St. Joseph Medical Center

Jeffrey K. Norman

1. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Towson, MD

I have been working at St. Joseph Medical Center part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Community hospital full of people who truly care about our patients and work hard to give them the best care. I could make more money working somewhere else but I like the feeling I get when I come to work, I like the culture.

Cons

Money is tight and everyone is being asked to do more with less. As a bedside nurse, I am required to work a lot of weekends and holidays.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if the management were a little more visible to the people who are working for them.

2. RN

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Pay not up to other companys

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

3. The place went from decent to downhill in a hot minute

Former Employee - Patient Access Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Patient Access Representative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at St. Joseph Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice location, easy to get to from KS or MO. They have a base of loyal employees who have been there for a million years. The rest is high turnover.

Cons

They changed from being a great employer who cared about their employees into a company in financial crisis mode who completely abandoned the majority of the things that made it a good place to work. After the economy recovered, they didn't bring back any of the good things they had stripped. Perhaps it's okay for people who weren't there before, but trust me. It used to be an okay place to work, and now it's not.

Advice to Management

You're probably being underpaid. Also, they might eliminate your position at any minute. Just FYI.

5. don't stay long

Current Employee - Medical Technologist (Lab) in Perry Hall, MD
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist (Lab) in Perry Hall, MD

I have been working at St. Joseph Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a hospital (for the patient) it's a great place. Not such a great place to be employed.

Cons

benefits could be better. pay is fine. The biggest problem I have is with communication. Leadership does not communicate well at all, my department, especially, was horrible at communicating with their employees. Also, there is a big problem with keeping supplies in stock, which is very frustrating when you're trying to do your job.

Advice to Management

communicate! meetings and e-mails with your employees (not just managers) are necessary. Listen to your staff and incorporate their ideas.

6. Great coworkers. Disillusioned management.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Towson, MD

I worked at St. Joseph Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. Religious traditions, spiritual care. Caring staff. Not a city hospital so free parking and no traumas. Excellent cardiac, Ortho, OB, and stroke center.

Cons

More and more being put on the staff without compensation or appreciation; more is being taken from staff including disability and bonuses. Docs and nurses care and are dedicated but are getting burned out.

Advice to Management

You're burning out your employees. Your standard of care is lessening because your nurses and docs don't have the support they need to do their job well. Hire more. Pay more. Support more. Cut exorbitant pay of the higher ups and stop cutting the staffing on the patient care level or st joes will not be the same st joes that our patients have always loved.

7. please read

Pros

Great company to work for with amazing benefits. Its just great because pf management

Cons

There can be work place politics at times but you have to show your worth

8. I

Current Employee - Certified Patient Care Technician in Merriam, KS
    Current Employee - Certified Patient Care Technician in Merriam, KS

I have been working at St. Joseph Medical Center (More than a year)

Pros

Like family. Everyone is so kind.

Cons

Very day-shift minded. Night shift get's forgotten about for a lot of things or we have to come in a lot earlier or stay a lot later to go to meetings or other things.

9. Nice but needs some workings from the inside

Former Employee - Dayshift Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Dayshift Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at St. Joseph Medical Center (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great location to work, Towson area. Mid size local hospital with a big hospital feel. Friendly staff to work with and has some degree of interdepartmental unity.

Cons

Everything shouldn,t be about the budget when it comes to true patient care; from the support services, up to the Executive Board. You can't put a cost on true quality when it comes down to patient care..

10. Unorganized

Current Employee - Faculty Physician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Faculty Physician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at St. Joseph Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Global organization encouraging advancing career with tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Medical leadership is an all boys club. Even if you are well qualified educated if you are girk you will not be promoted.

Advice to Management

Physican leadership needs to have more women

11. Pros

Dont really have one, but its a community based hospital where research is not given much improtance

Cons

management is difficult to be convinvced to believe in patient care outcomes achieved with more clinical projects

Advice to Management

same as above, can assign appropriate task to appropriate people and better utilize the resources they have

RSS Feed </> Embed