St.Vincent Health

St.Vincent Health Reviews

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
3.1

Vincent C. Caponi, B.A., M.H.A.

I like the environment and the people that I wrork with on the unit that I work on. We are like a family.

Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at St.Vincent Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like working with this company because we work as a team. When someone needs to take time off work, we share the responsibility of covering the shift that the person can not work. Also, when someone has something to celebrate or experiencing a difficult situation, we support that person.

Cons

Having to deal with the atttitudes of some of the workers who don't want to be at work and they want you to feel misery with them.

I really have nothing to say about the upper management because they, as well as the workers are a team player.

Corp Accounting, Audit, Balance Sheet Review

I have been working at St.Vincent Health

Pros

Five weeks of vacation and thats about it.

Cons

No Growth, bad management, low yearly increases in pay

St. Vincent Health

I have been working at St.Vincent Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible with job, decent pay, and great co-workers

Cons

Change management is not handled properly and thus lowers morale. Also, management's lack of monitoring spending on going causes a continuous cycle of layoffs every few years.

Listen to your people. They have a lot of good ideas.

Company stands behind values

Former Employee - Office Representative
    Former Employee - Office Representative

I worked at St.Vincent Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

St. Vincent Hospital stands behind their values, including Service to the Poor, Reverence, Integrity, and Creativity. People seem happy and work together as a whole. Benefits are good and recognition is given for your continued service(I.e. after 5 year mark, I got to select a gift etc).

Cons

In 2013 , there was a round of layoffs. That's why I no longer work there. Since the company restructure, benefits have been changed and yearly bonuses eliminated in order to save money. Hours have been reduced. But since the changes, I don't know of anyone that has quit. People are still loyal to the company. If you are seeking a clinical job, this would be a good fit for you. However, if you are administrative(non-management) there may not be as many positions and no clear path for advancement.

Hopefully the restructuring is successful. Please try to avoid any layoffs in the future. It was a blessing, in that I took the time to finish my degree, butI haven't been able to secure employment since.

Work you to death, no respect

I have been working at St.Vincent Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is best in the area.

Cons

Management did not hold people accountable, work hours were ridiculous, and unsafe.

Stop worrying about your image within the community and start worrying about your inage within your facilities and your employees

Overall, enjoyed the experience of working with nurses who care not only for pt. but for each other.

Former Employee - License Practical Nurse in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - License Practical Nurse in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at St.Vincent Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits were good. Loved the work hours 7a-7p

Cons

Too much politics and less concern for pt. care. Short-staffed all the time. The managers and Ceo of company more concerned about policy than want is needed to staff their hospital.

Believe that they should spend as much time promoting the "Spirit of Caring" with their staff as they do with their patients. They should do a better job supporting their staff and supplying them with what they need to do provide the quality of patient care they keep advertising.

Call Center Associate who called and contacted former patients to raise money for The Hospital Foundation.

Former Employee - Call Center Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Call Center Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at St.Vincent Health part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Talking with former St. Vincent patients about the great services St. Vincent provided them, and offers for the poor and the sick. Fundraising for excellent contributor to our community. Few people realize the Mission of the Foundation and Hospital and all the care it provides for individuals.

Cons

Position was only available in the evening hours.

Make use of experienced employees, their input is important for Program Development. Offer higher starting pay for employees along with some benefits.

Lots of changes...

Current Employee - Staff RN
    Current Employee - Staff RN

I have been working at St.Vincent Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I work with great people!

Cons

Too many changes, and not for the best.

Long term employee unhappy with changes

Current Employee - Staff RN in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at St.Vincent Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Spirit of Caring is evident with the docs, nurses and most employees with direct patient contact. Employees treat each other like family but most importantly the patient is the number one priority

Cons

Managers and Directors seem disinterested in the issues their subordinates face in their daily work. Problem solving is done without the input from the actual workers and therefore ineffective. There seems to be a disconnect between management and workers-a "them" vs "us" mentality.

Please be more transparent and treat your employees with the Core Values that represent our mission.

Would be a great place if they would hire good managers, manage what they have.

Former Employee - Nursing in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Nursing in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at St.Vincent Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Top pay in Indy, benefits

Cons

Bad management - they have their managers over too many locations, and they are scattered, clueless about their departments, or delegate too much to staff that should be focused on their patients. Too many changes - eliminating staff that is needed makes it's too hard on the staff that's left.

Hire a few more managers instead of having 1 person run 10 areas. Quit eliminating staff that is needed ie techs, LPNs, etc. Quit expanding and perfect what you have. There are areas of the hospital that don't have equipment needed, crummy 2% raises are forfeited, and staffing freezes only hurt what you have. The core values used to stand for something, but my last few years there showed otherwise.