St. Jude Medical Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Company runs lean and expects you to work 60 hour weeks

I worked at St. Jude Medical

Pros

Decent vacation time allotted throughout the year

Cons

They do not pay what they should considering the number of hours worked in Twin Cities

Advice to Management

Make it less political, even tough it is a fortune 500 company

sales

I have been working at St. Jude Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

patient interaction is good. Decent paycheck but you earn every penny of it. Lots of time with customers

Cons

They are NOT HIPPA compliant. Workload is many times unbearable. Stress level in sales is far above any other company I have worked for. Management leads by intimidation. No time for life outside of work. Call can be 7 days a week. Very few women in Sales position and none in management. Will leave as soon as I can find somewhere that my effort is appreciated amd rewarded.

Advice to Management

Get involved Get out of your offices and into the field. Try supporting your reps and get to know your technical service people. Stop operating the company in silos.

3. Good company to intern at.

I have been working at St. Jude Medical

Pros

Good team spirit among engineers.

Cons

The pay is not the greatest

5. Managing Implantable Medical Device Sales Territory of 2 Clinical Reps and one Field Clinical Engineer.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Reno, NV

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The freedom to develop an uncapped business. Leading a Team in a very competitive landscape. The compensation package and benefits as well.

Cons

Staying on top of the constant evolution of the technology. Maintaining, at a high level, hard earned relationships.
    Although I wouldn't consider these con, just challenges.

Advice to Management

My best advice at this point would be to have a stronger management support / presence in the given territory.

6. Senior engineer

Current Employee - Senior Packaging Engineer in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Packaging Engineer in Westford, MA

I have been working at St. Jude Medical

Pros

Good quality system.
    Excellent product

Cons

Bad senior management
    Terrible management of resources

Advice to Management

better management of resources.
    better definition of job responsibilities.

7. Production Operator

Former Employee - Production Operator in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Production Operator in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at St. Jude Medical

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Management does not know what they are doing? No communication, they are on need to know, basis only.
    Too many situation with miscommunications.

Advice to Management

Improve your communication in all areas and all times.

8. Medical Device Company is good for IT professionals

Former Employee - SAP Security Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - SAP Security Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at St. Jude Medical

Pros

If you want opportunities to contribute to the company and community then you need to work at St Jude. IT department works closely with business units to determine which project is most beneficial to the company.

Cons

IT management team at lower level tend towards micro-management tactics.

Advice to Management

Continue to utilize project management office to determine the correct project to work for the company's growth. Instruct lower level management to be flexible in worksite assignments.

Frenzied Unprofessional, Low Employee Worth, Top-Heavy Organization

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Sylmar, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Sylmar, CA

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The large corporate nature of the organization allow for some various opportunities in training as well as finding certain helpful resources. Additionally, the benefits package is fairly competitive, but certainly nothing more than that.

Cons

Quite frankly there are too many to list but just to highlight a few from my own personal experience:

1) My manager had been changed between when I accepted my offer and when I showed up my first day. I was not informed of this and had never met the manager I ended up working with. Had I known how inexperienced he was, I may have re-considered the offer. Furthermore, it feels like this company has a 2:1 manager to engineer ratio; it needs less managers, not more.

2) When I interviewed, the interactions felt forced and seemed very "surface" level. Additionally, there was supposed to be a team lunch where I got to know a couple of the team members, but "they just didn't have time to meet." This, along with the fact that they wanted me to start the Monday after I graduated, should have been red flags.

3) Since leaving, I've spoken to a few different former colleagues and they have either already left or are trying to. The employees aren't happy nor do they believe in sweeping issues under rug especially when the products are intended to save lives.

If you're considering employment at SJM, I'd recommend reading and reviewing these Glassdoor reviews, I wish I would have. If you're still not convinced, watch the employees leave the building at the end of the day and let that tell the story.

Advice to Management

Transparency is valued. Look at high-tech and let that be a model.

Management titles should be earned, not acquired via mitosis.

Stay away!

I have been working at St. Jude Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some people were nice, unfortunately they were all laid off. Some were rehired... Rolls coaster.

Cons

Just about everything else. Bad processes, lies from management, job security, no work life balance, poor leadership.

Advice to Management

Stop laying good people off.

Unfortunately the more FDA stays incompetent & inept, the further ahead St. Jude Medical will be.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sylmar, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sylmar, CA

I have been working at St. Jude Medical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are green, or an intern, or have less than 3 years experiences than this corrupt organization is a perfect place for you. You will be surrounded with glorified senior managers, with big talkers, and with know it all so called senior management. They would present themselves with confidence even though they do not know what they are talking about it. If you are a good engineer and want to be treated by these corrupted Sr. Directors & Sr. Managers like a grad student or intern, than this is the place for you. If you like fulfilling tasks and checklists without thinking, than this is the place for you. If you simply want to work like a dog, by all means feel free to apply.

Cons

St. Jude Medical is a no longer a “TRUE” Medical Device company that saves lives but a profit center run by bean counters and mediocre directors paid to maintain appearances. St Jude Medical empowers these unqualified Sr. VPs and Sr. Directors to make irrational decisions on projects and programs which they have absolutely no technical knowledge. I am talking specifically the Program Management personnel. What an irresponsible and brainless department. This Program Management department must be canned in order for the company to move forward.

Sr. Executive Management has poor insight with old paradigms of thoughts that are oddly unbalanced with an arrogance of belief in historical reputation and complacency. All the good people are gone or leaving. This company is all about processes with little action. It’s a poor sign of current leadership and it is a reflection of St. Jude Medical's expected demise. It does not move or think fast enough for the highly intelligent.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate your Sr. VP’s, Sr. Directors, Sr. Managers and the whole Program Management Department. Stop providing generous financial packages to your top leaders and maybe you will get someone who is willing to make decisions irrespective of Wall Street bean-counting demands.

Greed is not working at St Jude Medical. How can a company complain about financial health when Sr. VP’s, Sr. Directors, Sr. Managers and the whole Program Management Department are over-paid? I am sure a few million less to your leadership will go a long way towards some interesting business case development.

Get rid of these hypocrites in Program Management that are trying to build their own castle on a detour from general industry practice so that only they can lead the way for their own job security rather than for business continuity. Do not let these hypocrites fool you! It stinks.

As long as Sr. Executives and Sr. Management that have caused the 2012 fiasco are still here, than there will be no innovation. Keep wasting money by buying companies and try to incorporate their technology into mediocre St. Jude Medical Products.

RSS Feed </> Embed