St. Jude Medical

St. Jude Medical Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

St. Jude Medical Chairman, President, and CEO Daniel J. Starks

Daniel J. Starks

Pros
  • I have a good work-life balance, coworkers, and benefits and compensation are fair(in 16 reviews)

• Good industry, a lot of employees care (although they are quickly leaving or being let go), good benefits(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There are times when having a work life balance was a challenge(in 18 reviews)

• Eventually, the gravy train will end for a non-performing senior management(in 17 reviews)

“Worse Medical Implantable Company ever. It's a job that crushes your spirit, but... it's a job with questionable future

Manager (Current Employee) Sylmar, CA

Pros. If you are desperate for a paycheck and not looking for something long term then get in and get out.

ConsKeep silent - don't rock the boat, and say whatever the management team tells you to say. Truth is not important.

No employer loyalty - everyone below management is expendable; constant management politics, misleading information, lies and unrealistic goals.

This job is 90% politics & 10% so called engineering. You are rewarded for a dog & pony show, propagandas, inaccuracies, & misrepresentations. You are not rewarded for good engineering.

This company has no future. Management is scrambling to last as long as they can while revenues decline and their network continues to fall a-part. Nobody I know here respects the president & his so called VPs & Directors !!! It's pathetic. They are just there for a paycheck while it lasts!

Advice to Senior ManagementDump your President. He fills the company leadership with his incompetent friends and he's only looking to make a name for himself so he can jump to a bigger opportunity!

If you want this company to move forward and be innovative instead keep buying companies than get rid of all Program Management personnel immediately from the VP down to staffs without any exception. This specific Program Management Department aka “Secretary Department” has a lack of clear accountability for decision making & a lack of focus on activities that drive decision making. Bunch of seagulls are running this dept. What is this “Secretary Department” is actually contributing? It is a useless & a waste of money. Do not create new positions for them.

Employees have zero trust in top management

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Sylmar, CA

ProsGood group of people who aren't in leadership roles, sadly it's a group decreasing in size by the month

ConsSenior leadership doesn't care about the employee. This isn't just superficial talk, it's a reality and it's something HR Leadership admits behind closed doors. Layoffs take place to reduce the experienced, over 40, skilled employees who are replaced with lower level minions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your millions and leave

Excellent management led to a culture where every employee was empowered to make their job better and more efficient.

Engineer (Former Employee) Sylmar, CA

ProsEvery employee was empowered to learn lean and mistake proofing tools and to apply those tools to improving their day to day work. Feedback was regular so that you always felt like you had some idea of how well you were doing. Even though different groups advocated for different positions there was a feeling of mutual respect and of camaraderie between groups. The lay-offs didn't seem random.

ConsSome of the groups are now in the process of being continually down sized, which has resulted in fewer opportunities in those areas.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company has great employees . Challenging environment keeps you motivated to succeed as a team. A great company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat people where successes can be achieved through teams.

ConsProjects are challenging where timelines are tight. Better planning upfront would allow a more successful execution of projects.

Great Company, good benefits, senior friendly, inefficient software development

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsThe people are very nice and there is a lot of gray hair, so the job security seems pretty good if you are a good worker. The compensation is very fair, the work atmosphere is relaxed.

ConsVery few processes in place, and most don't follow the processes anyway. Changes in process and tools take forever because many veteran employees are stuck in the old ways and do not want to change. No one really held accountable for low performance, so employee motivation and morale not the best. There is not a strong project manager so planning and implementation are slow and constantly changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed someone to step up and lead without worrying about not being popular. A good Project Manager is necessary to set tasks, track progress, minimize late issues, and drive processes that all departments adhere to.

St Jude an exciting fast paced company to work

Production Support (Former Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsPersonal growth, ability to expand your knowledge by using new technology

ConsThere are times when having a work life balance was a challenge

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have time to perform root cause analysis to permanently resolve issues

Process Engineer II

Process Engineer II (Former Employee) Sylmar, CA

ProsGood pay and benefits with lots of opportunity to learn. Good company for out of college graduates.

ConsI worked there for a year. I did not see any cons about the company for my position. Had to relocate back home.

Suggestions for Program Managers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sylmar, CA

ProsTalented engineers, good compensation, good location

ConsUnreasonable deadlines, constantly changing requirements are indicative of poor planning and communication to the troops by management.

Regulatory should be more involved in directing submission support materials early on, rather than at the last minute.

Program Management is in desperate need of pelvic surgeries - too much shooting from the hip. Cowboys R Us.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak down the hierarchical structure for R&D. Create autonomous groups that can develop and prototype new technologies rapidly. You will create a lot more excitement and ownership.

Consider having elections for all program managers every year (1 year term) - I guarantee a far more responsive PM dept.

What once was great is now pathetic!

ProsExcellent, Intelligent, and driven workforce! In theory great products and great vision.

ConsHorrible, moronic, self serving management! Marketing has overthrown engineering. Unproven products are pushed to market. Zero support from your upline, not because they don't want to, primarily because the don't know how to! Culture of fear and idiocy. Commendations for poor results, micro-management for superior results. Current management promotes mediocrity and demotes ingenuity. Disingenuous Mission Statements. Overall imploding organization due to poor management hires and subsequent cronieism!

Advice to Senior ManagementWake Up! Your people aren't happy and on this current path, your going to lose your most valuable assets!

The most toxic working environment I have ever experienced in my 14-year career in Med Device

Principal Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the engineers (and a handful of the managers) you will work with have integrity. They're authentic and they're real. They have the technical knowledge that is well-balanced with business acumen and quality/regulatory knowledge to do things right and still meet and exceed business metrics. They are the reason why you go back to work the next day.

ConsI never experienced anything like this with any of the companies I worked for in my 14+ year career.
    There are many pretenders who will derail the pros I noted above.
    There are some that will be so threatened by your simple knowledge and integrity that they will do everything they can to smear your professional reputation (covertly and overtly).

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't believe everything you are told. Look at the data - the real data. It takes time and effort, but it is in your best interest. The data doesn't lie.

Worked for St. Jude Medical? Contribute to the Community!