St. John's Medical Center

3.2

Lou Hochheiser

Worked as an RN in ICU FOR >10 years

I have been working at St. John's Medical Center

Pros

RN's in ICU had a great deal of autonomy and adhered to a high standard of care. A great place to learn. There was a lot of stability in that there was a core of long-term employees. Intensivists and ACNP's were highly skilled and worked well with staff RNs.

Cons

Management in ICU changed every 2-3 years, so there were challenges with different leadership styles.

I'm not sure what the board was thinking when they let CEO/President Cliff Coker get away. His management philosophy proved to be fiscally successful, as evidenced by the partnerships that were forged and the wide expansions that were initiated under his tenure. His open interactions with ALL staff made us truly feel appreciated and improved morale. His daily pt/family rounding made our customers feel valued and truly cared for.

Opportunities at St. John's

Current Employee - Staff RN
    Current Employee - Staff RN

I have been working at St. John's Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

With St. John's I have had many opportunities to build a solid experience base working in many areas of healthcare. There has been a high degree of autonomy and opportunity for creativity within the areas I have been employed. Fellow employees have been wonderful team members, highly intelligent, and motivated to do good work in our community.

Cons

Some areas of administration/senior management can be very self serving, not transparent, there is low trust, and low sense of security. Pay is absolute minimum for the job description with very little opportunity to move up in this area.

Improve communication, honesty, visibility, is always best.

Not much growth potential.

Current Employee - Client Specialist in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Client Specialist in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at St. John's Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The medical benefits are the only good qualities of this job.

Cons

No growth potential. No raises or promotions. No flexibility. Unhealthy work environment.

Take business classes and up grade the management style. Right now the company is using the old-style of leadership and they act as though employees are not self motivated or want to do a good job.

Work Environment

Current Employee - Administrative in Jackson Hole, WY
    Current Employee - Administrative in Jackson Hole, WY

I have been working at St. John's Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice work site, good benefits, pay for continuing education,

Cons

Unfair posting process, management does not follow Employee Handbook rules, Human Resource leadership weak and does not advocate for Employees, No real process in place for Employees to express concerns, Management truly does not want to hear or respond to feedback, No real process for Employee relations resolutions, Management will retaliate against employees who question processes. The work place seems to churn and burn employees

1. Get a real HR Leader 2. Provide training for new Managers 3. Follow the rules within the employee handbook 4. Develop a real process for employees to express concerns 5. Have a real Performance Review process in place 6. Have and follow a real position posting process 7. Hold Managers accountable.

Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at St. John's Medical Center

Pros

Great for advancement and education

Cons

Long hours but can be rewarding

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at St. John's Medical Center

Pros

Great place to work with good pay. Compared to other hospitals this one is staffed MUCH better. They seem to actually care if you are able to provide good patient care.

Cons

It seems as though they are starting a transition from being run by the sisters to being run by a CEO. I hope this is a smooth one.

Try to work a little harder on the educational opportunites for workers. Expand on the programs available the you will reimburse educational expenses for.

Not what I expected

Current Employee - Staff RN in Longview, WA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Longview, WA

I have been working at St. John's Medical Center

Pros

Co-workers are a good group of people

Cons

Inflexibility. The atmosphere is one of 'you should be happy we even hired you'. They do not go out of their way for their employees in any manner. Rigid. Communication is poor. Sorry I signed on and will not persue other positions.

because you're the only game in town doesn't mean you have to make life difficult for your employees. Learn to appreciate them, learn to think outside the box and realize that offering some flexibility will go a very long way.

A great place to work for folks who love the outdoors and living in a small community.

Current Employee - Director of Social Services in Jackson Hole, WY
    Current Employee - Director of Social Services in Jackson Hole, WY

I have been working at St. John's Medical Center

Pros

Excellent group of professionals in a small medical center dedicated to optimizing quality of life for community members.

Cons

Cost of living in the area
    In-fighting between CEO and board members
    Management's belief that pay is competitive when it really isn't.

Put themselves on the level of the common employee

Great Place to work

I have been working at St. John's Medical Center full-time

Pros

Good benefits, great people, helping the sick.

Cons

Changes and cutbacks, upper management sometimes did not listen well to people who actually do the jobs.