www.sjm.com

Updated November 18, 2014
2.7

St. Jude Medical Chairman, President, and CEO Daniel J. Starks
Daniel J. Starks

Pros
  • Benefits are good, few good people to work for, good work-life balance for the most part (in 18 reviews)

• Good industry, a lot of employees care (although they are quickly leaving or being let go), good benefits (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • High stress environment with unrealistic deadlines and a poor work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management and executives are too afraid to enact any real change (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Was a great company to work for, now is a good company to work for.

Former Employee - Process Development
    Former Employee - Process Development

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time

Pros

Company treat employees well, time off, benefits and environment. The company is managed well and is very stable.

Cons

Company has gotten really large and as such the employees are now numbers instead of people. If you like doing the same thing everyday this is the place to be.

Give employees a chance to shine through development. When you excel at a task don't make that the only task for the employee.

OK

Former Employee - Data Architect in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Data Architect in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay great co-workers. The company was making money

Cons

No appetite for change. They could have fixed things when times were good.

focus on the long term not just now

Great product poor upper management

Former Employee - Pacemaker Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Pacemaker Sales Representative

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Product is top notch , excellent people in the field

Cons

Upper management is an old boy network and they do not get in the field

Do not become complacent with your customers , they are your lifeblood , break up the old boy network

Doing Ok, not that great

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at St. Jude Medical full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great work life balance.
    Great colleagues.
    Have a promising product pipeline for the future.

Cons

Not the latest technology.
    Too many layoffs in recent times. Still a lot of people remaining who are not that productive.
    Senior leadership needs to communicate to the rank and file.
    Very limited career growth.

Identify people with talent and reward those who are willing to work hard for the company.

Good launching pad to other companies.

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Sylmar, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Sylmar, CA

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun people to work with in the software department at Sylmar, lots of people try to organize groups to go hiking and such. Lots of time to work on a pet project to improve your skill sets. You'll get introduced to heavy processes that will give you insight on why they are there, and insight on why they should be dropped.

While working at St Jude Medical I received lots of interviews from tech companies (Apple, Google, Linkedin, Twitter). Ended up joining one of them. Few of my coworkers did too.

Cons

Sometimes you get so bored doing nothing. I ended up working 4-6 hours (w/2 hour lunches) with coworkers.
    Cardiac rhythm management division (or IESD - whatever they call it now) has been halting on projects thus lack of career growth and increased layoffs. I hear the severance package is very accomodating. Everything software related in that department is solely in maintenance mode. Most of the money is now going towards nuero modulation in plano, texas. From my initial impression the engineers there are highly questionable in talent, and I would not trust them to develop solid software. You know something is amiss when they overdesign and use jargon to impress people.

Better leadership. I know your hands were tied when I was there (FDA remediation), but that does not mean you should can your existing workforce that made your position possible, solely so you can go towards upper management and say how much money you saved quarter after quarter.

Seemed to be a good company for Perm Employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at St. Jude Medical as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I think they had free coffee.
    Everyone was quite nice, especially my supervisor.

Cons

I was contract. The Job I was doing was unbearable and not a match.

Do not let placement agencies do your interviewing. I am a designer, your agency was WAY off sending me to this gig.

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Liberty, SC
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Liberty, SC

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Product
    Professional Atmosphere
    Goat would hang around the entrance

Cons

Closed Culture
    Location makes it difficult to attract top notch employees

Successful despite itself...

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits, nice facilities, company's products saves lives....

Cons

This company is successful because of its products and sales force. Everyone else is just along for the ride. Management within the administrative/support functions is a complete joke. They flounder around on a daily basis providing no direction, no thought leadership, and certainly don't have the knowledge or the guts to make value adding decisions. Often seems the goal is to cost cut rather than provide innovative solutions to the company. Overall the morale within the back office departments is low.

This company has world class medical technology and is positioned well for top line growth. But so much is being left on the table due to poor back office management. Clean house on the administrative side of the company and bring in some people who can actually help take this company to the next level.

Competitive company with focus on quality and innovation

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Sylmar, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Sylmar, CA

I have been working at St. Jude Medical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Continual challenge to stay competitive keeps the creative juices flowing. Product development cycle is well-paced and delivers products that offer significant advances in technology and clinical efficacy. Lots of room for advancement, especially for those who take advantage of training opportunities. Great teamwork and camaraderie.

Cons

The need to balance quality, schedule, cost, competitive pressure and regulatory oversight demands constant vigilance. It's difficult to step away for time off without disrupting the flow.

Be more selective in choosing products to develop. Better focus can allow even more innovation and work-life balance.

Very favorable to men. NO women in management positions.

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at St. Jude Medical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Patient interaction, making a difference in the lives of people you put your devices in. Great products.

Cons

Decreasing compensation. Very pro men-anti women. Management style is very negative. They manage by intimidation. Management changes faster than you change your underwear. Had 6 managers in 7 years. Horrible training. Small company with no continutity or clear sales message. 1 person marketing team. She is good, but cant do it all.

realize that the sales people are the most important part of the company. If you beat them down, how are they supposed to be positive in front of the customer?