St. Joseph Health System

2.8

Deborah A. Proctor

Strategic Services Manager

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System

Pros

High-Level Exposure
    Large-Scale Projects with Organizational Impact

Cons

Narrow career path and future opportunities

Phenominal role if you are interested in the planning aspect of healthcare, but lacks the operational component. If you want to pursue future employment in operations or finance, this is not the ideal job, however if you want to be in planning, this is excellent.

Going downhill

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System

Pros

The company has great values and being a Catholic organization, you are encouraged to be open about your faith. Deborah Proctor seems very genuine, kind, and smart. All the Sisters are wonderful!

Cons

Corporate is very secretive and wasteful. In the last few years, they have made decisions to downsize (which many companies have had to do) however they did not execute well and many employees were left wondering what happened to the values. Employees also learn that while they're taking hiring freezes, merit freezes, staff reductions, working double duty, etc. that corporate has been spending lavishly and continues to make secretive large dollar purchases on products that are not executed. Employees are discouraged to speak honesty when it is not what executives want to hear. They tell you there's an open door policy but when you express concerns, you are not well received and certainly learn a valuable lesson in keeping your mouth shut. Employees are now in an environment where they fear losing their jobs. When asking an employee in another department for any help that is needed from their department, it is now the norm to not receive a phone call back or email response period, even after several attempts. It's really become a sad place and it's common to hear in the hallways that "If I could find another job, I would leave immediately."

Leadership has drawn such a big line between executives and staff. Employees are feeling inferior and insignificant. Leadership should reach out to employees with anonymous surveys. Employees are too afraid to speak the truth these days. The only message sent from leadership are ones bragging of own achievements and ones falsely representing the situation as rosy.

St. Joseph Health System is an exceptional values-based place to work.

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System

Pros

Not for profit, values-based organization
    I feel we make a huge difference in the community
    Biggest and Best Hospital in our area
    Fair employer
    Challenging work
    My boss encourages innovation and creativity
    Workplace diversity
    Great, committed employees- highly engaged staff

Cons

Executive Management changes frequently, and good things we've done fall by the wayside because of lack of commitment by leadership;
    Executive Management at local ministry currently seems to be floundering, punitive, reactive
    Weak leadership in Nursing Division
    Health System imposes changes without regard to situation at specific ministries
    Healthcare system in U.S. is archaic and needs a complete overhaul... things move slowly
    Information Systems are fragmented, don't communicate with each other; we use way too much paper still, too much hand entering, possibility of errors

Executives need to set clearer (measurable) individual goals and expectations. There are several leaders in the organization who seem to be coasting, and collecting huge salaries for no visible results.
    Executives need to hold leaders accountable for results

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good place to work . I have been there for > 15 years, and plan on retiring there.

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System

Pros

St Joseph Health System is a great place to work for. They have excellent core values they expect employees to adhere to. For the most part, I can say it is a great organization to work for. I have no plans to go elsewhere.

Cons

The only downside I have seen really in > 15 years is opportunity for advancement is somewhat unfair. I have seen quite a bit of nepotism go on. It seems promotion sometimes is not based on performance, but who you know, or who you are related to.

Cut down on the nepotism issue. Base advancement, and promotion on performance, not who you know, or who you are related to! That really downs morale when those who truly do not deserve promotion get it, because of who they know, or who they are related to!

Very disappointed in the support from management and the decision making of said management.

I worked at St. Joseph Health System

Pros

Colleagues are a plus. They excercise shared governance in their policy making. Express the necessity for teamwork. Competancy of the workforce.

Cons

Discipline is discretionary, not based on severity of decision, mistake, or attitude. Mangement and staff should be held accountable to the same standards. Too much time is needed to obtain raises. Evaluation tool is lengthy and needs updating. Communication between management and staff is in great need of improvement.

Tell the whole truth when it comes to the fiscal aspects of each entity within the healthsystem. Coordinate a panel of management and regular staff when hiring personnel. Everyone needs to be held acountable for their actions, upper mangement, department heads, and regular staff. Base decisions on actual capability of the healthsystem not on status or competition with other healthcare systems.

You must become a member of the "good old boys" to survive and advance.

I worked at St. Joseph Health System

Pros

Friendly, decent benefits package, good health insurance

Cons

Difficult to know where you stand in your relationship with management, lack of pay raises or incentives to obtain further education

Treat all employees fairly and remember that management isn't always right.

Decent Place to Work

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System

Pros

Benefits, pay, work life balance, friendly co-workers

Cons

Poor communication between management and staff.Staff not included in important discussions.
    Often inadequate resources to get the job done to the level the management team expects.Pressure to work off the clock.

Please include staff in brainstorming how to resolve problems.We have good ideas and perspectives you may not be aware of.

Worked for St. Joseph Health System? Contribute to the Community!