St. Louis Post Dispatch

Add Photos

Gilbert Bailon

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Loved this place!

Classified Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at St. Louis Post Dispatch part-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery family oriented, Great people to work with/for.

ConsSeemed hard to advance to better positions within the company

Advice to Senior ManagementI thought Management was great!

Its difficult to work in a "sinking ship" atmosphere, especially with managers who are completely self-absorbed.

Marketing Department Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at St. Louis Post Dispatch full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe medical and dental benefits were (surprisingly) pretty good. There were a few good people there who I enjoyed working with. Freedom to try new ideas, but lots of red tape everywhere as usual within a larger corporation.

ConsI've never worked with such a group of self-important, power-hungry people than in the Marketing Department at the P-D. If you don't suck up, and have the nerve to speak up when you believe something is wrong, you will not go very far. The people who hold management positions are those who suck up to the VP (but are happy to talk very badly about her behind closed doors.) A very unhealthy work environment. I do not miss working there at all. Its a shame, as the paper enjoys a long legacy and is the last daily paper in St. Louis. Lee Enterprises isn't a good parent company, and many old-timers longingly talk of the Pulitzer days. Add to all of this the fact that the newspaper industry is fading fast, and as a result, there are continuous layoffs. And constant furloughs and freezes on raises, promised benefits and bonuses that were never delivered despite meeting the criteria agreed on for them... hard to keep your morale up.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO continuously gets large bonuses and stock options while lower level employees are fortunate to be able to pay their bills. Its amazing the paper still has a number of long-term, faithful employees... only because there's no other newspaper in town to work for!

Was a good, well paying union job that many good people and their families counted on.

Union Pressman (Former Employee)

I worked at St. Louis Post Dispatch full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUnion pressman wage was about 29.00hr. Had to work nights and weekends because of seniority but was easy labor.

ConsWas given a full time opportunity for a union skilled trade position. Was great pay and benefits until Mary junck the old CEO laid off a lot of good, hard working people. Ruining peoples lives but still getting her huge bonuses that was reportedly close to 1 million dollars. Almost everyone we worked with in the union trades were good, nice people. Would not recommend anyone with a family to work there because you never know if your going to be out the door if your not on a union protected contract. If your a part time mailer you'll never make more than 12.00 with no advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck with your 2.00 a share stock that at one time was close to 40.00 with Pulitzer.

Lot of hard work

I have been working at St. Louis Post Dispatch full-time for more than a year

ProsSmall, close knit department
Open door policies with all managers
Family oriented work environment
Ability to make your position your own (within reason, of course)

ConsNo sense of complete job security (but who does get that anymore these days)
Small, close knit department - that's a double edged sword sometimes
Work of 2-3 people and not compensated for that
Lack of communication from upper, upper management on the state of the company

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are often too wishy-washy on who we're trying to reach with our internal campaigns. Sometimes I feel like we're trying to convince ourselves of why we want consumer to pick up/subscribe to the paper and not necessarily the customer. It can be frustrating and terrifying to constantly worry about the security of our jobs, sometimes a bit more communication about the state of the company can be helpful and calming.

No longer a nice place to work

Journalist (Former Employee)

I worked at St. Louis Post Dispatch full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMany of the people there are wonderful

ConsLee Enterprises is one of the worst companies in the United States

Advice to Senior ManagementStop giving yourselves huge bonuses while laying off a huge chunk of your workforce and reducing salaries for the rank and file.

Instructive, informative, challenging, but not always invigorating

Content Editor (Former Employee)

I worked at St. Louis Post Dispatch full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat colleagues, good product, committed staff, public service, public information.

ConsRapid downsizing over the past few years due to layoffs, cutbacks.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure ways to maintain overall quality despite reduced resources.

Sinking ship

Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at St. Louis Post Dispatch

ProsThe employees at the Post-Dispatch are an amazing and talented group of people to work with on daily projects.

ConsThe parent company seems to want to close the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. There are very few opportunities for advancement. There is practically no provisions no new training or networking.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank all of your employees for the daily good work that they provide.

4/5

Advertising Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at St. Louis Post Dispatch

ProsGood compensation
Ability to work independently within guildlines

ConsMore of a grade school like atmosphere than work environment
Little interaction between departments

Advice to Senior ManagementBe better prepared for deadlines

Worked for St. Louis Post Dispatch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at St. Louis Post Dispatch reviews and ratings in Saint Louis, MO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for St. Louis Post Dispatch CEO Gilbert Bailon. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by St. Louis Post Dispatch employees.