St. David's HealthCare

Cancer Registrar

Current Employee - CTR in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - CTR in Austin, TX

I have been working at St. David's HealthCare

Pros

I love how each employee takes pride in his/her job, no matter what that job is at St. David's. I also like the recognition employees get at St. David's, through monthly employee recognition, Frist awards through HCA Healthcare network, and the annual Caregiver of the Year awards. It makes going into work each day worth it. Overall it's the best place I have ever worked.

Cons

St. David's employees used to have more interaction with administration and the CEO rounding on each department. It was an opportunity to let them know what is working and what needs improvement. They haven't done this for several years now.

Get back into rounding on your departments. The caregivers can tell you first hand where improvements need to be made, what equipment is needed, and what our patients expect from us.

Top tier in Austin

I have been working at St. David's HealthCare

Pros

Staff, human resources, size of hospital

Cons

Continued education lacking, there is a significant drop of compared to other hospitals in regards to staff preparedness and education.

do mock code blue training more often

Great culture, really appreciate the amount of education and support.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Austin, TX

I have been working at St. David's HealthCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The level of talent and the nurses are great. I really liked the amount of support provided by the management team. They really encourage furthering education, which is nice.

Cons

The pay was "competitive" but not at par with the cost of living in Austin. Most of the other staff had 2nd jobs as well.

Good Atmosphere, stingy compensation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at St. David's HealthCare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Facilities are clean and nice, full of new technolgies. Directors and managers create a great work atmosphere. They really try to make sure the people they hire will be a good fit with the team. Very little workplace drama.

Cons

Pay structure keeps people locked into a very right range, HR does not allow directors and managers to stray from this pay scale. Therefore, there's no use in displaying additional value or skill, you'll still be paid the same as the next guy. System rewards longevity over talent. Pay scale not raising fast enough to keep up with Austin's skyrocketing cost of living. Starting to acquire more and more seemingly useless paperwork in order to do the same job. Every effort is made the satisfy physicians above all others, to include the patient.

Your employees who have been here for 20 years aren't going anywhere. They own their homes which have doubled in value since Austin's recent boom. Your newer employees, however, are finding that once we get here it's hard to settle here with how much we're making. We're duped into thinking we're moving to Texas and the amount we're being offered sounds about right. But then we realize Austin isn't really like the rest of Texas. You're going to have to offer them more than a one time relocation bonus for people to afford a nice home here. This is especially true for those who work on-call with short recall times, restricting them to living in the most expensive parts of town. Your older employees may get upset to find out the new guy is making more, but if you're recruiting people from out of town, you're going to have to pay much more for them to settle in this new, more expensive marketplace. This is exactly why you can't retain the 1-5 year longevity people. We're finding it's much cheaper to live in Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio and make just as much if not more.

St Davids Hospital Loved the job, hated the lies and the politics

Former Employee - Secretary in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Secretary in Austin, TX

I worked at St. David's HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in the NICU. I loved my job. The parents were amazing for the most part. Helping folks during one to the hardest times of their lives was a blessing. The doctors and nurses who were there truly cared about the babies and were there with the best of intentions.

Cons

Some of the charge nurses and team leads were manipulative, gossipy and lazy. They would talk about the other nurses behind their backs. One of the charges nurses would brag to everyone whenever she got to write someone up. It was disheartening. It became very uncomfortable to work there. There was so much hostility and passive aggressive behavior. It was unbearable.

Also, they would force us to take surveys saying how great St Davids was. If we refused they would berate us and suggest we go work somewhere else. We had to take the survey...even though it was supposed to be voluntary.

Get rid of the charge nurses and the team leads who are making the work environment there so difficult. You know who they are. Stop letting them threaten you with lawsuits every time you write them up. They don't deserve to be there. Stop giving nurses who aren't qualified team lead positions. Just by getting rid of ONE charge nurse you would show the rest of the staff that you care about them. She needs to go STAT!

Start showing the good employees that they are appreciated.

Great Work environment

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Austin, TX

I have been working at St. David's HealthCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of support and learning opportunities. The Director here really pushes you to be the best of the best. The doctors are pleasant to work with. You can hear and see teamwork everywhere. Everyone is always willing to help out.

Cons

Austin has the lowest pay for nurses.
    6:1 ratio patients are sometimes a struggle especially when you start with 6 at the beginning of the shift.

Better than the last place I worked

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Austin, TX

I have been working at St. David's HealthCare as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

This company takes care of it's employees. I'm sure some would disagree, but the smaller things have the biggest impact. The cafeteria food is healthy and tasty, free parking in the garage, a nice Keurig in the break room with a lot of coffee and creamer choices. I like the professional yet relaxed atmosphere. There is a supportive atmosphere of individual accountability. This was not present at my previous place of employment. This fosters a more professional and satisfactory environment and that directly impacts patient care.

Cons

It seems nurses with less than 10 years of experience go into supervisory and management roles. The cons of that is symptoms of burn-out manifesting itself in less work and taking it easy on the unit. I guess with nursing there will always be the type-A bossy type that are great at giving orders and laughing with their buddies on the unit while you drown.

Please constantly assess the effectiveness of your charge nurses and supervisors. Just because nurses are in that role does not mean they should stay in it. These overseeing roles have a major impact on morale on the unit.

Demanding month-end close, outdated systems, poor work-life balance

Former Employee - Accountant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Accountant in Austin, TX

I worked at St. David's HealthCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Embrace entry-level accountants
    Accounting staff and accounting managers are friendly and easy to work with
    Hospital is focused on exceptional patient care
    Flexible shift options outside of month-end close

Cons

Compensation IS NOT competitive
    Upper management is difficult - In the time I worked there, we never personally met the CFOs or Controllers of the hospitals!
    Poor work-life balance, especially during month-end close
    Paper-based environment with outdated systems
    Required to use personal PTO days for ANY holiday the department is closed (including Christmas)

Listen to the concerns of your staff and improve the culture.

St. Davids should be ashamed

I have been working at St. David's HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In general the co-workers are nice. Education opportunities are available and generally paid for. Other than that...not much good to say.

Cons

Unsafe staffing practices; Management does not involve staff at all levels; Little room for advancement. Positions are filled by co-workers friends; The pay is insulting and raises have been reduced steadily while HCA is making record breaking profits

You would need a 100% overhaul to fix this company. It's a lost cause.

Good

Former Employee - Lab Tech in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Lab Tech in Austin, TX

I worked at St. David's HealthCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Work life balance for family life

Cons

Charge nurses not prepared for management roles