St. David's HealthCare Reviews

3.4

Jon M. Foster

St. David's is great!

I have been working at St. David's HealthCare as an intern

Pros

Great place to work everyone truly believes in the mission, and they show it

Cons

There are not cons that i can think of at this time. I have only been there for a month.

Good

Former Employee - Lab Tech  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Lab Tech in Austin, TX

I worked at St. David's HealthCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Work life balance for family life

Cons

Charge nurses not prepared for management roles

Cast System

Former Employee - RN CV-Operating Room  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - RN CV-Operating Room in Austin, TX

I worked at St. David's HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a job. Some of my co workers were awesome.

Cons

The residents are mean to the nurses. I was never taken seriously by any of them in the OR. Most of the time they tried to my job. I was told on multiple occasions that I only went to college to learn about a sterile field.
    There was zero team work,
    St Davids invests in their emergency staff, if you are not working in their emergency unit.. training(s) are not available, and the pay is not competitive.
    I functioned in a scrub and circulating nurse role. I was hired on as a OR nurse but spent the majority of my time in circulation.
    St David's Medical Center is a For-Profit Hospital. I would get in so much trouble when I would forget to scan any item I would give to the patients.

Stop playing favorites! I rarely saw my Head Nusre, when I did she was hanging out with her "Groupies" (That's what she called them). The nurse management needs to be involved with the day to day nurse roles. All management sits behind a desk and it's torture for them to stand up and assist their staff. I never had any help or any constructive feed back. I was only told what I was doing wrong, NEVER any suggestions on how I can ANYTHING better!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was a decent place to work

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Austin, TX

I worked at St. David's HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent benefits. Flexibility in scheduling. Mostly nice co-workers.

Cons

The unit I worked on had a problem with cliques. Members of the clique were given advanced training and educational opportunities while the rest of the staff were stagnating. Too much attention to pleasing the medical director who had a disproportionate share of input into nursing affairs, she micromanaged such things as where the linens and supplies were kept. Nursing management would not intervene and set limits with her. A lot of friction between young and older nurses. I transferred from an HCA facility in another city, so I kept my pay rate and made decent money there; however, it was appalling the low pay and the small raises they gave the rest of the staff. Physical layout of the unit was poor, but this could be due to the fact that they expanded it shortly before I went to work there and had limited options as to where they could expand.

Listen to the nurses advice about nursing matters and don't let physicians control everything. Offer advanced training and educational opportunities to a variety of staff members and not just a select few. Pay more attention to designing an efficient and workable unit and less to the decorative features.

Great customer care, but not so great employee treatment

Former Employee - CNA  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - CNA in Austin, TX

I worked at St. David's HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the reasons I stayed here so long was because I had a great team of nurses, CNAs, and doctors I was working with. Also, I met a ton of great patients whom I connected with easily and almost became like family to me. I enjoy helping others and it really resonated within me that I was doing something I truly love. They truly know how to take care of their patients and really put them as a priority.

Cons

Horrible management! That pretty much sums it up. The managers could not care any less for their employees and can't even realize that their high turnover is a result of this. I seriiously have no idea how such a hospital is still running and how it is still getting a budget to train new staff. I was not treated like an employee and was seriously not given a chance.

My advice to management and to the company as a whole is to send all your managers back to school and really teach them the different styles of management and how they need to reward and recognize their staff for everything that they do!

Registered Nurse

I worked at St. David's HealthCare

Pros

The manager was awesome, caring, and actually listened to what I had to say.

Cons

Understaffed... need I say more?

Good

I worked at St. David's HealthCare as an intern

Pros

Was a good learning experience

Cons

May be too fast paced for some.

Great work environment with great people.

Former Employee - Resident  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Resident in Austin, TX

I worked at St. David's HealthCare as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great managers who really care about the employee

Cons

Everything was great in my experience

Corporate Disconnect

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at St. David's HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

;Best coworkers anywhere - truly care about each other and their patients.
    Flexible schedule.

Cons

Corporate (HCA) and hospital administration out of touch - more concerned with appearances than patient care.
    Set very high customer service standards, but do not allow the time, resources, or staff necessary to provide it.
    Staff recommendations fall on deaf ears (though they pretend to be listening.)
    Frequently under staffed.
    Meditech - an obsolete behemoth - each update means more time documenting, less time caring for patients.

Reallocate capital - priority should be on functional equipment needs rather than beautification.
    You have hard-working, dedicated people who are frustrated and discouraged - you will lose the best of them if they continue to be over-worked and hurried to the point they risk making mistakes.
    Implement recommendations from front-line staff - they are the ones providing patient care and are seen by the public - they are your customer service reps. They know what is really needed to do the job well.
    Seriously consider what your reports are really telling you - for example: is poor productivity a reflection of laziness, inefficiency, or lack of adequate staff?

Staff nursee

Current Employee - Staff  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff in Austin, TX

I have been working at St. David's HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule,good quality cafeteria,provide uniforms

Cons

Parking space,lockers always full,shifts not always available

Worked for St. David's HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!