St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews

Reset
4.5
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing

Pros
  • The benefits are excellent - health benefits are top notch, vacation time and sick time are generous (in 3 reviews)

• Great place to work, great science, great facilities (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Demanding work schedule and long hours (in 3 reviews)

• Memphis is a relatively small city (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

The most rewarding place I have worked in my 30 year employment history with 6 different employers

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission of the organization, the wornderful benefits but most importantly, the appreciation I feel daily from the top management, patients and my colleagues, make this the most amazing and rewarding place I have ever worked. There are many training and advancement opportunities for those who want to keep their skills sharp or obtain more credentials.

Cons

Some employees who have never worked elsewhere, take for granted so many of the benefits and positive aspects of working here. I have been here for 7 years and still feel so grateful to be a part of this institution.

Advice to Management

Continue your interest in making employees feel appreciated and in giving us what we need to do our jobs well. Rock on!

Feb 18, 2015 – Recruiter

Thank you very much for your review and wonderful things you wrote about the hospital! We are excited to see that SJCRH is something you are passionate about that we have done a good job making you ... More

2. Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN

Pros

Great people and the institution really values its employees. There's a lot of support available to learn about the hospital.

Cons

Sometimes it takes a while to learn about what all of the various departments do.

Advice to Management

Continue providing learning and development opportunities for staff, faculty, and employees in leadership roles.

3. Top-notch culture

Pros

The culture here is built around supporting each employee to do his or her best work and to be happy doing it. I've often told new colleagues that my only limitations are the time I am able/willing to spend and the boundaries of my own imagination. Otherwise, St. Jude ensures I have the resources and environment to accomplish my goals. I feel fully supported and appreciated. It seems like everyone here works with high expectations of themselves and each other...and that's a good thing. When you are doing something as important as saving kids' lives, expectations should be very high. But what's nice is that with the culture being so supportive, it's a pleasure to work hard and it makes work fun.

Cons

I truly would share cons of working at St. Jude if I could think of any...I know how much that helps people decide where to apply. However, I really can't think of any cons. It's a wonderful place to work. Memphis is a cool city with lots to do. The people are wonderful. The work is fulfilling. And we're always striving to get better. I can't ask for anything more.

Advice to Management

In it's 50+ years, I am so glad St. Jude has never lost its spunky, adventurous, pioneering spirit. My advice to management is to ensure we never lose it. Supporting employees and encouraging innovation is what will keep us winning the fight for kids around the world.

5. Great environment and worthy cause!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At St. Jude I know I am working towards a very worthy, life-saving cause. The administration does a great job of making sure each employee knows their purpose here and how their role, regardless of how trivial it may seem, contributes greatly to our mission. I love the team I work with, we do retreats and team-building exercises to strengthen our communication and teamwork. I feel like my specific background and experience is valued and my managers want to tap into my unique contribution and potential with St. Jude. This makes me feel incredibly valued and I know other people I work with feel the same way.

Cons

We are welcomed to work on new projects and initiatives that may not be in our job duties but are special areas of interest for us personally. Some may get involved in these projects because they want variety in their work, these can definitely provide that. However, when the work picks up it can be hard to juggle these extra projects that you may have taken on because your workload allowed.

Advice to Management

Continue to show employees how they are valued for their unique contribution because this is what makes people really invested in their work and it is what makes people do their best work.

6. A rewarding work experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

St jude is full of smart people, and when it comes to ideas, everything is done quickly. I like how professional and warm the people are when they welcomed me here. Transitioning is smooth, and it makes me feel like I had been working here for years. My manager and teammates are one of the best people I have met in my entire career. I plan to stay here longer, and it should be my first and last company that I will work for here in the US.

Cons

none that I could think of

Aug 25, 2015 – Recruiter

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so glad you are enjoying your position with St. Jude and that the team environment has been a positive experience for you. Keep up the great work!

7. The Best Place to Work!

Pros

Love it at St. Jude! The mission, people, and benefits are just a few of the reasons that make St. Jude great.

Cons

For me, there are no downsides.

Advice to Management

My management team is great! They are understanding and treat us as professionals.

Aug 25, 2015 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review! It is wonderful that you love all the aspects that make St. Jude so special. Keep up the great work!

8. Sr. Administrative Assistant

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love working for St. Jude, I feel a sense of pride of working here and being a part of the mission of saving children saving lives. St. Jude is truly a great place to work, couldn't imagine working anywhere else.

Cons

There are not any Cons working here, I love working here.

Aug 26, 2015 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for the review and the kind words! Having a sense of pride about the place where you work is such an amazing feeling and we are glad that you have it!! Don't ever leave us!

9. St. Jude

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Pros

The attitudes of people here are more positive and professional. When I first interviewed here, everyone was smiling. Even the people in the halls that weren't part of my interview. I thought it must be an act. There must be someone here who hates their job. But I've come to see that people here truly are happy for a reason. Its a very good place to work and there are too many reasons to list why. Just know St. Jude has low turnover for a reason.

Cons

Pressure to get the flu shot each year gets annoying for those who choose not to get one.

Aug 27, 2015 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review! It is so great to hear that you've encountered such a vast majority of people here who love their jobs. This certainly lends to a positive work environment for all. Sorry ... More

10. already great; getting better each day.

Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Memphis, TN

Pros

The mission, vision and values of this institution is unparalleled.

Cons

Sometimes patients who you have come to know and love pass away. We feel that.

Advice to Management

Dr. Downing is the perfect man for the job.

Aug 27, 2015 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review. It can certainly be difficult for those in patient care roles, or even those who come in contact with patients regularly to see a patient pass away. There is no easy way ... More

11. Tech

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent people to work with.

Cons

Some think they are above others.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone the same

Aug 26, 2015 – Recruiter

Thank you for the review! It's so good to see that you enjoy your coworkers but it looks like we may still have some work to do. As you probably know, at St Jude we strive to offer collaborative and ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed