St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Icu RN

Former Employee - Staff Nurse, RN in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse, RN in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent minds, educational opportunities, excellent learning environment, very nice facility, modern, up to date equipment, flexible schedule and excellent work life balance. Wonderful/talented medical staff. Good teamwork, good relationships and respect between nurses, physicians and ancillary staff. Good benefits and retirement. Unit manger was very understanding with personal life and flexible with scheduling.

Cons

Underpaid. difficult to get promotions/ progress. Will work u very short staffed which can be unsafe. Lots if micromanagement on telling u what you need to do but no help to do it. Upper management seems to be getting worse with the above issues and more disconnected from what is realistic at for one person to do with very little help at the bedside. I feel like this has changed when we went from CHW to dignity health. Becoming too costumer service and family oriented rather than safety and patient oriented, will sacrifice staff happiness of staff for budget or to meet ridiculous demands by pt's family's.

Appreciate your staff more and don't work them do short, back them up with exceptional families instead of catering and encouraging this behavior. This causes many people to become burnt out. This place a started with something special, the spirt of charity and compassion and doing the right started by the catholic nuns, don't become so focused on money and chasing surveys.

I was treated like I was just another number , I was over-worked and underpaid.

Current Employee - Health Unit Coordnaitor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Health Unit Coordnaitor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work with top neurosurgery doctors.

Cons

Management is terrible and pay is below average.

Re evaluate the leaders you have chosen to manage your nursing units.

A Horrible work environment. Nurses are treated very poorly.

Current Employee - Staff Nurse, RN in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse, RN in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They will hire Anyone! Good place for a new grad with no experience.

Cons

Some of the "older" experienced RN's look down on the new RN's. Staff has a negative attitude, condescending comments and attitude are the normal. This is called "lateral violence". (If you are a victim of lateral violence you should consider taking legal action.) Senior management just tolerates it. The bad seeds are never disciplined, so it just continues. Most of the decent well adjusted people move on after they have a few years experience. The pay is incredibly low compared to other hospitals in this area.

Always understaffed to the level of being unsafe for the patient and your nursing license!! Never enough Nursing Assistants. 32 bed unit operates with one Nursing Assistant when it should have 2 - 3. This means NA will only take 2 of your 4 pts. So RN has to do total care on Two patients ( all vitals, all bathroom, clean all poops, empty trash and linens. Zero help with this patient, no matter the acuity). Then when the other patients need help NA is not available because he/she is too busy with other pts, overloaded.

Take appropriate corrective action with your experienced staff. Stop playing favorites. Lateral violence should be zero tolerance!
    Attention Unit Directors : Staff your units appropriately for safe patient care. Stop focusing on coming in under budget so YOU can get a BONUS. Do whats right for you patients and your hard working staff for a change.
    Cut out all the BS corporate talk where you go through the motions of acting like you hear us and Actually Listen, Then take action based on that feedback.

Top notch facility.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and very up-to-date equipment and practice.

Cons

The parking is a bit silly. You have to pay to park as a daytime employee or park at an off-campus satellite plaza (which, for me, was further away from the facility than my place of residence). The management could use some pointers, but wasn't absolutely horrible. The one downside is that you really do have to fight for sitters even when a doctor says it is necessary for the patient's safety. The patient to nurse levels are really nice, but if you need help? Forget about it. Virtually no techs or aides to help, and the other nurses are always too busy to... even the charge RN. The pay isn't remotely competitive.

Some refining is necessary, and more of an emphasis on teamwork would be nice.

It's a good place to gain experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits.
    You can learn a lot if you are open to it.

Cons

Below average pay.
    Not the safest area, employees can not park on campus unless they are willing to pay, and the areas they allow for parking are not great. You have to plan a half hour in advance to take the shuttle and make it on time.
    And, depending on what unit you work in, there are many "high school type" situations that occur. If you are not willing to brown nose, then you will not find many opportunities. Management does not seem to enforce all of the rules with all individuals.

