St. Jude Medical

Updated January 29, 2015
2.7

St. Jude Medical Chairman, President, and CEO Daniel J. Starks
Daniel J. Starks

Pros
  • Benefits are good, few good people to work for, good work-life balance for the most part (in 18 reviews)

• Good industry, a lot of employees care (although they are quickly leaving or being let go), good benefits (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance especially for those in low to middle management (in 20 reviews)

• Upper management and executives are too afraid to enact any real change (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Not Good

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Plano, TX

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very smart people and an amazing product

Cons

very political management does not know its people

Many managers have only heir interests in mind. Get rid of them

St Jude Medical is a rewarding place to work. The fact that your job saves and sustains life is a great feeling

Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at St. Jude Medical full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company's benefits and the pay scale is great and highly competitive. Every day results in a challenge that will be valuable to your career.

Cons

The culture is highly political and requires adjustments on a daily basis to ensure consistency in projects and tasks.

Communication and information are not freely distributed to all staff. Typically only select individuals are privy to important information. A company's health is dependent upon a continual flow of key information.

not what it used to be

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

pay is above industry average

Cons

long hours on call 24 7

It was fun, until it wasn't.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There were nice people to work with until they were either let go or left.

Cons

Tough workload when layoffs are high. The methods used to select who is let go...I would love some insight into that.

Management walks the walk, then turns the corner and walks that walk...and it works, they move up. It is very unfortunate. I am ALL for internal promotion. Just for those who obviously deserve it.

Change is good, but living in fear is not. Things were cryptic and twisted; liken to the hunger games.

Information for employees is key. Treat them in a manner so they feel appreciated, not so they feel treated like 3rd graders.

Being overworked means no time for personal development or growth. How do you expect to promote from within when we are too busy to accomplish these items? In addition, how can we accomplish our own goals when we are doing 2+ positions? Ridiculous expectations.

Difficult environment

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time

Pros

Exciting technologies, and potential to improve healthcare

Cons

Highly political, with senior level very adept at playing games. Think "house of Cards". No homicide but certainly see managers attempting to "set each other up". Generally very fear based motivation.

Clean house -and take a long term view on what makes physicians loyal to your products,

Complex organization, undergoing frequent changes to adapt to marketplace

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, great learning opportunity, dedicated employees

Cons

Work-life balance is not great, promotions take a long time

Company culture needs to change!

the worst workplace I have been at, bar none. Run away while you can.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Little Canada, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Little Canada, MN

I worked at St. Jude Medical as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

2-hour winter drive, if you like driving. Good coffee, perhaps?

Cons

politics, clicks, envy and jealousy driven by hyper competitive domineering females, poor managers who don't want to "rock the boat". The basically treat you with no respect and have unrealistic expectations. Not all people are this way, only most mid to senior level managers.

Get rid of conflictive IT PMO Infrastructure Program Managers, build a culture of trust that you don't have, allow people to grow, don't punish people for asking for help, take responsibility for your mistakes.

Access to many different engineering disciplines and opportunities. Larger company with room for advancement.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer I
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer I

I have been working at St. Jude Medical as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Very intelligent people who provide good career guidance and leadership. Opportunity to learn lots of skills.

Cons

As this is a large company it can be difficult to get noticed on a day to day basis. You need to find a way to make yourself stand out.

Neuromodulation takes the hits.

Former Employee - Director in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Plano, TX

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was good to work on a product that really helps people. The integration with the mother ship meant the vacation and other policies (that were sub-par for NMD) were brought in line with the other operating units, so that was good. However, the increased political gaming and backstabbing that comes with being a large company was not welcome.

Cons

However, the increased political gaming and backstabbing that comes with being a large company was not welcome. Having a multi-year warning letter that kept us from launching new products was almost the killer. We went to last place in short order. Internal strife among leadership and the doubts permeated down to the daily worker.

Tell your employees you value them, and not see them as a threat to your job. Bring back the company values that brought so many people to the company in the first place.

Going in the wrong direction

Current Employee - Clinical in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Clinical in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at St. Jude Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Half decent benefits, but they were going to require mandatory time off over Christmas (4+ days of PTO) so vacation time is not yours to use as you please. Incredibly talented and hard working people are employed there but they are not empowered to think for themselves.

Cons

The down-hill spiral in moral is accelerating. There's little to no communication between upper management and the rest of the department except to dictate company wide communications. So many people have left in the last year it is alarming but upper management is applying bandaid fixes and not addressing the core reason people are leaving...we are no longer treated as humans but as commodities to be traded and used (in part due to the shared services model implemented last year). In addition, few people are being replaced so the project teams are too lean to successfully accomplish the work required, much less do it well. There is no work/life balance especially for those in low to middle management.