St. Coletta of Wisconsin

Updated October 14, 2014
1.6

CEO

Great people

I worked at St. Coletta of Wisconsin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Long term employees who care for residents
    Service oriented

Cons

This community is in rural area

The Not-So-Charitable Organization

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at St. Coletta of Wisconsin full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The clients were challenging but endearing

Cons

No pay raises, no job advancement, workload, unsupportive management & coworkers

This non-profit organization (direct management & upper management) expects far too much from its direct care staff for the low wages they pay. I played the role of grocery shopper, accountant, cook, therapist, bather, chauffeur, teacher, nurse, and more, for only $10.50/hr for SEVEN women. Most of the time, I worked my shifts alone, or went to work in fear of being by myself, because the company's turnover was so high. There was little work/life balance due to the fact that management would call me on my days off and expect me to fill in for those who called off, or it was implied that I'd be "in trouble." At one point, a supervisor asked me to work an overnight shift (11pm-9am) immediately after working a 12-hour shift (according to the organization's policy, 16 hours is the maximum consecutive hours allowable to work).

My general understanding was that no matter how much I did, it was never enough. I never felt like my work was appreciated. I also never felt like I could trust my coworkers and supervisors, or HR; the environment was very gossipy and catty. There was little to no support, and I often went home completely burnt out, crying my eyes out.

This organization is based and directed from Jefferson, WI, and due to its distance, I feel like a lot of things in the Rolling Meadows division got swept under the rug and out of sight from Jefferson.

Although this job was extremely challenging, I loved the clients that I worked with (even though they could be challenging, too). I still think of them almost a year later and wonder how they're doing. I wish that I could have done more for them, but the organization did not provide the resources.

Not worth it

Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Jefferson, WI
    Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Jefferson, WI

I worked at St. Coletta of Wisconsin full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People were nice
    Leadership were OK

Cons

HR Dept was unreliable
    Did not offer enough training

Find reliable HR Generalists that care.

Horrible Place to Work! Run!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at St. Coletta of Wisconsin full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The clients they support are wonderful.

Cons

Horrible pay, non-existent and/or unaffordable benefits, no raises, and incompetent leadership team in Wisconsin.

Leadership is not progressive and stuck in their ways. They do not consider employee input for improvements; they make decisions in a vacuum. Illinois employees are treated like second class citizens.

Employees are treated as expendable garbage. Turnover is upwards of 60%, and there is a reason why. The whole environment is toxic!

Run, do not walk, away from this organization. They have plenty of competitors in the area who treat employees better.

The place is run by a bunch of clowns. Oh, and they don't REALLY care about the clients; it's all an act to protect their image.

Open your eyes! People do not leave because they were not a good fit. Take proactive action in solving the problems and people may want to stay longer.

Amazing learning experiance

Former Employee - In Home Aide in Jefferson, WI
    Former Employee - In Home Aide in Jefferson, WI

I worked at St. Coletta of Wisconsin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The clients are amazing, great to care for.

Cons

The politics and how management treats direct care workers.

Listen to your staff, the are the ones working with the clients not the people sitting in the office!