St. Luke's Hospital & Health Network

Be The First To
Add Photos

St. Luke's Hospital & Health Network President and CEO Richard A. Anderson

Richard A. Anderson

Overall good place to work, some staffing/budget issues.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at St. Luke's Hospital & Health Network part-time for more than 3 years

ProsOverall friendly atmosphere, competitive base pay for the area, learning opportunities, willing to hire new grads and nurses without BSNs, tuition reimbursement, self scheduling, updated equipment/facilities, yearly performance evaluations with raises, easily transfer between units/campuses, decent benefits, many opportunities to teach (a lot of students)

ConsA lot of "customer service" scripting for HCAPS scores, no per diem differential, very low shift differential, charge nurses take full assignment with very low differential, often short staffed (as high as 8:1 ratio in med/surg, usually 6:1), rarely diverts (even when at max capacity, will hold acutely ill pts in ED for hours, even days) very budget oriented (constantly pressuring staff to save money in any way possible), staff uniforms with hospital logo--bought out of pocket, teaching hospital (sometimes the only doctor on call is a first year resident with questionable judgement), a lot of brand new nurses working night/evening shifts-- sometimes the most senior nurse on a unit on nights has less than 1 year experience, constantly expanding and adding new hospitals while neglecting to update some of the older ones, high turnover rate especially in ED and Med/Surg

Excellent nursing staff, very friendly. The company, as a whole does not treat their nurses very well.

Registered Nurse, BSN (Former Employee)
Phillipsburg, NJ

I worked at St. Luke's Hospital & Health Network full-time for more than a year

ProsHometown hospital environment to some extent. There is a handful of good nurses left at the Warren Campus.

ConsWhen St. Luke's Health Network took over the hospital, the hospital environment changed. The nurses were given much more demanding workloads without any added incentives or support staff, and the expectations of management became more focused on customer service and "being on stage". They stopped caring about good nurses and providing genuine and compassionate patient care, and they started pushing nurses to engage in "drive-by-nursing" and rehearse customer service lines.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst, you need to value your nursing staff to the extent that you are focused on raising morale and providing the necessary resources and support needed for nurses to provide quality and compassionate patient care. Second, you should treat your nursing staff as the valuable and foundational component of a caring hospital team.

So torn on this place....

I have been working at St. Luke's Hospital & Health Network full-time

ProsAs far as the actual work, this is a great place to be.

The atmosphere is laid back, exceptional patient care, most of the employees are fantastic, and there is much flexibility afforded to employees regarding work-life balance.

There is a decent employee gym.

ConsBenefits and pay are well below the geographical average - maybe because they're non-profit, maybe because of the low stress atmosphere.

The facilities could really use some attention and TLC - they're growing so fast and furiously, that they are neglecting the main campus.

No matching or contributing retirement funds! None, zero! This is unbelievable!

The CEO seems completely out of touch with his employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf this organization wants to compete with its larger competitors, it is going to have to start being more generous with their compensation packages.

The CEO is too focused on growth - work on making what's available now, the best! I would even recommend he, Anderson, be replaced.

Great place to get care, great place to give care!

I have been working at St. Luke's Hospital & Health Network full-time

ProsGreat benefits. Good work environment.

ConsLots of work to do in 40 hour week.

diversified duties

Senior Clerk (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at St. Luke's Hospital & Health Network full-time for more than 5 years

Prosknowledge of functions in every OPD clinic

Consclosure clerk could be disheartening sometimes

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

ST LUKE'S QUAKERTOWN

Imaging Technologist (Current Employee)
Quakertown, PA

I have been working at St. Luke's Hospital & Health Network full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNot many, intimate small setting. Most people know each other. Has the potential for being a nice small community hospital.

ConsA CEO, (Rick Anderson) that is completely out of touch with his employees. He made over $1.3 million in 2011. No network contribution to the mandatory "work wear rule." They choose the color, style, vendor, and they make it mandatory that the "St Lukes logo" is on your work wear. So if you work more than one job, you can't utilize your work clothes.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spending money on expansion, and treat your employees with more respect

Is a great company to work for.

Billing Clerk (Current Employee)
Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at St. Luke's Hospital & Health Network full-time for more than 5 years

ProsManagement are flexible with your time if you have any family emergency.

ConsSalary could be more compatible to the area with other network

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aware what going on around the department

Pay attention to your employees

Bethlehem, PA

ProsLocation is close to home.
Medical Insurance is reasonably priced.
A good group of people to work with.

ConsManagement that is inflexible to family needs with scheduling
Disorganized, Pay scale is out of touch with the area, times and cost of living.
Dirty facilities. Cheap, no education reimbursement.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop expanding and start paying attention to the facilities you currently have.
You are out of touch with your workers.
Stop complaining about the price of doing business with so many employees when you keep acquiring them.

Not a bad place to work

Receiving Clerk (Current Employee)
Bethlehem, PA

ProsGood employees good benefits very good at working with your schedule.

ConsThe pay in my dept is not comparable to other companies

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees more before making decisions that affect them

Very Good

Billing Clerk (Former Employee)
Fountain Hill, PA

ProsNice, friendly people to work with.

ConsI nothing bad to say regarding my former employer.

Worked for St. Luke's Hospital & Health Network? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at St. Luke's Hospital & Health Network reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for St. Luke's Hospital & Health Network CEO Richard A. Anderson. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by St. Luke's Hospital & Health Network employees.