St. Joseph Health System

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
3.1

Deborah A. Proctor

Pros
  • Joseph Health System is flexible with schedules to include a positive work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great People, they take kindness seriously (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • When Emory took over upper management changed (in 3 reviews)

• Communication between management and staff is in great need of improvement (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System

Pros

Everybody has a job and knows how to do it. it's busy all the time and there are no silly committees.

Cons

Sometimes the workload is overwhelming.

I worked there for over 8 years

Former Employee - Manager PAS in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager PAS in Atlanta, GA

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent patient care. The doctors and nurses are awesome. The team I worked with in registration are some of the best people I've had the pleasure to work with.

Cons

When Emory took over upper management changed. The moral of staff went down and Emory's management didn't care. They added supervisors and deleted managers. Now that the complaint are rolling in they are hiring managers again. Wow they deleted my job for what?

Care about your staff. Happy staff happy patients. Everyone is on edge and it's hard to work well like that.

A forward thinking organization that strives dilligently to be an industry leader.

Current Employee - Director in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Irvine, CA

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are very pleassant and kind. Being a catholic organization, everyone uses a reflection prior to a meeting which is really a great way to calm oneself down and be able to focus squarely on the task at hand.

Cons

Being in healthcare, the biggest con are the changing legislative mandates which continually put pressure on the orgnaizations workforce to stay up to date on new/old/upddated mandates. This creates stress which in turn can lead to burnout but the organization does a good job of placing avenues for relief for the employees.

Continue to retain and promote talented employees. The future of the organization lies in the young personnel that you have and by keeping the employees around to learn from the tenured staff, it will allow for this great culture to continue on!

Decent place to work, nice employees, low turn-over.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent healthcare benefits. Generous PTO and education reimbursement. Employee wellness incentive programs in place. Gym membership reimbursement. Company fosters continuing education. Flexible hours - willing to accomodate changes in personal schedule.

Cons

Pay was not competitive with other major hospitals such as Sutter or Kaiser. In fact, most positions paid an average of 15-30% lower than those at Kaiser and Sutter.

Very tough to move up career ladder at this hospital. Management and supervisor positions in my department were all held by employees who had been there 15+ years.

Lots of union/labor issues. Complaints and drama amongst employees made the environment feel toxic and unprofessional many times.

Administration seemed to be constantly downsizing departments during my time there.

Offer employees more clear pathways to advancement. Management needs to recognize employees for their hard work and ensure that hard work, effort, and dedication is rewarded with promotion and pay increase. It isn't enough to just say "thank you" in the annual review.

Went from Good to bad to ugly.

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good team I work with, when were not pulled or floated somewhere else. Insurance and benefits are ok.

Cons

Always understaffed. Overworked and underpaid. No management; never know whose running the place. Never listen to employees and keep on adding more and more paperwork and computer work. Making no time for patient care.

Get it together.

RN

I worked at St. Joseph Health System

Pros

Self scheduling was nice to have.

Cons

Unsafe pt nurse ratio was common.

Hoped to work at St. Joseph Health System for many years

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Anaheim, CA

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many of the employees are great team players, supportive and knowledgeable. The values that employees are expected to uphold encourage strong faith and charity.

Cons

Management encourages and then does the opposite of what they expect from employees. They promise new initiatives and programs to encourage growth and then they make hasty cuts.

Leadership/executive management should be held to a higher standard for the decisions they make their employees and the health system as a whole.

The Sisters and colleagues were fantastic, my immediate supervisor? Not so much.

Former Employee - Marketing Communication Specialist in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Communication Specialist in Irvine, CA

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The belief system that the Sisters developed was great. I only wish everyone followed them.

Cons

There was no room for advancement and my immediate supervisor was not flexible with deadlines.

Suicide in the OR

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only good reason to work here is they at least can pay you on time.

Cons

Everyone has seniority. There are too many masters and not enough slaves. Management has offered others working at competing hospital with less experience nearly 40% more to come work here, and turnover in this department is high because the educated ones will not stay since the ones less educated have favored the right people to make all the decisions. Pay rates are a laughable and the drama is endless.

Sack all staff and start from scratch. That is the ONLY way you will have the "premier" health system in Texas by the end of 2015. History repeats itself and this vicious cycle has gone on far too long.

great to their medical assistants.

Current Employee - Medical Assistant
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System full-time

Pros

Benefits and structure, great people and opportunities.

Cons

flexibility is not the best.

Be flexible with peoples lives.

St. Joseph Health System Photos