Stage Stores

Updated September 14, 2014
2.9

Stage Stores President & CEO Michael Glazer
Michael Glazer

Pros
  • Employee discount was a plus- 20% (in 9 reviews)

• Relaxed culture, work life balance available in many departments (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Unprofessionalism from upper management (including HR) (in 8 reviews)

• Little to no chance of advancement, positions are usually given to contractors (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Exhausting

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stage Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work with really nice people. Can learn about a lot of different areas of retail management

Cons

Store managers are asked to do way too much and work a crazy amount of hours with very poor pay.

Upper management needs to show the people that work for them they are valued and appreciated.

Good chance for being promoted

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Stage Stores full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fast-paced, ever changing; good fit for energetic, people person. Great associate discount! Good benefits for full-time associates. Flexible scheduling except for Holidays and peek times.

Cons

Very few Saturdays or Holidays off a year! Have to make goals for signing up customers to preview magazines, which enables the magazine company to charge subscriptions to your customers' credit card, unless they cancel the transaction. Basically pimping out your customer's information (including credit card number) to magazine company!

Spend more payroll! Need to have more than two associates working a 22,000 square foot building. Not safe and not able to sell to customer and complete operations. You have to spend money to make money. Wages not competitive making it difficult to hire and retain quality associates.

Angry older customers who you can't say no to.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Ada, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ada, OK

I worked at Stage Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Experience. You can meet interesting people.

Cons

Rude customers more often than not. Sorry management. Focused more on getting accounts and magazines than customer service.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful work environment

I have been working at Stage Stores

Pros

Family like atmosphere. Employee discounts

Cons

Improve employee perks and benefits

Improve work life balance

Unrealistic Goals and Stressful enviroment

I worked at Stage Stores full-time

Pros

Great benefits package and excellent discount offers

Cons

goals are unrealistic, upper management does not care about loyalty of employees, cutting payroll but adding more work to everyone's duties, depending on magazine sales in a clothing store to show a profit.

promote within based on experience, get back to focusing on sales goals and merchandise instead of pushing non essential retail materials.

Sr. Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Senior Assistant Manager  in  Hidalgo, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Assistant Manager in Hidalgo, TX

I worked at Stage Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Atmosphere, Great Associates, Hard Working Personnel, Good Associates Discounts, Good to Start Gaining Experience in Retail, Good Clothing Brands.

Cons

Miserable Wages, Does Not Recommend if you Want To Build a Career with this Company, You Will Work on Every Holiday except Christmas.

Work on Better Wages for Management Personnel.

Good work atmosphere

I have been working at Stage Stores

Pros

Good benefit, nice people, good work atmosphere

Cons

They move you around a lot, hard to advance.

The worst run company I have ever worked for

Former Employee - Salesperson
    Former Employee - Salesperson

I worked at Stage Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount on top of coupons

Cons

Where do I start, I should have known that when I was insulted in my job interview by the manager that I should pass on this job. but of course meeting the job and the money I took it anyway. The fellow employees are pettyso much drama they try to drag you into it.absolutely no proper training you got two chances to learn the register. And if you messed up you got written up. you were told you had to push magazines and all kinds of different promotions. I found out the hard way and got written up because I did not meet my quotafor the week even though I was just a part timer only worked 8 hours total that week. The place was a waste of my time and it's a joke I won't even go to shop there now

Acknowledge your employees. Its pretty bad when a district manager comes in the store and doesn't even talk to any of the employees,and will only speak with the manager.

Great

I have been working at Stage Stores

Pros

Salary, positive work environment, good people, summer hours and a variety of opportunities.

Cons

If you're not used to a very corporate environment it may take some getting used to.

Toxic work environment

Former Employee - Advertising  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Advertising in Houston, TX

I worked at Stage Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Office has a café
    -Fun co-workers
    -Decent work/life balance

Cons

-Everyone is out for themselves in this company. Constant back-stabbing. Dog-eat-dog culture.
    -Little to no teamwork. You are generally on your own, with little to no training.
    -Little to no communication from upper management
    -Unprofessionalism from upper management (including HR)
    -The organization is set up in almost an assembly line or factory fashion. Your opinions about the work, do not matter. You're just supposed to keep your head down, and complete the work
    -Your opinions do not matter. Management does not treat you like human beings. In theory, you're basically a machine that pumps out work
    -Employees are constantly finger-pointing, back-stabbing each other, and throwing each other under the bus instead of working as a team
    -Upper management (including VP's and up) are so oblivious to current trends and competition
    -Company from a marketing, e-commerce and advertising perspective is at least 5 years behind
    -Understaffed
    -Office location, and office itself isn't great. Office is old & dingy, and is a renovated warehouse
    -High bureaucracy
    -No opportunity for personal development or career growth
    -Poor compensation
    -You have to pay for coffee?

Stage is a sinking ship. If you do not make changes, you will not be able to retain talent.
    The culture you're cultivating is not healthy, and is not efficient.
    How about treating your employees like human beings for a change?

Also, if you do not get with the times, implement new technology, and stay current with the industry, you will no longer be competitive.

Worked for Stage Stores? Contribute to the Community!