St. David's HealthCare

3.1

Jon M. Foster

St. David's is great!

I have been working at St. David's HealthCare as an intern

Pros

Great place to work everyone truly believes in the mission, and they show it

Cons

There are not cons that i can think of at this time. I have only been there for a month.

Better than the last place I worked

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Austin, TX

I have been working at St. David's HealthCare as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

This company takes care of it's employees. I'm sure some would disagree, but the smaller things have the biggest impact. The cafeteria food is healthy and tasty, free parking in the garage, a nice Keurig in the break room with a lot of coffee and creamer choices. I like the professional yet relaxed atmosphere. There is a supportive atmosphere of individual accountability. This was not present at my previous place of employment. This fosters a more professional and satisfactory environment and that directly impacts patient care.

Cons

It seems nurses with less than 10 years of experience go into supervisory and management roles. The cons of that is symptoms of burn-out manifesting itself in less work and taking it easy on the unit. I guess with nursing there will always be the type-A bossy type that are great at giving orders and laughing with their buddies on the unit while you drown.

Please constantly assess the effectiveness of your charge nurses and supervisors. Just because nurses are in that role does not mean they should stay in it. These overseeing roles have a major impact on morale on the unit.

Demanding month-end close, outdated systems, poor work-life balance

Former Employee - Accountant  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Accountant in Austin, TX

I worked at St. David's HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Embrace entry-level accountants
    Accounting staff and accounting managers are friendly and easy to work with
    Hospital is focused on exceptional patient care
    Flexible shift options outside of month-end close

Cons

Compensation IS NOT competitive
    Upper management is difficult - In the time I worked there, we never personally met the CFOs or Controllers of the hospitals!
    Poor work-life balance, especially during month-end close
    Paper-based environment with outdated systems
    Required to use personal PTO days for ANY holiday the department is closed (including Christmas)

Listen to the concerns of your staff and improve the culture.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

St. Davids should be ashamed

I have been working at St. David's HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In general the co-workers are nice. Education opportunities are available and generally paid for. Other than that...not much good to say.

Cons

Unsafe staffing practices; Management does not involve staff at all levels; Little room for advancement. Positions are filled by co-workers friends; The pay is insulting and raises have been reduced steadily while HCA is making record breaking profits

You would need a 100% overhaul to fix this company. It's a lost cause.

Good

Former Employee - Lab Tech  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Lab Tech in Austin, TX

I worked at St. David's HealthCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Work life balance for family life

Cons

Charge nurses not prepared for management roles

Cast System

Former Employee - RN CV-Operating Room  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - RN CV-Operating Room in Austin, TX

I worked at St. David's HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a job. Some of my co workers were awesome.

Cons

The residents are mean to the nurses. I was never taken seriously by any of them in the OR. Most of the time they tried to my job. I was told on multiple occasions that I only went to college to learn about a sterile field.
    There was zero team work,
    St Davids invests in their emergency staff, if you are not working in their emergency unit.. training(s) are not available, and the pay is not competitive.
    I functioned in a scrub and circulating nurse role. I was hired on as a OR nurse but spent the majority of my time in circulation.
    St David's Medical Center is a For-Profit Hospital. I would get in so much trouble when I would forget to scan any item I would give to the patients.

Stop playing favorites! I rarely saw my Head Nusre, when I did she was hanging out with her "Groupies" (That's what she called them). The nurse management needs to be involved with the day to day nurse roles. All management sits behind a desk and it's torture for them to stand up and assist their staff. I never had any help or any constructive feed back. I was only told what I was doing wrong, NEVER any suggestions on how I can ANYTHING better!!

Was a decent place to work

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Austin, TX

I worked at St. David's HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent benefits. Flexibility in scheduling. Mostly nice co-workers.

Cons

The unit I worked on had a problem with cliques. Members of the clique were given advanced training and educational opportunities while the rest of the staff were stagnating. Too much attention to pleasing the medical director who had a disproportionate share of input into nursing affairs, she micromanaged such things as where the linens and supplies were kept. Nursing management would not intervene and set limits with her. A lot of friction between young and older nurses. I transferred from an HCA facility in another city, so I kept my pay rate and made decent money there; however, it was appalling the low pay and the small raises they gave the rest of the staff. Physical layout of the unit was poor, but this could be due to the fact that they expanded it shortly before I went to work there and had limited options as to where they could expand.

Listen to the nurses advice about nursing matters and don't let physicians control everything. Offer advanced training and educational opportunities to a variety of staff members and not just a select few. Pay more attention to designing an efficient and workable unit and less to the decorative features.

Great customer care, but not so great employee treatment

Former Employee - CNA  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - CNA in Austin, TX

I worked at St. David's HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the reasons I stayed here so long was because I had a great team of nurses, CNAs, and doctors I was working with. Also, I met a ton of great patients whom I connected with easily and almost became like family to me. I enjoy helping others and it really resonated within me that I was doing something I truly love. They truly know how to take care of their patients and really put them as a priority.

Cons

Horrible management! That pretty much sums it up. The managers could not care any less for their employees and can't even realize that their high turnover is a result of this. I seriiously have no idea how such a hospital is still running and how it is still getting a budget to train new staff. I was not treated like an employee and was seriously not given a chance.

My advice to management and to the company as a whole is to send all your managers back to school and really teach them the different styles of management and how they need to reward and recognize their staff for everything that they do!

Registered Nurse

I worked at St. David's HealthCare

Pros

The manager was awesome, caring, and actually listened to what I had to say.

Cons

Understaffed... need I say more?

Good

I worked at St. David's HealthCare as an intern

Pros

Was a good learning experience

Cons

May be too fast paced for some.

Worked for St. David's HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!