St. Luke's Episcopal Health System

3.2
David J. Fine

1. Intern

I worked at St. Luke's Episcopal Health System

Pros

The team I worked with were very knowledgeable and research oriented. It was really great internship experience!!

Cons

I had to leave after my internship

2. IT

I worked at St. Luke's Episcopal Health System full-time

Pros

Relatively calm place to work.

Cons

Physicians rule the roost. Decisions aren't based on business analysis but on more of a touchy-feely basis. Senior leadership has come up through the healthcare ranks but they don't have a strong business minded leader at the helm. It's a lot of prima donna people in leadership.

Advice to Management

You can't be all things to all people. Take a stand and run it as a business.

3. staff

I worked at St. Luke's Episcopal Health System

Pros

nice place to work for decent pay

Cons

quality of life was hard to balance personally

5. Enterprise Intelligent Architect

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at St. Luke's Episcopal Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family friendly environment and no pressure.

Cons

no technology challenge and downtown traffic is horrible.

6. Nice organization to work at.

I worked at St. Luke's Episcopal Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and highly respected clinical environment. Advanced medicine and procedures that attract patients from all over the world.

Cons

Not many. Need to work harder to align with community physicians. Need to improve IT staff training requirements to ensure continued improvement is services.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing.

7. Endoscopy Technician

Former Employee - Endoscopy Technician in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Endoscopy Technician in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at St. Luke's Episcopal Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice, state of the art facility and location

Cons

Management has lost touch with the needs of the doctors and under rate Endoscopy in general.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the needs of Doctors and Employees in all areas. Realize happy doctor keep bringing patience back.

8. Great opportunity to work in a world class health system

Former Employee - Administration in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administration in Houston, TX

I worked at St. Luke's Episcopal Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to advance, professional development opportunities, great people, clinical excellence, world class physicians, nurses and other health professionals, and competitive compensation and benefits.

Cons

Commute to the TMC, lack of convenient parking for most staff, no work life balance, too much focus on finances rather than other values, older facilities in need of renovation, not enough respect and recognition for long term employees

9. Mediocre

Former Employee - Admissions Interviewer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Admissions Interviewer in Houston, TX

I worked at St. Luke's Episcopal Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was okay, co-workers were a great team

Cons

Benefits were expensive, too many changes

Advice to Management

Figure out what direction you are going.

10. SLEH - IT Jobs

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at St. Luke's Episcopal Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Unless you're on a huge project, your workload is fairly reasonable.

Cons

Benefits aren't that great. One would think that a hospital would have terrific health benefits. Not really.

Results may vary

Former Employee - RN Operating Room in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - RN Operating Room in Houston, TX

I worked at St. Luke's Episcopal Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Used to have an excellent reputation. In regards to management: high senior management turnover. Immediate managers: results may vary.

Cons

Managers feel free to make openly racist comments. Politics are also race-based. I was actually asked about race repeatedly by different managers. Management and their favorite stay follows race lines, followed by staff-sycophants. Do not expect that going above and beyond and/or being good as well as hard-working means anything. To be fired apparently is difficult: I guess they need proof that you intentionally killed a patient. However, they will chase you off if they think you might question practices (like parking patients in the hallway before surgery and leaving them there)!!
    Benefits are TERRIBLE: expensive but cover little. If you need a medical leave, you are not paid for 30 days before they will even consider giving you partial payment. High deductibles.
     The doctors that complain loudly are treated with kid gloves. One even said staff could be replaced with homeless people. Another would say he was going to "tell his dad" (a highly placed surgeon); did I somehow end up back in school? Quality is not rewarded even for surgeons, only the complainers get extra rooms, etc.
      I do not recommend this as a place of employment or to allow your friends and families to be patients.

Advice to Management

Keep a closer eye on managers: make sure they do not break the law or allow patients to be placed in danger. Also, just because "we've always done it that way", does not make it good practice. Don't reward surgeons based on length of tenure or volume of complaints.

RSS Feed </> Embed