St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Updated February 22, 2015
4.2

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing

Pros
  • They offer great benefits and several employee perks (in 6 reviews)

• Great place to work, great science, great facilities (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Human resources department is very fair and balances out these disparities in style of working among departments as much as possible (in 3 reviews)

• Demanding work schedule and long hours (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

71 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Pediatric Oncology Education (POE) Program

Former Intern - Pediatric Oncology Education (POE) Program in Memphis, TN
    Former Intern - Pediatric Oncology Education (POE) Program in Memphis, TN

I worked at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent summer internship experience for anyone considering a career in the fields of cancer research or medicine. Every member of the faculty and staff genuinely cares and is focused on the health and well-being of the children and their families. Despite the gravity of illnesses of the children, the hospital is filled with hope and joy, as any child should experience.

Cons

The only con would be that this is a summer internship experience, and full time research assistant positions are difficult to come by.

Jan 26, 2015Recruiter

Thank you for your response! We are glad that you enjoyed your time at St. Jude and were able to contribute to our mission. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Not what I expected

Current Employee - Research Lab Specialist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (more than 3 years)

Pros

The salary.

They do organize events for employees.

Cons

Memphis appears to be up and coming, but its not the greatest place to live. Also they literally fly you out right after your interview ends, so it's a blind slate when you start house shopping. That is tricky as the majority of houses near St Jude are not save to live in so navigation is important. But maybe that's the point, they don't want you to stick around even a day to see what you are in for?

The health insurance makes frequent errors and takes at least 60 days to correct them whIle you get stuck with the bill. Its a big headache almost every time despite there being a St Jude contact point with Cigna.

MD members are required to publish and generally do so by stripping the scientists who completed the work of proper, and sometimes any, credit. They trade authorship like candy at closed door meetings. If you try to talk to HR about productive strategies to deal with this, as it's a common complaint, instead of being constructive they will rat you out to your supervisors. And you will be bullied into submission. Big message? You are replaceable. Don't like it? Leave. I guess HR didn't like the negative segments of glassdoor reviews as we were told by HR to come fill them out.

Very poor reward systems, the one in place I know of for research is hardly impartial. Its hard to motivate when you see lazy people being rewarded and hard workers being ignored. Or worse mistreated. Salary incentives are also sub par as even with outstanding reviews you will get nearly the same raise as an employee who is struggling.

This kind of environment seems to favor people who don't wish to better themselves, but instead try to make others look bad. The rest burn out after about a year or two. Little clicks are created, Ive seen more screaming matches here than I ever did in high school, and it's just a bum deal considering some of us really did come because we believe in the mission statement. Of course the negative science reviews were here when I came and I looked past them believeing that an open and honest discussion prior to work being conducted could help resolve those situations. It doesn't.

If you see that many people seem to share the same opinion of the research environment then why not address it?

Feb 27, 2015Recruiter

We hate to hear that any St. Jude employee feels unheard and unappreciated. All of our employees deserve respect, appreciation, and a chance to contribute to our mission while developing themselves ... More

Best place to work.

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very good working environment. Good benefits. I have been working in St. Jude since 2003. I enjoy working in my laboratory.

Cons

I don't think there are any cons.

Jan 14, 2015Recruiter

Thank you for your review and thank you for 10+ years of service!!

It's awesome place to work.

Current Employee - Research Lab Specialist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

provide work friendly. Emphasizing work-life balance. good benefits.

Cons

no bonus, job stability is related with research fund.

Jan 8, 2015Recruiter

Thank you for your kind words! We really appreciate the work you do.

The mission and money coming into this nonprofit makes this a very rewarding place to work, but still has career limits

Current Employee - Research Technologist in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Research Technologist in Memphis, TN

Pros

Amazing Technology in the labs
    No shortage of money for research
    Amazing mission statement and feel like I am helping a bigger cause

Cons

See lots of money wasted in the research labs
    Promotions are hard to come by, usually done by length of service rather than career development
    Salaries can be lower than similar positions at other companies

Jan 26, 2015Recruiter

Thank you very much for your review! We truly appreciate all of the time you have spent advancing the mission of St. Jude(you are definitely helping a bigger cause). Hopefully you've heard about ... More

I have learned a great deal and had the privilege of working with many talented, experienced professionals.

Current Employee - Senior Scientist GMP Manufacturing in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist GMP Manufacturing in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good hours. Decent salary. Good experience. Independence.

Cons

There are no major cons I can think of.

Jan 26, 2015Recruiter

Thanks for the review! Glad to hear you are enjoying your time at St. Jude.

great place to work for

Current Employee - Research Associate in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

research resources and great environment

Cons

no negative so far as I saw

Jan 26, 2015Recruiter

Thank you for the response. Our Research Associates are an integral part of what we do everyday! Thanks for all you do.

Great Work place…with amazing benefits.

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Memphis, TN

Pros

Great Work place and an amazing mission " Finding cures and saving children".

Cons

immediate supervisors need to focus on implementing the projects than finding ways of how not to do it. Very slow execution.

Make it little more agile environment , especially in iT projects.

Jan 27, 2015Recruiter

Thank you for the review and the work you are doing in our IT department. Your insight about slow execution is very helpful to hear. We will make sure to pass along and hopefully the new strategic ... More

Employees who got promoted by Stjude hospital management / or ALSAC board - needs review, investigation, prosecutions.

Former Employee - Information Technology Staff in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Information Technology Staff in Memphis, TN

I worked at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a Children's Research Hospital mismanaging donations in millions by public in USA with the blessings of bad management to fool public to give more and more millions of dollars more donations....it's pathetic to see this corruption grow everyday!

Cons

Hospital is getting donations by systematic propaganda by current ALSAC, Memphis, TN. However, current hospital management is not reliable according to fellow employee(s) experience over years. Top level is made up of families (can provide names) for decades and they made good employees' contributions to the hospital miserable by violating US labor, compliance, and work place bullying with the blessings of current hospital and HR management staff who are friends for many decades at Stjude - very disgusting to experience.

If corrupted institutions, in my opinion, new young talent must replace the management staff in both institutions. Oldies, you all either go home or prison!...investigation only will determine in a civilized world of your destination!

its okay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

The mission of helping sick children is of course a big bonus. Pay is okay. Parking is free. There is a gym.

Cons

I am not sure how it is one of the "100 Best Places to Work". Other than the mission, there is nothing too exceptional about working there. Salary and benefits are pretty standard.

Image is not everything. Sometimes doing the right thing is more important.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Photos