St. Jude Medical

St. Jude Medical Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

St. Jude Medical Chairman, President, and CEO Daniel J. Starks

Daniel J. Starks

Pros
  • I have a good work-life balance, coworkers, and benefits and compensation are fair(in 16 reviews)

• Good industry, a lot of employees care (although they are quickly leaving or being let go), good benefits(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There are times when having a work life balance was a challenge(in 18 reviews)

• Eventually, the gravy train will end for a non-performing senior management(in 17 reviews)

Avoid

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGood work/life balance. Nice coworkers.

ConsNo career advancement, managers with no management skills other than having "important" friends, highly political, no innovation just merely do somewhat "trendy" out there half heartedly regardless of application.

Doing Ok, not that great

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat work life balance.
    Great colleagues.
    Have a promising product pipeline for the future.

ConsNot the latest technology.
    Too many layoffs in recent times. Still a lot of people remaining who are not that productive.
    Senior leadership needs to communicate to the rank and file.
    Very limited career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify people with talent and reward those who are willing to work hard for the company.

Used to be a great place to work. Reorgs and lay offs are the norm now.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Sylmar, CA

ProsCould be a good place for a junior engineer to get a start.

ConsThis company has sadly become one in which profit and stock price are the only things management seems to care about. Morale is terrible and many still there want to leave. Lay offs are common. Over 200 in the last one in May. The most tone deaf management ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating employees like people instead of a cost you need to manage.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not what it used to be

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

ProsI work with wonderful, competent, compassionate physicians. The physical facility is beautiful and care is provided based on real need, there is no evidence of artificially inflating the billable services just to make more money.

ConsUnfair labor practices, ask about the "day divide rule" and make sure you understand it before you volunteer to help out by working a pm shift if you are a day nurse. Little concern for work-life balance, nurses are often called 2 or 3 days a week and asked to work extra shifts. The clinical advancement ladder to Clin III has few perks, and high expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff so that nurses can get appropriate breaks, compensate based on merit, completely overhaul your clinical advancement ladder, share the wealth.

St. Jude Medical

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) Liberty, SC

ProsGreat Product
    Professional Atmosphere
    Goat would hang around the entrance

ConsClosed Culture
    Location makes it difficult to attract top notch employees

Seemed to be a good company for Perm Employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsI think they had free coffee.
    Everyone was quite nice, especially my supervisor.

ConsI was contract. The Job I was doing was unbearable and not a match.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not let placement agencies do your interviewing. I am a designer, your agency was WAY off sending me to this gig.

Frequent layoffs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with. Cohesive teams, interesting products, the tangible feeling of making a difference in people's health and well-being.

ConsFor the past four years, there have been regular layoffs due to never-ending re-orgs. Employees are in constant fear for their jobs. Upper management sees everyone as dispensible and is focused on the short-term goal of impressing share-holders with cost-cutting. Long term, quality will suffer.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf employees don't feel valued, they will not feel as invested in the success of the company.

It is a sinking ship. It is just a matter of time before the FDA comes down hard and shuts down this corrupt company.

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Sylmar, CA

ProsIf you are green, right out of school or do not have a job than it is a perfect place to be. You have absolutely nothing to lose. But if you have a job than think twice about leaving your current position to join this corrupt organization. The grass isn't always greener.

ConsSt. Jude Medical is well known to have a reputation for its internal politics. There is absolutely no transparency. Lies from VPs down to Sr. Managers are very common.

Upper management can talk a good talk but 100% of the time do not follow through with/follow up with the reliability & quality issues. The company has spent $$$ Millions to remedy the FDA warning letter received in 2012 and Sr. Management are still continuing to perform the same way. Nothing, absolutely nothing has changed. It is demoralizing & disgusting.

Everyone who is currently working at the Sylmar’s STJ plant be careful because if you have a complaint against one or a few, of these incompetent Program Management staffs your complaint will not go far. Everyone at St. Jude Medical has some history about these ineffectual personnel.

The politics can be nasty and there is definitely retribution for anyone who is not deemed to be in agreement with the Program Management Dept. HR is not supportive and there is no one to go to for help. Corporate is aware but this division continues to operate as it has since 2010. They are untouchable. Program Management Department is driving all decisions even though they are unskilled to manage any project and have absolutely no talent. Lack of basic engineering principles does not matter as long as you have the skills to talk big. It is an inept department. Despicable!

Advice to Senior ManagementSince you are still doing business as usual and you are still guarding the same corrupt, shady, immoral, & dishonest Sr. VPs, Sr. Directors & Managers, it is just a matter of time before the FDA will come down hard and put a nice yellow ribbon (“DO NOT CROSS”) around the perimeter’s facility. You MUST dump the current crooked management if you are really sincerely want to move forward.

I would NOT recommend anyone to work for St. Jude Medical as long as the current corrupt senior management is still here. Absolutely NOT.

Employees have zero trust in top management

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Sylmar, CA

ProsGood group of people who aren't in leadership roles, sadly it's a group decreasing in size by the month

ConsSenior leadership doesn't care about the employee. This isn't just superficial talk, it's a reality and it's something HR Leadership admits behind closed doors. Layoffs take place to reduce the experienced, over 40, skilled employees who are replaced with lower level minions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your millions and leave

Competitive company with focus on quality and innovation

Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Sylmar, CA

ProsContinual challenge to stay competitive keeps the creative juices flowing. Product development cycle is well-paced and delivers products that offer significant advances in technology and clinical efficacy. Lots of room for advancement, especially for those who take advantage of training opportunities. Great teamwork and camaraderie.

ConsThe need to balance quality, schedule, cost, competitive pressure and regulatory oversight demands constant vigilance. It's difficult to step away for time off without disrupting the flow.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective in choosing products to develop. Better focus can allow even more innovation and work-life balance.

Worked for St. Jude Medical? Contribute to the Community!