Don't make promises that you can not keep. Treat all of your staff as equals. And be willing to get out there, get your hands dirty, and help your nurses when it becomes obvious that they need it. And don't forget to support your ancillary staff too.

Upper Management communicates in multiple ways.

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Highest level management is great. They utilize many communication methods to keep staff up to date across all shifts.

Cons

1-Middle management needs more personnel training, plus backing from HR to take care of nonproductive employees.
     2-Unless you are a nurse, career progression has no advancement track.

Give HR the teeth it needs to back managers who wish to help nonproductive employees move on.
    Non-nursing departments need a strategic plan.

Sad that it's gone downhill in the last 18 months...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Pay seems to be competitive
    Good benefits in general
    The employees are dedicated to patient care and each other

Cons

Extremely high turn over in the last two years has lead to instability, from upper management to housekeeping. I've been with St. Joseph's for nearly a decade and have never seen such turn over.

It is a teaching hospital, and that is wonderful when there is teaching going on, but in the last couple of years, it seems that there are staffing issues that have led to other issues. We are short staffed on physicians in particular, which leads to an overutilization of medical students and residents. They have become cheap labor.

I am so disappointed that this hospital has let their employee appreciation and values go by the wayside. They ask for suggestions, but don't listen. Layoffs were happening at the same time that all of the landscape was being re-done. Priorities?

St. Joe's used to go to great lengths to make sure that each employee felt they had value and made a difference in the organization. Somehow that has gotten lost.

Benefits - although the coverage it very good, we are held hostage by our hospital/insurance. They make it so costly to go anywhere but our institution for care, that you really don't have a choice. I understand that it's in their best interest fiscally, but there are times when you don't want co-workers to know your personal business and health issues, but can't afford to go to another institution for surgeries, hospitalizations, etc.

VERY top heavy. There are an average of 6 employees to every 1 person in leadership (supervisor/manager/director/VP/etc.). Fact, not speculation.

Thin out the top (executive leadership/management), listen to the employees' concerns and suggestions. When you ask for ways to improve the budget, and we tell you that the landscaping being changed multiple times each year is wasteful, don't tell us it comes from a "different bucket" of money. People on the verge of being laid off don't want to hear that, they want to hear how it can be balanced and how jobs can be preserved. When there is extremely high turnover (50% of staff and physicians leave in a 6 month period from one particular clinic), look at the cause. Stop letting politics within the hospital interfere with patient care and employee satisfaction.

great, but uncertain....

Current Employee - Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

great benefits with relatively nice people.
    A good hospital in general. Close to many food options as well and not far from Light Rail.

Cons

There is an uncertain financial future here at the hospital. Raises and bonuses are unknown at this point. You hear of many people being laid off--I guess it is part of the tough economic times for a non-profit hospital.

Challenging, rewarding and fulfilling - always pushing me to excel. An effective ministry.

I have been working at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center

Pros

Corporate Values are worked out daily - staff are held accountable to the Values.
    Compensation and benefits are some of the best in the industry and performance-driven.
    Excellence is expected, encouraged and exemplified at every level in every department.

Cons

If you live in the outer suburbs it is a significant drive into the city every day.
    The place is big ... and the cafeteria is small - but at least the food is great, and we have a Starbucks.
    You will be expected to work to our values - Dignity, Collaboration, Stewardship, Justice, Excellence.

keep encouraging us, keep holding us accountable, keep leading the way...I am thankful for respectful management who do care and give so much in the midst of such challenging times and intense change in healthcare. Thank you for treating and keeping SJHMC as a mission and not a job.

Voted #1 Best Place to Work AGAIN!

I have been working at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center

Pros

There is a reason why St. Joseph's is a great place to work. It is because of it's people, from it's leadership team all the way down, that they have been named the #1 Best Place to Work in Phoenix for a third year in a row.

Cons

Large campus, downtown Phoenix location and challenging work. St. Joseph's is a place where you work hard all day and everyday but at the end of the day it's rewarding work.

Stay true to yourselves. You are doing a great job! You truly exemplify your mission, vision and values. Congrats on being named a great place to work locally and nationally.