St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015
4.4

James Downing

Pros
  • They offer great benefits and several employee perks (in 6 reviews)

• Great place to work, great science, great facilities (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Human resources department is very fair and balances out these disparities in style of working among departments as much as possible (in 3 reviews)

• Demanding work schedule and long hours (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Pediatric Oncology Education (POE) Program

Former Employee - Pediatric Oncology Education (POE) Program in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Pediatric Oncology Education (POE) Program in Memphis, TN

I worked at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent summer internship experience for anyone considering a career in the fields of cancer research or medicine. Every member of the faculty and staff genuinely cares and is focused on the health and well-being of the children and their families. Despite the gravity of illnesses of the children, the hospital is filled with hope and joy, as any child should experience.

Cons

The only con would be that this is a summer internship experience, and full time research assistant positions are difficult to come by.

Great Place To Work!!

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

St. Jude is an incredible place to work! I have never worked anywhere like SJCRH. The hospital is extremely passionate about the work it does everyday. I don't work directly with the patients but the organization has done great job making me feel as though my work is helping the mission. Benefits are excellent and my work/life balance is superb. We have a gym at the hospital there are a lot of other things to help me enjoy my time there. I highly recommend!!

Cons

Decisions aren't alway made in a timely matter. Other minor things but nothing serious.

100% paid health insurance would be nice! Our health benefits are really nice but if you want to be on par with some of the best in the world, this would be a great way to start.

Best place to work.

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very good working environment. Good benefits. I have been working in St. Jude since 2003. I enjoy working in my laboratory.

Cons

I don't think there are any cons.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Jan 14, 2015Recruiter

Thank you for your review and thank you for 10+ years of service!!

It's awesome place to work.

Current Employee - Research Lab Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Research Lab Specialist in Memphis, TN

Pros

provide work friendly. Emphasizing work-life balance. good benefits.

Cons

no bonus, job stability is related with research fund.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Jan 8, 2015Recruiter

Thank you for your kind words! We really appreciate the work you do.

The mission and money coming into this nonprofit makes this a very rewarding place to work, but still has career limits

Current Employee - Research Technologist in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Research Technologist in Memphis, TN

Pros

Amazing Technology in the labs
    No shortage of money for research
    Amazing mission statement and feel like I am helping a bigger cause

Cons

See lots of money wasted in the research labs
    Promotions are hard to come by, usually done by length of service rather than career development
    Salaries can be lower than similar positions at other companies

I have learned a great deal and had the privilege of working with many talented, experienced professionals.

Current Employee - Senior Scientist GMP Manufacturing in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist GMP Manufacturing in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good hours. Decent salary. Good experience. Independence.

Cons

There are no major cons I can think of.

Best place to work!

Former Employee - Graduate Student
    Former Employee - Graduate Student

I worked at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Pros

I worked here for a graduate assistantship. I loved every minute. The staff at SJ really focuses on the care of the children and management does a great deal to show the employees how special they are and how much they are needed. Great place.

Cons

Some people have problems seeing children ill, if you are one of those people, I'd pick another employer. There are areas where you can work that will limit your experience with that though.

great place to work for

Current Employee - Research Associate in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

research resources and great environment

Cons

no negative so far as I saw

Great Work place…with amazing benefits.

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Memphis, TN

Pros

Great Work place and an amazing mission " Finding cures and saving children".

Cons

immediate supervisors need to focus on implementing the projects than finding ways of how not to do it. Very slow execution.

Make it little more agile environment , especially in iT projects.

Employees who got promoted by Stjude hospital management / or ALSAC board - needs review, investigation, prosecutions.

Former Employee - Information Technology Staff in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Information Technology Staff in Memphis, TN

I worked at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a Children's Research Hospital mismanaging donations in millions by public in USA with the blessings of bad management to fool public to give more and more millions of dollars more donations....it's pathetic to see this corruption grow everyday!

Cons

Hospital is getting donations by systematic propaganda by current ALSAC, Memphis, TN. However, current hospital management is not reliable according to fellow employee(s) experience over years. Top level is made up of families (can provide names) for decades and they made good employees' contributions to the hospital miserable by violating US labor, compliance, and work place bullying with the blessings of current hospital and HR management staff who are friends for many decades at Stjude - very disgusting to experience.

If corrupted institutions, in my opinion, new young talent must replace the management staff in both institutions. Oldies, you all either go home or prison!...investigation only will determine in a civilized world of your destination!

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Photos