St. Luke’s University Health Network

CEO

Administrative.

Current Employee - Hospital President in Phillipsburg, NJ
    Current Employee - Hospital President in Phillipsburg, NJ

I have been working at St. Luke’s University Health Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well led. Not afraid to take risks. Focused on best practice medicine

Cons

None. This organization is people focused in every way. Also, need clarity on vision - focus on getting bigger or better?

Keep focusing on employee engagement, work/life balance and teamwork. And, pay attention to leadership succession planning needs.

Good Place to work..

I have been working at St. Luke’s University Health Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This place was a pleasure to work. I thought they did a good job keeping all the employees informed as to what is going on at the hospital.

Cons

Pay, and benefits... I thought working at a hospital that I would have good benefits... My current job has better benefits, and its not a hospital...

Great place to work...if you never need to take sick time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at St. Luke’s University Health Network full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Overall morale is good, and most of the employees are like a team, even when from different departments. The company does what it can during hard times to avoid pay cuts, layoffs and reductions in health insurance benefits. Individuals and departments are recognized for outstanding work, and they make everyone feel important. Many of upper management are approachable and interact with staff that is "lower on the totem pole".

Cons

Department managers are given too much authority with not much oversight of their actions. During disputes, Human Resources always sides with the managers, believing their word over that of the lowly staff members they may be trampling all over. If a manager treats one of his/her staff unfairly, there is no unbiased third party to turn to. Worst of all is the fact that someone high up (even HR claims to not know who it is) decided to make rigid rules concerning attendance, which take precedence over all over things, no matter how important those other things are. The rules are followed to the letter...to the extent that you are punished as severely for being a minute late as you would be for being an hour late. And heaven forbid a nurse catches a virus and wants to protect her patients and fellow workers from it by staying home for a day or two. If she doesn't pay her doctor (which would be a St Luke's physician, if she wants it to be covered by the health benefits) for an unnecessary visit for a virus or other self-limiting ailment, she is in danger of severe punishment. Sure, they give you lots of sick time...but you can't use it without losing your job! If you have more than one "occurrence" of sick time without a doctor's excuse within 90 days, you get a third step corrective action right away, no matter what! Who can drive to the doctor when they are throwing up all day with a virus the doctor can't do anything about? It is illogical and completely unfair to the workers and their patients.

Upper management: don't give middle management free reign...they will abuse it, and there is no one out there to protect the little guys. This is one of the reasons unions have to be formed. Middle management: Please just follow the golden rule: "Do unto others..."

Fast-paced Environment with Lots of Great People

Former Employee - IT Intern in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at St. Luke’s University Health Network as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There's always a lot going on, with people of many different skillsets working around you all the time. I learned more than I could have hoped for going in, and it definitely got me interested in healthcare.

Cons

You aren't always given much direction, and are left to figure things out most of the time. This could be a pro depending on the type of person you are.

Great perks if you're attending nursing school

Former Employee - Nurse Aide in Phillipsburg, NJ
    Former Employee - Nurse Aide in Phillipsburg, NJ

I worked at St. Luke’s University Health Network part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great perks like $5,000 to $10,000 tuition remission for the RN to BSN program at Moravian College. Great place to work for if your supersivors are understanding and reasonable. My supervisors on the telemetry floor in the Phillipsburg, NJ branch were great, for the most part. Before switching jobs, I was going to

Cons

Depends on which staff members you work with, your temperament, the patients, and more. The pay sucks and some nurses aide moved to NY to work instead.

It's easy for me to say they should be nicer, but a hospital can't run if it doesn't make money, if there aren't people to do the dirty work, and since the people high up are hired to run the 'business', they can seem out of touch with the rules they make.

They could also explain the inner workings on the rules they make in layman's terms because they come off as insensible decisions and lower staff are meant to just obey

Great opportunities

Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Bethlehem, PA

Pros

Promotions are always yours for the taking. The salary is competitive. The community is not a bad one.

Cons

Big organization with a broad sweeping view to the future. I wish we were more organized clear in our efforts. Maybe instead of doing a lot of things average do just a few things great.

It's a big organization with a typical bureaucratic layout. Some of the management team I hold in really high regard, some of the others not so much.

Lets cut costs

Former Employee - RN ER in Phillipsburg, NJ
    Former Employee - RN ER in Phillipsburg, NJ

I worked at St. Luke’s University Health Network (more than an year)

Pros

Caring attitude of the staff for their patients despite the conditions that they must work in.

Cons

The hospital administration find it to be very prudent at cutting costs. That way ER nurses can work the night shift 7p-7a without any support personnel. This includes Lab Techs, ER Techs,, and a secretary. Plus they can just close a floor and save some bucks too. Their education staff act like its a major inconvenience to give any certification class. They also spare no expense at purchasing the most inexpensive software possible. It crashes frequently.

How about improving the quality of care by providing the staff with good equipment and adequate support personnel. Instead of watching your profit margin. Why don't you take a closer look at what your employees think and feel. You say that you hear us but you damn sure don't listen.

Definitely a great place to get good experience.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at St. Luke’s University Health Network part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working in the emergency department can be highly stressful, however I work with the best team ever.

Cons

We are under paid and over worked that includes working short staffed way too much. Also senior staff is not recognized. New nurses are put in position of charge nurse before a senior nurse is considered. Night shift is treated with less concern.

Listen to your staff, be fair, follow up and don't be two faced among staff and always, always be honest.

Registered Nurse

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Allentown, PA

Pros

Great co-workers and the network is excellent at continued education opportunities. The work schedule is reasonably for the department I am involved in.

Cons

The salary is low for RN. The increases are low with additional experience. Per diem rate is lower than area hospitals.

Increase in salary and vacation

St. Luke's uses employees to do supervisors jobs without paying them half decent wages.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at St. Luke’s University Health Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There were no benefits to working at this organization.

Cons

Management, management, and the hours given were never good enough for the Director (who would demand overtime from an employee while keeping staff undercut).

My advice to management would be to hire a new Director in a certain under-performing department.