St. Joseph Health System

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
3.1

Deborah A. Proctor

Pros
  • Joseph Health System is flexible with schedules to include a positive work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great People, they take kindness seriously (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • When Emory took over upper management changed (in 3 reviews)

• Communication between management and staff is in great need of improvement (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

MBA Intern

Current Employee - MBA Intern in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - MBA Intern in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Leadership works to promote a unified company vision and the growth ladder within the company is stellar. Work/Life balance is wonderful, and upper management is very understanding about working with your schedule.

Cons

Sometimes employee benefits are lacking when compared to other competitors. In addition, there seems to be some red-tape when working with other departments on running events or coordinating functions.

Look after the employees a little bit more and try to make their work lives a little easier.

Driven by mission, vision and values

Current Employee - Manager - Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Manager - Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The commitment to live by the values is real. That doesn't mean everybody is perfect, but the culture promotes a genuine attempt to exemplify the mission, vision and values. People are generally friendly and helpful. I feel valued here.

Cons

I've not experienced any major cons.

Continue to be present, visible and accessible. Keep your eye out for those of us doing a great job and we'll be loyal and make this company great!

Lacks Core Values

Former Employee - Mid Management in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Mid Management in Orange, CA

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Patients, benefits and many of my coworkers were a plus!

Cons

Administration and site management fail the employees. The organization states itself as a Catholic Organization with Core Values of Service, Justice, Excellence and Dignity. Its a shame that these traits are no longer incorporated into the treatment of employees. Since they've moved most of the Nuns out and "corporate" moved in the organization has lost the original focus intended by the Nuns. Its a shame.

Recognize your employees are a huge reason the organization function. You may recognize 4 people every year for the "values", but the morale remains low for the other 364 days of the year. Show your workers that you value what they do and support them when they come to you with issues. Don't sweep them under the carpet and pretend issues don't exist. This new breed of administration coming in has lost the human aspect.

Leadership does not lead with its core values of service, dignity, excellence, and justice

Former Employee - Chief Operations Officer
    Former Employee - Chief Operations Officer

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

some positions have a flexible schedule

Cons

favoritism, no trust, weak executive leadership

Good people, slow progress

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of the employees have become very close, and it's a good sized hospital. Not too large, but also not cramped. They have done a lot of renovations to the main hospital in the last year or so. The manager I have is fantastic and motivating, which is probably one of the best things about working here.

Cons

I work in a smaller department. Most of the employees have become complacent in their skills and don't work to sharpen up. I think most of this is because we are overworked and underpaid. For instance, they have needed to hire another person for about 6 months and it has yet to be done, so the rest of the staff has to divide up the work. Seeing too many patients per person along with dismal raises equals low morale.

Recognize the "little people" more... They are the glue of the facility.

avoid corporate; work in the hospitals

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System

Pros

Before the current CEO, D.P., took office.

Cons

This place has gradually gone downhill during the times I have been in and out of this company. Things like Facilities and IT used to be in house, but Facilities for all hospitals is now part of a for-profit company, which miraculously is associated by SJH (most, if not all were previous SJH employees). IT was at one point Dell, then Blue Mountain. Blue Mountain now re-branded to DayTu (sp). Again, another for profit company. Now SJH is affiliated with Hoag Hospital ("affiliated" sounds better so it doesn't make SJH look like a for profit company). I think the hospitals would run sooo much better WITHOUT the corporate/system office. You have business people running technology projects without understanding the technological impacts, project managers/program managers/managers/directors who shouldn't even have these titles. Disaster Recovery? Nope, crappy.

Now that they moved to Irvine, if only patients can see where their money went to -- game room, new furniture, etc. **sigh** worst of all, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange know that this is going on, but unfortunately there are very few active Sisters that can voice their opinions with making a great impact/change to decisions made.

Someone/some governing body needs to do a financial audit on this company too. Trust me.

Keep looking pretty with your 6-figure salaries and bonuses.

The number one worst 3 months in my 27 years as an employed RN

Former Employee - NICU RN in Eureka, CA
    Former Employee - NICU RN in Eureka, CA

I worked at St. Joseph Health System as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The second floor ortho/peds dept night shift are very normal Nurses who appreciate the help and are respectful of other nurses. A great outstanding nurse on night shift in the NICU was really one of the saving graces of the OB dept. She is knowledgeable and works really hard to make up for the absolutely incompetency there. An excellent Charge nurse in PCU who by the way is a traveler and explained to me that the nurses on that floor were very needy and inexperienced so just baby them and show them what to do.

