St. Mary's College of California

Updated Jun 27, 2014

St. Mary's College of California President & CEO Ronald Gallagher

Ronald Gallagher

Good experience

ProsLots of experience to be gained.

ConsThe pay was a bit low.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees.

Mission Based Institution

ProsClear purpose and mission
    Service oriented
    Friendly
    Beautiful surrounding
    Opportunity to "own" your role
    Work-life balance
    Community based
    High retention of faculty and staff
    Student centered

ConsSalaries for some positions are not competitive. Departments are run very lean on staff which can make it difficult to offer full services, however, people are very knowledgeable about their roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave regular State of the College addresses for all employees.

There's a shared commitment to the mission of the organization among personnel and opportunities to collaborate.

Coordinator (Current Employee) Moraga, CA

ProsThere is a genuine sense of community, a commitment to mission, a strong emphasis on work-life balance, and opportunities for professional development. The administration rewards creativity, innovation and leadership.

ConsSalaries across the board are about 5% below average for the Bay Area, there can be an 'us vs. them' mentality among some departments. The organization has bounced back after the recession and has a good outlook for the years ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries for staff & faculty. Consider merit based salary increases.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Caring community of faculty, staff and administrators. Diverse, engaged student population. Strong mission. Low pay.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Moraga, CA

ProsSaint Mary's is beautiful, friendly, student-centered, collegial and communal. Work there long enough, and you'll become part of "the family." Workplace culture is positive, and as a long-time staff member I was well supported by my colleagues and supervisors. SMC students are generally wonderful to work with, and those who are truly seeking it will find a high-quality liberal arts education and lots of out-of-class opportunities for growth and exploration. As a staff member I was a supervisor, advisor, counselor and teacher to undergraduates and developed positive, meaningful relationships with many. I also worked closely with fellow staff, dozens of faculty members and upper-level administrators and my experiences were generally positive. My department was led by people with vision and I was encouraged to grow professionally and personally.

ConsLow pay as compared to similar jobs in other institutions. Quality of leadership and management in departments across campus varies pretty greatly, so paying attention to the qualifications and qualities of those who are actually interviewing you is key. As a smaller, more communal workplace, personal relationships are valued but professionalism (follow-through, strategic planning, consistent communication) is sometimes lacking. Change often moves at a glacial pace (often true of higher education work environments!). Technology/IT issues have persisted in the past but that looks to be improving. Can be a "small town" type of work environment, so potential employees MUST be relational and know how to learn and acclimate to the social and political landscape.

Advice to Senior ManagementStronger messaging around mission and institutional priorities and vision from the top (the new president, as of Fall '13, could make a big impact in this area). More consistent support AND accountability within and across campus units would create a more professional and competent work culture...basically, the campus needs higher and more consistent workplace expectations. Comparatively low pay is a real issue, and quality people will be lost to other institutions if it is not remedied.

Good small school experience

ProsGreat environment to work in

ConsSmall size makes it easy to get too comfortable.

Great staff

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent experience, friendly and knowledgable staff, great location.

ConsPay is not very high, it's more about the experience.

student job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood pay easy hours, nice bosses. pleasant work environment. good place for students to work

ConsNone that I can think of. Scheduling is very convenient, especially for regular day students

Horrible place to work

Instructor (Former Employee) Moraga, CA

ProsPretty campus and that's about it. Enough said!

ConsVery racist school - especially if you are not white. They will think of anything to get rid of a person in any manner of policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview your HR discrimination procedures and workplace bullying policies closely.

Love this place.

Student Assistant (Current Employee) Moraga, CA

ProsAwesome school, great culture, and community.

ConsI have no cons to give for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

I love the people that I work with. They are extremely flexible with their student workers

ProsThey really value the Lasallian principles

ConsI don't have any cons really

Worked for St. Mary's College of California? Contribute to the Community!