St. John's Health System

Kim Day

Pt Access

Former Employee - Pt Access in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Pt Access in Springfield, MO

I worked at St. John's Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very good pay and good benefits.

Cons

Management tended to be promoted on favoritism.

For the most part, great until I became "older".

I worked at St. John's Health System

Pros

They are now more patient-oriented and focus on the patient needs with much more compassion than a few years ago. For the most part, most of upper management is fair.

Cons

Unfair employment practices, but get by with it because they are so huge. Low pay for most positions because they can get by with it, as well. The employee surveys are a farse! Unfair to older co-workers and those reaching retirement age.

Take time to listen to disgruntled co-workers. You may not be getting all the information correctly from your managers. Monitor unfair or biased personnel more closely.

Great place to work!

I worked at St. John's Health System

Pros

The benefits and employee perks like having an employee store in the main hospital were amazing! I felt taken care of and I would definately work there again if the opportunity arise.

Cons

Not all managers were the best (one was known for being especially rude) and there was a sense of some people being a little underhanded but overall they were alright.

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Springfield, MO

I have been working at St. John's Health System

Pros

I have a very understanding boss - flexible with time off especially if you have a family. Co-workers are all very supportive and kind to each other. Patient-centered care. I love that we are more of a ministry than a company. The employees care about doing a good job.

Cons

We operate in "crisis mode" often, but at least there are downtimes too. I dislike all the paperwork and beuracracy - seems like it takes forever to get anything accomplished... you have to know the right person to call.

Everyone is too busy all the time! It's very stressful. Leaders are often here working 60+ hours a week and skipping meals and it's unhealthy. Need to drop some initiatives or higher more staff or something.

Great Reputation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at St. John's Health System

Pros

St John has a great reputation in the community, but I am uncertain where it comes from. As an employer they cling to very outdated management styles and techniques while working very hard to present a modern appeal.

Cons

Inflexible and communication goes only downhill

Employee turnover, morale, profits, and patient safety would all be improved if the workforce were truly empowered

A great patient care community.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at St. John's Health System

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at St.John's Health System is the abundant patient interaction as well as the cooperation between nurses and laboratory professionals to ensure quality patient care.

Cons

One of the downsides of working at St.John's Health System is that in some departments after holding a certain position, there is no additional opportunity for advancement and growth.

It would be great if leadership is promoted and implemented in every department of the hospital perhaps by creating new positions or even adding new responsibilities to currently held positions.

Good environment but no growth

Current Employee - Analyst in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Springfield, MO

I have been working at St. John's Health System

Pros

Good work environment; Meaningful Work; They are on the cutting edge in implementing technology and other new practices.

Cons

All positions other than physicians and upper management are on the very low end of the pay scale; There is not a lot of opportunity for growth in an administrative role, and there is no mentoring.

Set up some sort of management training program for administrative positions or else you will lose all of your talent.

Keep up the good work.

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Springfield, MO

I have been working at St. John's Health System

Pros

Close to home. Big Hospital. By partnering with those of similar callings, they strengthen their ability to provide creative, high quality, cost-efficient health care to all in need. Sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy, they are guided in ministry by the Mercy heritage of special concern for the poor, sick and uneducated. They uphold the values and principles inherent in the teachings of the Catholic Church. They respect and value the dignity of each human life at all stages of development and conditions. They seek to promote good health and well-being while at the same time strive to relieve suffering and address its causes. They believe this service is an opportunity for all involved to come to a deeper understanding of the true meaning and gift of life. They recognize and respect the diversity of religious beliefs, cultures, and abilities and are driven by values that compel them to provide compassionate, personalized care to the fullest extent that human and material resources will allow.

Cons

Long hallways, but I burned calories!

Put PT's and OT's and SLP's on billboards! Not just doctors.