St. Mary's Home For Boys

Updated July 19, 2014
Updated July 19, 2014
2.6

CEO

working with kids with behavioral issues can be both rewarding and taxing.

Former Employee - Residential Counselor I in Beaverton, OR

I worked at St. Mary's Home For Boys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

nice people to work with. good company culture.

Cons

salary isn't great, but could be worse. turnover rate is high.

bump up the salaries so employees stay longer.

So much potential, and yet...

Former Employee - Therapist in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Therapist in Beaverton, OR

I worked at St. Mary's Home For Boys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

*sigh* here we go...
    It pains me to write this review. There are many devoted, skilled staff at St. Mary's, especially in the day treatment program. Working with this population is a rewarding and challenging experience, and the rate of staff injury is certainly less than other youth res. programs.

Cons

This company is like a snapshot from the 1950's. Paper files. Boys tuck in their shirts and address staff as Mr. and Ms. Long hair and piercings are not allowed. Medication is viewed as a crutch. Treatment focuses on addressing external behavior solely. "Non-compliance" is seen as a safety concern warranting restraint/seclusion.

What is missing, from the last 60+ years? Trauma-informed, attachment-based, therapeutic approaches. Collaborative Problem Solving and adults not engaging in power struggles. Seeing the boys as traumatized and lacking skills, instead of conduct-disordered. It is heartbreaking to see the way the boys are threatened and shamed into "compliance"--aka treatment success.

The reason this company is so old-fashioned is because "new ideas" are unwelcome and viewed as threats. The upper management bends over backwards on a daily basis to ensure that they can maintain the status-quo. It is no coincidence that the upper management has all been with the company for 25+ years, while the newer staff are viewed as disposable. It doesn't take long to see how broken the system is. Most people choose to leave at that point. I chose to stand up, to advocate for the boys and for positive change. I was laid off due to "budgetary concerns." My heart hurts as I think of how much more could be done for the boys.

I would never send a client here, and I haven't looked back. Lord help that place.

Using fear and shame to manage staff is harmful to the company culture. This approach is what has created the scapegoating, finger-pointing, highly hierarchical culture. The way you treat staff strongly affects the way the boys are treated.

A combination of stressful, frustrating, confusing, and at times.. rewarding

I worked at St. Mary's Home For Boys full-time

Pros

Some of the practices/policies are done well and organized. They have been around a long time. An opportunity to invest time and energy into youth who have had a rough life.

Cons

Very political climate with a definite hierarchy/ pecking order with staff and often micro-management. Little formal training. Low morale. High turnover. Very structured environment became often created practices that were too rigid to deal with youth/ and situations adequately.

Be open to feedback and change from employees.

The job and people are great, but it becomes your life.

Current Employee - Residential Counselor I in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor I in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at St. Mary's Home For Boys

Pros

The people are great to work with. If you ever need anything, they are there for you from the management down to your coworkers. It can be very rewarding when you make a difference and it looks very good on a resume if this is the career path you want to be in. Very good benefits package as well.

Cons

The compensation is very low, and everyone starts out with the 2:45-10:45 shift and non Friday or Saturday weekends. That said, your social life is pretty much ruined and it can be very tough to make it by. But, these are things that are pretty common with this field. The kids can also be very tough to deal with at times, and you may feel like you are not making any progress.

I have no complaints about any of the cottage managers. They are very accommodating and have your back, as well as give honest feedback. The orientation process could be better, as it seems that they just throw you right into it and you may not even know some of the basics of the job. It definitely takes at least a month to feel any comfort (a week of training before starting shifts could be beneficial).

St. Mary's Home For Boys Photos