St. Jude Medical Center

Updated July 23, 2014
Updated July 23, 2014

3.5

Lee Penrose

There is so much potential if only they tapped into it.

I worked at St. Jude Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people work here. The benefits are great. Most of the people believe in and follow the values.

Cons

the organization has many silos and the environment is not always safe to speak up.

As individuals you are great....your team work could be improved upon.

Not what it used to be

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at St. Jude Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I work with wonderful, competent, compassionate physicians. The physical facility is beautiful and care is provided based on real need, there is no evidence of artificially inflating the billable services just to make more money.

Cons

Unfair labor practices, ask about the "day divide rule" and make sure you understand it before you volunteer to help out by working a pm shift if you are a day nurse. Little concern for work-life balance, nurses are often called 2 or 3 days a week and asked to work extra shifts. The clinical advancement ladder to Clin III has few perks, and high expectations.

Staff so that nurses can get appropriate breaks, compensate based on merit, completely overhaul your clinical advancement ladder, share the wealth.

An unfortunate diminishing mission.

Former Employee - Mid Level Management  in  Fullerton, CA
    Former Employee - Mid Level Management in Fullerton, CA

I worked at St. Jude Medical Center full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Historically, they had excellent benefits. Now, the employees are having to pick up the difference.

Cons

The organization has lost sight of it's original mission. It is less about patient care and more about meeting financial goals. Physicians are ruled by graphs and charts and have very little time to spend with patients because they're pushed to make their quota. Sad. Human Resources is a joke... takes them up to 4 months before they can make a decision and rarely do they return emails/calls to employees seeking support or information. Leadership expects employees to perform well, yet the encouragement and motivation is lacking from the top.

Educate and regain the level of expectations for those "managers" that run their sites with intimidation and fear. Employees are afraid to speak up out of concern for losing their jobs... so they sit quietly and are bullied and harassed by people who call themselves leaders. Those higher up don't want to be bothered, HR is useless and these employees that have put in years of dedication and loyalty are being eliminated one by one. St Jude has historically been the "best of the best", but in the last 2-3 years It's plummeting and we're seeing patients leave to go elsewhere for care. Sad again.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A large and growing organization, trying to meet the demands of its community.

Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist  in  Fullerton, CA
    Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Fullerton, CA

I worked at St. Jude Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Enjoyed the daily patient interaction and the associated challenges it presented. The staff was always willing to give the best care possible to each patient, and the community at large.

Cons

As employees, we saw the costs of benefits rise as the benefits provided declined.

Don't forget that the employees need access to affordable care as much as the community they serve. We provided an excellent level of care that we as employees sometimes could not afford.

Overall outstanding place to work.

Former Employee - Middle Manager  in  Fullerton, CA
    Former Employee - Middle Manager in Fullerton, CA

I worked at St. Jude Medical Center full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Values based organization. The managers, supervisors and front line staff are committed to making a difference. It would be a great organization again when the leadership at the top changes.

Cons

Lacking of strong leadership at the highest levels. There are upper executives who are more concerned about personal gain than what is best for the hospital, staff and patients.

Absolutely wonderful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fullerton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fullerton, CA

I worked at St. Jude Medical Center as an intern for more than a year

Pros

The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly where I worked, The training and satisfaction of helping people were the main pros at the place.

Cons

Hectic scheduling at times. Sometimes patients or people get aggravated, making work a bit more unappealing at times.

Great Employer

I worked at St. Jude Medical Center

Pros

Work independently, good benefits, and decent pay

Cons

Worked with a few introverted individuals

Good work environment, difficult hours

Current Employee - Sonographer  in  Fullerton, CA
    Current Employee - Sonographer in Fullerton, CA

I have been working at St. Jude Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent healthcare, 401K, and employee benefits

Cons

No rotation of graveyards w/in department

It has been positive

Current Employee - Shipping Clerk  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Shipping Clerk in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at St. Jude Medical Center

Pros

The pay and beinefits are good

Cons

Some of the employees look for mistakes intead of doing their own job tell on one another to earn brownie points

Investigate problems and not just take the persons word that there is a problem

Very injoyable i feel rewarded for helping how ever i can if i can help

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fullerton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fullerton, CA

I have been working at St. Jude Medical Center

Pros

I injoy working with the doctors and nurses to learn more onhow they care for each patcience and i also like to talk to the pactience when i'm there and to see them get better and can go home its i nice feeling

Cons

sometimes it can be heavey at times but i realy don't have any cons

I like working with the bosses they are caring and will listen to what you have to say

Worked for St. Jude Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!