St. Joseph Health System

Add Photos

Deborah A. Proctor

Love my job

Research Coordinator (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsI love my patients and having the time to get know each one of them.

ConsToo much regulatory paperword

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in process to minimize time writing out paperwork.

Information Technology

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Orange, CA

ProsThe salary was generous. If you're a senior member of the team with the right management, they will pay for training and certification. Easy to get time off when you need it.

ConsNo loyalty, Crazy Politics, Very poor IT Management, Poor IT Project Management. The IT organization is highly reactive, rather than proactive. Too many junior level engineers plugging holes, rather than utilizing influence to standardize and improve implementations/optimizations. Most members of IT don't have any long-term vision. Many IT Consultants (Blue Mountain Labs, Datu Health, Local Back Haul) are partially owned by the CIO (Bill Russell), but the CEO (Debra Proctor) allows it based on their personal friendship. Apparently, they have a personal relationship ($$$) that condones unethical behavior. During my tenure, it was very difficult to have challenging conversations even with difficult/challenging people. Accomplishing projects is almost unheard of due to the number of hoops that PM's and IT staff need to jump through to complete their work. The most difficult challenge was replying on junior engineers to accomplish tasks with a certain level of integrity. IT management cares more about project timelines than implementing high-quality solutions. IT Site directors do not make decisions in alignment with any particular IT standard, they simply do what they want for their individual hospital regardless of the long-term inconsistencies that it creates. Overall, it's a very chaotic environment to work for. Unless you're making 175+ per year, it's not worth the time or effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would strongly recommend replacing the CIO and CEO of this organization. While SJHS preaches that they follow a Christian culture, the sisters are no longer in charge of the organization, therefore, the values are no longer catholic based and enforced, they are corporate values, but under very poor leadership.

I worked as a case manager here for 4 years.

Case Manager (Current Employee) Lexington, KY

ProsI enjoy working with patients to be sure their needs are met at discharge, that part is rewarding. I also enjoy most of my coworkers. I think the case management department really does care about doing a good job for the patients.

ConsIt is supposed to be a no overtime department, unless they are short-staffed and need you to work an extra day on the weekend, HA! They are almost always short staffed and expect you to do the work of 1.5-2 people on a regular basis. There is a lot of turnover in the department. The manager that just left was very difficult to deal with, critical, very little people skills. The new manager has better people skills, but is more interested in utilization review that case management, not sure how that is going to work out down the line.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe hospital really needs to step up and provide better psych coverage, more services on weekends, adequate staffing for case management in order to keep the length of stay down where they want it. The hospital recently closed down 2 units and laid off 80+ staff, morale is down...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Housekeeping

Housekeeping (Former Employee) Nicholasville, KY

ProsThe pay was ok. My coworkers were nice people and made me feel welcomed.

ConsThe amount of work that was put on one person was unbelievable. I was expected to clean the entire building by myself.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the hard working employees

Follows values and walks the walk

ProsValues are very important. Culture of dignity is working.

ConsChanging health care environment stressful for all.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused.

Leadership does not lead with its core values of service, dignity, excellence, and justice

Chief Operations Officer (Former Employee)

Prossome positions have a flexible schedule

Consfavoritism, no trust, weak executive leadership

Lacks Core Values

Mid Management (Former Employee) Orange, CA

ProsPatients, benefits and many of my coworkers were a plus!

ConsAdministration and site management fail the employees. The organization states itself as a Catholic Organization with Core Values of Service, Justice, Excellence and Dignity. Its a shame that these traits are no longer incorporated into the treatment of employees. Since they've moved most of the Nuns out and "corporate" moved in the organization has lost the original focus intended by the Nuns. Its a shame.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize your employees are a huge reason the organization function. You may recognize 4 people every year for the "values", but the morale remains low for the other 364 days of the year. Show your workers that you value what they do and support them when they come to you with issues. Don't sweep them under the carpet and pretend issues don't exist. This new breed of administration coming in has lost the human aspect.

