St Johns County School District

Not yet rated.

Kelly Battell

Good school district!

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) Saint Augustine, FL

ProsGood pay and benefits. Good schools. Good students, teachers, and parental involvement.

ConsSubstitute teaching can be difficult at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire me and pay me well because I deserve it.

Best Performing District in Florida

Teacher (Current Employee) Saint Augustine, FL

ProsA progressive school district.
    Offer plenty of professional development opportunities for teachers.
    District always strives to be the best.

ConsA lot of pressure is placed on teachers to "conform".
    Teachers are micromanaged by school administrators.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow teachers more autonomy in how they run their classrooms

St. Johns County School district is an awesome place to work, lots of experiences, but still some troubles to overcome.

Teacher (Current Employee) Saint Augustine, FL

Prosstrong professional development, resources, and backing of leaders

Consstuck up, old school, need downtown restructuring

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of ineffective people, look for new that can help you grow more than you can imagine. They have so many resources at their fingertips, it would be great to use it effectively and provide to support to teachers and students who need it most.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Welcome to good ole' boy network

ProsGreat school district. . . number 1 in state.

ConsIf you want to move up, you really need to know someone in the "club."

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the best people for the job.

This job can be the right one for you if you need afternoon hours, have little to no higher education and enjoy children

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, good starting salary for no experience, rewarding if you like to work with children in grades K-5.

ConsVery Limited opportunities for advancement. Lack of respect by "degreed" teachers. Must be VERY flexible in willing to do others' work. Afternoon hours only.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter understanding of how demanding job can be. Allow more input from the teachers. Communicate job expectations.

It's a government job..

Accountant (Former Employee) Saint Augustine, FL

ProsThe school district is the largest employer in the city. Compensation is somewhat in line with national/state averages. Benefits are good. Free health clinics are available to employees and their families.

ConsThose looking for upward mobility will not find it here. Very low turnover combined with a shrinking annual budget make finding openings difficult.

It needs some polishing

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Augustine, FL

ProsTime off is very generous. Employees tend to become like family. Leave requests are almost always granted, even right up until departure.

ConsLack of professionally-degreed staff at top of management chain, especially in skilled professional positions. The district tends to rely on principals as a cover-all executive solution, which is very narrow-sighted.

Advice to Senior ManagementImmediately assess your leadership and supervisory teams for qualifications. The measure of success should be more demanding than, "I grew up with her, so I would like to work with her as a peer..."

Bad time at St Johns County School District

ProsI enjoyed working with the student and teachers.

ConsThey are very closed to changes. As in any job your managers very in skills. In the IT department it is very bad an all levels. They have poor or no real reviews. If your manager likes you you may be OK but I would be very careful

Advice to Senior ManagementI would have better reviews. You can be doing great one year and then not the next with out any warning. IT management needs to be review better...poor communications and directions all the way up to the CIO (very little care for his people...runs it like the military...where he is from...tends to loose/not attact good people)..

Difficult at best - no backup from bosses & no benefits & no pay when school's out

Sub Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsSome of the kid's are great... some try to hurt you. Summer is off - but no pay -
    It's mentally draining - but physically easy.

ConsSame as above... I did both

Worked for St Johns County School District? Contribute to the Community!