St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Updated February 23, 2015
4.4

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing

Pros
  • They offer great benefits and several employee perks (in 6 reviews)

• Great place to work, great science, great facilities (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Human resources department is very fair and balances out these disparities in style of working among departments as much as possible (in 3 reviews)

• Demanding work schedule and long hours (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

The most rewarding place I have worked in my 30 year employment history with 6 different employers

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The mission of the organization, the wornderful benefits but most importantly, the appreciation I feel daily from the top management, patients and my colleagues, make this the most amazing and rewarding place I have ever worked. There are many training and advancement opportunities for those who want to keep their skills sharp or obtain more credentials.

Cons

Some employees who have never worked elsewhere, take for granted so many of the benefits and positive aspects of working here. I have been here for 7 years and still feel so grateful to be a part of this institution.

Continue your interest in making employees feel appreciated and in giving us what we need to do our jobs well. Rock on!

Feb 18, 2015Recruiter

Thank you very much for your review and wonderful things you wrote about the hospital! We are excited to see that SJCRH is something you are passionate about that we have done a good job making you ... More

Amazing place to work

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people are great, the work is challenging and they really take care of you here. If I was just filling out spreadsheets all day, this would still be a great place to work because of the people you interactive with here and the type of work you are doing (saving lives and curing cancer) but we are actually on the cutting edge of science and technology, so the work is challenging, fulfilling, and fun. I actually look forward to coming to work in the morning :)

Cons

I really have nothing bad to say. I have been sitting here thinking about a con for a few minutes and really can't come up with anything.

Keep on rocking.

Feb 25, 2015Recruiter

Thanks for the review! Glad to hear that you enjoy the challenging work but you are right, no matter what work is being done, it's rewarding because it contributes to our mission and that's what ... More

Great Environment and excellent benefits

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have grown tremendously in my research-based position with the help of St. Jude. As a researcher, the core facilities (Light and Electron Microscopy, Preclinical Imaging, Flow cytometry, peptide production, sequencing, microarray technology, custom vector production, pathology, and the list goes on) are excellent in their efficiency and in particular the core facility directors can be very hands on depending on the needs of the investigator.

Cons

The promotion pathway is a bit unclear to me.

Continuing to improve employee benefits will continue to attract the most competitive candidates.

Jan 31, 2015Recruiter

Thank you for your review! I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your time with St. Jude. Please contact the HR department and someone would be happy to discuss the promotional process with you. We ... More

Pediatric Oncology Education (POE) Program

Former Intern - Pediatric Oncology Education (POE) Program in Memphis, TN
    Former Intern - Pediatric Oncology Education (POE) Program in Memphis, TN

I worked at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent summer internship experience for anyone considering a career in the fields of cancer research or medicine. Every member of the faculty and staff genuinely cares and is focused on the health and well-being of the children and their families. Despite the gravity of illnesses of the children, the hospital is filled with hope and joy, as any child should experience.

Cons

The only con would be that this is a summer internship experience, and full time research assistant positions are difficult to come by.

Jan 26, 2015Recruiter

Thank you for your response! We are glad that you enjoyed your time at St. Jude and were able to contribute to our mission. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Great Place To Work!!

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

St. Jude is an incredible place to work! I have never worked anywhere like SJCRH. The hospital is extremely passionate about the work it does everyday. I don't work directly with the patients but the organization has done great job making me feel as though my work is helping the mission. Benefits are excellent and my work/life balance is superb. We have a gym at the hospital there are a lot of other things to help me enjoy my time there. I highly recommend!!

Cons

Decisions aren't alway made in a timely matter. Other minor things but nothing serious.

100% paid health insurance would be nice! Our health benefits are really nice but if you want to be on par with some of the best in the world, this would be a great way to start.

Jan 26, 2015Recruiter

We really appreciate your review! Thanks for all of the hard work. Thank you for listing some pros and cons. We take everything you wrote seriously and will continue to examine any areas for needed ... More

Best place to work.

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very good working environment. Good benefits. I have been working in St. Jude since 2003. I enjoy working in my laboratory.

Cons

I don't think there are any cons.

Jan 14, 2015Recruiter

Thank you for your review and thank you for 10+ years of service!!

It's awesome place to work.

Current Employee - Research Lab Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Research Lab Specialist in Memphis, TN

Pros

provide work friendly. Emphasizing work-life balance. good benefits.

Cons

no bonus, job stability is related with research fund.

Jan 8, 2015Recruiter

Thank you for your kind words! We really appreciate the work you do.

I have learned a great deal and had the privilege of working with many talented, experienced professionals.

Current Employee - Senior Scientist GMP Manufacturing in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist GMP Manufacturing in Memphis, TN

Pros

Good hours. Decent salary. Good experience. Independence.

Cons

There are no major cons I can think of.

Jan 26, 2015Recruiter

Thanks for the review! Glad to hear you are enjoying your time at St. Jude.

Best place to work!

Former Employee - Graduate Student
    Former Employee - Graduate Student

I worked at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Pros

I worked here for a graduate assistantship. I loved every minute. The staff at SJ really focuses on the care of the children and management does a great deal to show the employees how special they are and how much they are needed. Great place.

Cons

Some people have problems seeing children ill, if you are one of those people, I'd pick another employer. There are areas where you can work that will limit your experience with that though.

Jan 26, 2015Recruiter

Thanks for your review! We agree, St. Jude is a great place to work!

great place to work for

Current Employee - Research Associate in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Memphis, TN

Pros

research resources and great environment

Cons

no negative so far as I saw

Jan 26, 2015Recruiter

Thank you for the response. Our Research Associates are an integral part of what we do everyday! Thanks for all you do.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Photos