Driven by mission, vision and values

Manager - Manager (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsThe commitment to live by the values is real. That doesn't mean everybody is perfect, but the culture promotes a genuine attempt to exemplify the mission, vision and values. People are generally friendly and helpful. I feel valued here.

ConsI've not experienced any major cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be present, visible and accessible. Keep your eye out for those of us doing a great job and we'll be loyal and make this company great!

The number one worst 3 months in my 27 years as an employed RN

NICU RN (Former Employee) Eureka, CA

ProsThe second floor ortho/peds dept night shift are very normal Nurses who appreciate the help and are respectful of other nurses. A great outstanding nurse on night shift in the NICU was really one of the saving graces of the OB dept. She is knowledgeable and works really hard to make up for the absolutely incompetency there. An excellent Charge nurse in PCU who by the way is a traveler and explained to me that the nurses on that floor were very needy and inexperienced so just baby them and show them what to do.

ConsI was hired as level 2 NICU but was pushed into level 3 work by head nurses. Very lazy and untrained nurses. The ones with good skills have been lulled into laziness by lack of patients. The worst thing is arrogant young nurses who really believe they know what they are doing. I was literally pushed out of the way by a inexperienced nurse who thought I was doing a birth wrong while her patient was bleeding out. One nurse who followed me reported me for letting an IV infiltrate when the truth was I told her in report to watch the IV it was red but we had nursed the IV through the night because the patient was going to get long term abx. I guess she forgot the antibiotic was running and she let it infiltrate and told the head nurse it must have been running to fast just so she didn't get blamed. I could go on and on but there were a few good nurses who worked side by side with me and warned me about the bad majority of really untrained personnel. I had to show nurses how to insert NG tubes and run TPN and start IV's and tie restraints. One Charge nurse said I tied a patient to the bed with a bed sheet when I was tying the sheet to the foot of the bed so the patient wouldn't throw it off on the floor. It was like I was in a clown hospital. My last contract lasted 1 year because my contract was always re-newed and the NICU charge nurse said I was one of the best nurses she had worked with in 20 years. I went from that evaluation in a busy 60 bed NICU to a bad evaluation in a 4 bed NICU. HA doesn't make much sense does it?

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your travelers with some respect. Talk to them if there are problems face to face. To the OB dept. There is a reason all your patients prefer going to Mad River hospital (a local county hospital with no money) to deliver and its not just the MD's. Although the MD's are really something else as well. If your MD is being stalked by a violent criminal who is armed and its her husband...maybe put her on a leave. Some of the Nurses and one MD are so fat they can hardly walk down the hall. That really is not acceptable. You put everyone in danger when a nurse or physician can't move fast enough to get the job done. No judgement as I have a few xtra lbs but especially in Land D where you have to move fast sometimes.It is not fair to the patients to have their care compromised in that way. Seriously management, Mad River Hospital is horrible and have no equipment or supplies and yet patients would rather deliver their babies there then at St Joe's, that is something to look at very hard.

avoid corporate; work in the hospitals

ProsBefore the current CEO, D.P., took office.

ConsThis place has gradually gone downhill during the times I have been in and out of this company. Things like Facilities and IT used to be in house, but Facilities for all hospitals is now part of a for-profit company, which miraculously is associated by SJH (most, if not all were previous SJH employees). IT was at one point Dell, then Blue Mountain. Blue Mountain now re-branded to DayTu (sp). Again, another for profit company. Now SJH is affiliated with Hoag Hospital ("affiliated" sounds better so it doesn't make SJH look like a for profit company). I think the hospitals would run sooo much better WITHOUT the corporate/system office. You have business people running technology projects without understanding the technological impacts, project managers/program managers/managers/directors who shouldn't even have these titles. Disaster Recovery? Nope, crappy.

Now that they moved to Irvine, if only patients can see where their money went to -- game room, new furniture, etc. **sigh** worst of all, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange know that this is going on, but unfortunately there are very few active Sisters that can voice their opinions with making a great impact/change to decisions made.

Someone/some governing body needs to do a financial audit on this company too. Trust me.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep looking pretty with your 6-figure salaries and bonuses.

Worked for St. Joseph Health System? Contribute to the Community!