St. John's Medical Center

Not yet rated.

Lou Hochheiser

Worked as an RN in ICU FOR >10 years

I have been working at St. John's Medical Center

ProsRN's in ICU had a great deal of autonomy and adhered to a high standard of care. A great place to learn. There was a lot of stability in that there was a core of long-term employees. Intensivists and ACNP's were highly skilled and worked well with staff RNs.

ConsManagement in ICU changed every 2-3 years, so there were challenges with different leadership styles.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure what the board was thinking when they let CEO/President Cliff Coker get away. His management philosophy proved to be fiscally successful, as evidenced by the partnerships that were forged and the wide expansions that were initiated under his tenure. His open interactions with ALL staff made us truly feel appreciated and improved morale. His daily pt/family rounding made our customers feel valued and truly cared for.

Work Environment

Administrative (Current Employee)
Jackson Hole, WY

I have been working at St. John's Medical Center full-time for more than a year

ProsNice work site, good benefits, pay for continuing education,

ConsUnfair posting process, management does not follow Employee Handbook rules, Human Resource leadership weak and does not advocate for Employees, No real process in place for Employees to express concerns, Management truly does not want to hear or respond to feedback, No real process for Employee relations resolutions, Management will retaliate against employees who question processes. The work place seems to churn and burn employees

Advice to Senior Management1. Get a real HR Leader 2. Provide training for new Managers 3. Follow the rules within the employee handbook 4. Develop a real process for employees to express concerns 5. Have a real Performance Review process in place 6. Have and follow a real position posting process 7. Hold Managers accountable.

Great company

Tulsa, OK

I have been working at St. John's Medical Center

ProsGreat for advancement and education

ConsLong hours but can be rewarding

Good Place to Work

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
Tulsa, OK

I have been working at St. John's Medical Center

ProsGreat place to work with good pay. Compared to other hospitals this one is staffed MUCH better. They seem to actually care if you are able to provide good patient care.

ConsIt seems as though they are starting a transition from being run by the sisters to being run by a CEO. I hope this is a smooth one.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to work a little harder on the educational opportunites for workers. Expand on the programs available the you will reimburse educational expenses for.

Not what I expected

Staff RN (Current Employee)
Longview, WA

I have been working at St. John's Medical Center

ProsCo-workers are a good group of people

ConsInflexibility. The atmosphere is one of 'you should be happy we even hired you'. They do not go out of their way for their employees in any manner. Rigid. Communication is poor. Sorry I signed on and will not persue other positions.

Advice to Senior Managementbecause you're the only game in town doesn't mean you have to make life difficult for your employees. Learn to appreciate them, learn to think outside the box and realize that offering some flexibility will go a very long way.

A great place to work for folks who love the outdoors and living in a small community.

Director of Social Services (Current Employee)
Jackson Hole, WY

I have been working at St. John's Medical Center

ProsExcellent group of professionals in a small medical center dedicated to optimizing quality of life for community members.

ConsCost of living in the area
In-fighting between CEO and board members
Management's belief that pay is competitive when it really isn't.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut themselves on the level of the common employee

Great Place to work

I have been working at St. John's Medical Center full-time

ProsGood benefits, great people, helping the sick.

ConsChanges and cutbacks, upper management sometimes did not listen well to people who actually do the jobs.

Worked for St. John's Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at St. John's Medical Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for St. John's Medical Center CEO Lou Hochheiser. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by St. John's Medical Center employees.