Cons

I was hired as level 2 NICU but was pushed into level 3 work by head nurses. Very lazy and untrained nurses. The ones with good skills have been lulled into laziness by lack of patients. The worst thing is arrogant young nurses who really believe they know what they are doing. I was literally pushed out of the way by a inexperienced nurse who thought I was doing a birth wrong while her patient was bleeding out. One nurse who followed me reported me for letting an IV infiltrate when the truth was I told her in report to watch the IV it was red but we had nursed the IV through the night because the patient was going to get long term abx. I guess she forgot the antibiotic was running and she let it infiltrate and told the head nurse it must have been running to fast just so she didn't get blamed. I could go on and on but there were a few good nurses who worked side by side with me and warned me about the bad majority of really untrained personnel. I had to show nurses how to insert NG tubes and run TPN and start IV's and tie restraints. One Charge nurse said I tied a patient to the bed with a bed sheet when I was tying the sheet to the foot of the bed so the patient wouldn't throw it off on the floor. It was like I was in a clown hospital. My last contract lasted 1 year because my contract was always re-newed and the NICU charge nurse said I was one of the best nurses she had worked with in 20 years. I went from that evaluation in a busy 60 bed NICU to a bad evaluation in a 4 bed NICU. HA doesn't make much sense does it?

Treat your travelers with some respect. Talk to them if there are problems face to face. To the OB dept. There is a reason all your patients prefer going to Mad River hospital (a local county hospital with no money) to deliver and its not just the MD's. Although the MD's are really something else as well. If your MD is being stalked by a violent criminal who is armed and its her husband...maybe put her on a leave. Some of the Nurses and one MD are so fat they can hardly walk down the hall. That really is not acceptable. You put everyone in danger when a nurse or physician can't move fast enough to get the job done. No judgement as I have a few xtra lbs but especially in Land D where you have to move fast sometimes.It is not fair to the patients to have their care compromised in that way. Seriously management, Mad River Hospital is horrible and have no equipment or supplies and yet patients would rather deliver their babies there then at St Joe's, that is something to look at very hard.

No opportunity to advance unless you're in nursing

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System

Pros

Decent health benefits, good perks for working while going to school.

Cons

There is no opportunity to advance. Despite having a bachelor's degree and several years of experience on the job, unless you're degree is medical forget it.

Contractors beware !

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are desperate for a job, and you can hide from directors and execs - you can work here for a little while.

Cons

Beware Contractors.....If you are visible to directors, vps, cio - then get ready to be blamed for everything - even if it is good, you will be blamed for something, so mgt looks great. They change their mind by the hour - accuse you of not knowing they changed their mind (as if you are a mind reader)....and watch out - they will say things and deny it minutes later.

They set you up to fail.....tell you there is $budget and resources - when there are neither !

The management is all new - have no clue how to be managers - they just bark at you and boss you around and call you stupid idiots behind closed doors.

I would never recommend a friend to work here - their goal seems to be to treat you like an idiot, tell you to just obey their commands, then criticize you for not being a self-starter and "just do it" person. If you "just do it" - they will threaten you with terminiation....and tell you to just do what they say!

It's hard to believe that Catholic Nuns influence this place......the evil leadership does anyting to look good, and you will be the sacrificial lamb to make them look this way !

Treat people with Dignity and Respect that you tell everyone to do that works for you. Enable your people to think, not just sit there waiting to be told what to do. And stop blaming them for sitting there - becuase you threaten and punish them if they do try to think.

Go get training how to be a manager - you don't have a clue. Barking orders to professionals would make Druker roll over in his grave.

If you are too good at what you do, you can kiss your promotion GOOD BYE~!

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System full-time

Pros

- Very relaxed and laid back work environment.
    - Great co-workers

Cons

- Draws VERY clear line between full time and contract workers
    - ZERO career movement
    - No Bonus, VERY low wage increment
    - Managers are busy finding your mistakes
    - Rarely recognize your exceptional work
    - Below market compensation.
    - Incompetent managers/directors
    - Lag of communication between the management and team members

At one point, company was on top 100 best place to work. Now... everyone (or at least on my department) is looking to get out or already getting out of St. Joseph. Also, couple of departments are ran by the incompetent directors/managers. Before you hire some as leader, do some back ground check! Also, managers! PLEASE learn how to motivate your team members. Rather than hiring some incompetent managers, how about promote within your team? or at least ask or give chance to your own? HAVE SOME FAITH IN YOUR OWN TEAM MEMBERS!

St. Joseph Health System Photos