St. John's Mercy Medical Center

St. John's Mercy Medical Center President & CEO Lynn Britton

Lynn Britton

Great Place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsGreat feeling of love and helpfulness.

ConsSometimes Pay, other times the Corporation takes over and makes choices that Mercy may not otherwise make.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the company motto!

A Great Place to Work

Pct (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe people are so friendly, helpful, and down-to-earth. It makes being passionate about patient care so much more rewarding!

ConsHardly any -- I honestly can't thing of one.

Good place to work if you have the right manager.

ProsGood benefits, never a dull moment.

ConsStarting pay is extremely low, never take the first offer and don't be afraid to walk away. Maximum annual raise is 4% but most only get 2%.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise pay for the people that are doing the most work. We have some co-workers that do just enough to get by while others carry the load all for the same pay.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Hospital

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsI loved my internship here!

ConsI can't think of any cons.

Friendly and very open minded atmosphere

Decontamination Engineer (Former Employee) Chesterfield, MO

ProsThe people at Mercy are very friendly and easy to work with. While I was here, it was extremely easy to get to know people and become friends as well as coworkers and the atmosphere this creates is one where to look forward to going into work every day.

ConsAs with any hospital or healthcare institution, there is the political side of running things, and due to this, it can get frustrating at times when you are left unable to do your job as effectively as you could because of things that are out of your control.

The "Palace on Ballas" has been torn down by Mercy

Registered Nurse (Former Employee) Creve Coeur, MO

ProsBecause of constant building Mercy is up to date looking throughout the entire hospital. Private patient rooms are great pluses for staff, too. They invest in the newest high tech equipment which is wonderful. Machinery is top notch & always working. (although sometimes not always enough to satisfy high demand for them).

ConsContinually taking away from employees what was earned. ie I worked at Mercy since early 1970s. We were given bonus vacation days based on yrs of service--taken away. We earned time & a half with union & although promised they wouldn't take away items earned they did. In 2012 overtime became $5 or less. Poor overall attitude toward employee retention. Cheaper to hire new grads. HORRIBLE YEARLY MERIT RAISES. The more property Mercy purchased the worse it became for ALL staff. Newspaper article reported upper management @ COO, CFO, etc levels given HUGE yearly raises. UN-Merciful was commonly heard chant.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a LOT more time on the floor & in dept. Obviously they must attend a LOT of meetings however I had a recent manager who came to help out staff whenever our dept was 'crazy'. We really respected her & appreciated these efforts. After she was 'let go' the new manager spent all her time in the office only appearing to give new employee prospects a tour. My dept became very cliquish. Younger nurses standing far too close to pt rooms & talking about how intoxicated they were the previous weekend. Texting at work was a real problem even though forbidden--discipline was too casual & meted out based on friendship with clinical supervisors. Younger & younger managers & clinical supervisors without guidance from older nurses with more life experiences equals disaster. (In my opinion at least--there was NO one over 32 or 35 at the oldest ). In other words, you could advance if you were friends with the right people....

Overall, not bad.

Patient Care Associate (Former Employee) Creve Coeur, MO

ProsMeeting new people, interacting with the patients, occasional free food, discounts

ConsManagement(in the department I worked in) & coworkers

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make rules, and only apply them to "certain people".

The atmosphere was very supportive of new nurses and the other employees were excellent to work with.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsSupportive hospital environment. Good workers.

ConsLow starting pay comparative to other cities in MO. Scheduling was often inflexible.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou will retain better staff if you pay them comparably. Also, you need to make sure that the schedulers take into consideration the employees' needs. This was the number one complaint.

I was grateful for my first job out of nursing school. I worked there one year in inpatient acute care in Springfileld.

Registered Nurse (Former Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsResources are great and the newer portion of the hospital is spacious. Much of the interior finishes are beautiful - making for a pleasant patient and employee experience during a tough time.

ConsThe pay is extremely low, especially for floor staff in relation to executive salaries. At times, the upper management appears to be hostile towards RNs - putting nursing directors and assistant directors in difficult positions. Now that I have worked elsewhere, I know how awful it was at Mercy.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorry less about attaining Magnet status as a PR stunt and worry more about treating staff like valued employees - you can start by paying them more than assembly line workers.

Its ok for work if you have to work.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsShort commute and easy to park

ConsIt doesn't pay well and management is not receptive to your problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementControl lateral violence.

Worked for St. John's Mercy Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!