St. Jude Medical Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
2.7

St. Jude Medical Chairman, President, and CEO Daniel J. Starks
Daniel J. Starks

Pros
  • I have a good work-life balance, coworkers, and benefits and compensation are fair (in 16 reviews)

• Good industry, a lot of employees care (although they are quickly leaving or being let go), good benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There are times when having a work life balance was a challenge (in 18 reviews)

• Eventually, the gravy train will end for a non-performing senior management (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Access to many different engineering disciplines and opportunities. Larger company with room for advancement.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer I
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer I

I have been working at St. Jude Medical as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Very intelligent people who provide good career guidance and leadership. Opportunity to learn lots of skills.

Cons

As this is a large company it can be difficult to get noticed on a day to day basis. You need to find a way to make yourself stand out.

Constant reorgs made it impossible to have continuity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sylmar, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sylmar, CA

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company products save lives or make for better quality lives for those for specific illnesses.

Cons

Too many layoffs too often made it impossible to receive training or have continuity in their release process. Most people are overworked.

Don't just reduce employee work force by some mythical percentage or simply because you think the employee makes too much money. After years of quarterly layoffs, the people that are left are the ones who do make a difference, yet you lay them off too.

Neuromodulation takes the hits.

Former Employee - Director  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Plano, TX

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It was good to work on a product that really helps people. The integration with the mother ship meant the vacation and other policies (that were sub-par for NMD) were brought in line with the other operating units, so that was good. However, the increased political gaming and backstabbing that comes with being a large company was not welcome.

Cons

However, the increased political gaming and backstabbing that comes with being a large company was not welcome. Having a multi-year warning letter that kept us from launching new products was almost the killer. We went to last place in short order. Internal strife among leadership and the doubts permeated down to the daily worker.

Tell your employees you value them, and not see them as a threat to your job. Bring back the company values that brought so many people to the company in the first place.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good step in my career

I have been working at St. Jude Medical

Pros

Everyone is really helpful and I feel like I'm actually helping people.

Cons

Deadlines, but most of the time it's not too bad.

Good pay, zero guidance. Left hand doesn't know what the right is doing and no one notices good work.

Former Employee - Complaints Coordinator - Neuro Division  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Complaints Coordinator - Neuro Division in Plano, TX

I worked at St. Jude Medical as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

$$$ I liked the people that worked there. It was an interesting learning experience on spinal stimulators and how they work for a geek like me.

Cons

Politically unbalanced. I worked in the neuromod division and they didn't have adequate training for procedures on how we should deal with patients, track implant or explant procedures, etc. VERY DISORGANIZED.

No one really knew what was going on unless you were a favorite of a more seasoned employee.

A Great Start With Not Much Future

Current Employee - EP-TSS  in  Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - EP-TSS in Riverside, CA

I have been working at St. Jude Medical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company portfolio is solid and the future looks great. Management is solid in certain areas and there are a lot of good people that work for the company. Car allowance is good for the most part.

Cons

If you aren't networked with the correct people it is difficult to move up or move on. Lots of talk with lack of action. Time-off in the field is always difficult to get, especially at the beginning.

If you say you are going to do something. Do it.

Good

I have been working at St. Jude Medical

Pros

Calm atmosphere and relaxed management

Cons

hours are sometimes too long

St. Jude Medical

I have been working at St. Jude Medical

Pros

Great benefits. Nice to work with products that matter.

Cons

Seems like a lot of power struggles in upper management. Frequent layoffs. Poor morale.

Good company...poor upper management

Former Employee - Sales Representative CDM
    Former Employee - Sales Representative CDM

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time for more than a year

Pros

STJ has a decent bag of products. Great benefits and corporate clout in hospitals
    There is a sense of pride among the corporate culture

Cons

Management could leave something to be desired. Narrow focus on short term. No new products for quite a long time. Can confuse pride with arrogance at times

Promote from within. Value current employees. Get products to market faster

Very favorable to men. NO women in management positions.

Current Employee - Sales  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at St. Jude Medical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Patient interaction, making a difference in the lives of people you put your devices in. Great products.

Cons

Decreasing compensation. Very pro men-anti women. Management style is very negative. They manage by intimidation. Management changes faster than you change your underwear. Had 6 managers in 7 years. Horrible training. Small company with no continutity or clear sales message. 1 person marketing team. She is good, but cant do it all.

realize that the sales people are the most important part of the company. If you beat them down, how are they supposed to be positive in front of the customer?

Worked for St. Jude Medical? Contribute to the Community!