St. Joseph Health System

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015
3.1

Deborah A. Proctor

Pros
  • Joseph Health System is flexible with schedules to include a positive work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great People, they take kindness seriously (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • When Emory took over upper management changed (in 3 reviews)

• Communication between management and staff is in great need of improvement (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

The number one worst 3 months in my 27 years as an employed RN

Former Employee - NICU RN in Eureka, CA
    Former Employee - NICU RN in Eureka, CA

I worked at St. Joseph Health System as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The second floor ortho/peds dept night shift are very normal Nurses who appreciate the help and are respectful of other nurses. A great outstanding nurse on night shift in the NICU was really one of the saving graces of the OB dept. She is knowledgeable and works really hard to make up for the absolutely incompetency there. An excellent Charge nurse in PCU who by the way is a traveler and explained to me that the nurses on that floor were very needy and inexperienced so just baby them and show them what to do.

Cons

I was hired as level 2 NICU but was pushed into level 3 work by head nurses. Very lazy and untrained nurses. The ones with good skills have been lulled into laziness by lack of patients. The worst thing is arrogant young nurses who really believe they know what they are doing. I was literally pushed out of the way by a inexperienced nurse who thought I was doing a birth wrong while her patient was bleeding out. One nurse who followed me reported me for letting an IV infiltrate when the truth was I told her in report to watch the IV it was red but we had nursed the IV through the night because the patient was going to get long term abx. I guess she forgot the antibiotic was running and she let it infiltrate and told the head nurse it must have been running to fast just so she didn't get blamed. I could go on and on but there were a few good nurses who worked side by side with me and warned me about the bad majority of really untrained personnel. I had to show nurses how to insert NG tubes and run TPN and start IV's and tie restraints. One Charge nurse said I tied a patient to the bed with a bed sheet when I was tying the sheet to the foot of the bed so the patient wouldn't throw it off on the floor. It was like I was in a clown hospital. My last contract lasted 1 year because my contract was always re-newed and the NICU charge nurse said I was one of the best nurses she had worked with in 20 years. I went from that evaluation in a busy 60 bed NICU to a bad evaluation in a 4 bed NICU. HA doesn't make much sense does it?

Treat your travelers with some respect. Talk to them if there are problems face to face. To the OB dept. There is a reason all your patients prefer going to Mad River hospital (a local county hospital with no money) to deliver and its not just the MD's. Although the MD's are really something else as well. If your MD is being stalked by a violent criminal who is armed and its her husband...maybe put her on a leave. Some of the Nurses and one MD are so fat they can hardly walk down the hall. That really is not acceptable. You put everyone in danger when a nurse or physician can't move fast enough to get the job done. No judgement as I have a few xtra lbs but especially in Land D where you have to move fast sometimes.It is not fair to the patients to have their care compromised in that way. Seriously management, Mad River Hospital is horrible and have no equipment or supplies and yet patients would rather deliver their babies there then at St Joe's, that is something to look at very hard.

No opportunity to advance unless you're in nursing

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System

Pros

Decent health benefits, good perks for working while going to school.

Cons

There is no opportunity to advance. Despite having a bachelor's degree and several years of experience on the job, unless you're degree is medical forget it.

Contractors beware !

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you are desperate for a job, and you can hide from directors and execs - you can work here for a little while.

Cons

Beware Contractors.....If you are visible to directors, vps, cio - then get ready to be blamed for everything - even if it is good, you will be blamed for something, so mgt looks great. They change their mind by the hour - accuse you of not knowing they changed their mind (as if you are a mind reader)....and watch out - they will say things and deny it minutes later.

They set you up to fail.....tell you there is $budget and resources - when there are neither !

The management is all new - have no clue how to be managers - they just bark at you and boss you around and call you stupid idiots behind closed doors.

I would never recommend a friend to work here - their goal seems to be to treat you like an idiot, tell you to just obey their commands, then criticize you for not being a self-starter and "just do it" person. If you "just do it" - they will threaten you with terminiation....and tell you to just do what they say!

It's hard to believe that Catholic Nuns influence this place......the evil leadership does anyting to look good, and you will be the sacrificial lamb to make them look this way !

Treat people with Dignity and Respect that you tell everyone to do that works for you. Enable your people to think, not just sit there waiting to be told what to do. And stop blaming them for sitting there - becuase you threaten and punish them if they do try to think.

Go get training how to be a manager - you don't have a clue. Barking orders to professionals would make Druker roll over in his grave.

If you are too good at what you do, you can kiss your promotion GOOD BYE~!

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System full-time

Pros

- Very relaxed and laid back work environment.
    - Great co-workers

Cons

- Draws VERY clear line between full time and contract workers
    - ZERO career movement
    - No Bonus, VERY low wage increment
    - Managers are busy finding your mistakes
    - Rarely recognize your exceptional work
    - Below market compensation.
    - Incompetent managers/directors
    - Lag of communication between the management and team members

At one point, company was on top 100 best place to work. Now... everyone (or at least on my department) is looking to get out or already getting out of St. Joseph. Also, couple of departments are ran by the incompetent directors/managers. Before you hire some as leader, do some back ground check! Also, managers! PLEASE learn how to motivate your team members. Rather than hiring some incompetent managers, how about promote within your team? or at least ask or give chance to your own? HAVE SOME FAITH IN YOUR OWN TEAM MEMBERS!

Unmission statement

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Lubbock, TX

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Covenient and benefits are adequate

Cons

Management in Lubbock is not much more than overpaid seat warmers, all decisions are made in California and no one in Lubbock has the guts to stand up for anything.

Nice company to work for with good benifits.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time

Pros

Good benifits and opportunities to learn and grow with the company.

Cons

They tend to have alot of lay-offs.

Please be more transparent with employees.

Miserable

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Anaheim, CA

I worked at St. Joseph Health System as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Not sure if there are any.

Cons

Infrastructure management has a very confrontational attitude towards contract employees. We are "just <f word> contractors, so just do your job or you'll get replaced." Management uses threats instead of leadership, and this is towards both contractors and employees.

The network and telecom group seem to be all learning on the job, with no real current skillsets. This is evident with a new VoIP program being implemented. No technical or management experience, but yet the expert provider hired to implement is constantly ignored.
    Not sure if the CIO is aware of the incompetent infrastructure management, but he really needs to take a close look.

IT doesn't seem to follow the core values instilled by the Sisters, and the this is the first place I have ever seen where using LEAN methodologies is completely backward actually causing increased and duplicate work effort.

The CEO and CIO need to take a very close look at Infrastructure to see the underlying issues of poor management and decisions. You cannot brow beat employees, or promote techs to manager that just become parrots...really.

Excellent work environment very good management team

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Orange, CA

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great management good supervisor and peers

Cons

Location office moved too far to drive

None

Opportunity for Productive Employees

Current Employee - Director in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Irvine, CA

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Growth opportunity, faith-based, fair pay, friendly environment, access to senior leadership.

Cons

Can be political, minimal staff in most areas, conflicting ever-changing priorities, ongoing struggle between system office and individual hospitals which causes great delays an impacts productivity.

Increase transparency, greater alignment with hospitals so we can function as a true health system. Hoag? I don't even know where to begin...

I felt at home with St. Joesph Health System

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

St. Joseph Health System is flexible with schedules to include a positive work-life balance. They encourage continued education and benefits are provided. There are opportunities for growth and development.

Cons

Some downsides are from a leadership stand point. Not everyone is open to large initiatives and consolidations that include major change. Also, it may be hard to adapt to all the new reforms and changes in healthcare.

St. Joseph Health System Photos