Stage Stores

Updated February 20, 2015
2.8

Stage Stores President & CEO Michael Glazer
Michael Glazer

Pros
  • Employee discount was a plus- 20% (in 9 reviews)

• Relaxed culture, work life balance available in many departments (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Unprofessionalism from upper management (including HR) (in 8 reviews)

• Little to no chance of advancement, positions are usually given to contractors (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Gratifying

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stage Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Making independent judgments and offering best customer service in fast pace travel department. Working from high level executives to cosmetic counter employees making sure all travel is confirmed and satisfactory.

Cons

Given other duties to perform that are not travel related and get in the way of what I was doing.

Stage

Former Employee - Supervisor in Heber Springs, AR
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Heber Springs, AR

I worked at Stage Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Loved my boss, good company, fun work atmosphere

Cons

Low pay, rude public

More organization

I don't even know what to think.

I worked at Stage Stores

Pros

You get smoke breaks, that's it.

Cons

In my time working here, I worked 12 hour shifts due to call-ins and was promised a promotion to supervisor. When an assistant manager walked out on her shift (was accused of coupon abuse), there was one open. I was then told that I would not be promoted because my numbers were too good on the register. So she's currently looking at promoting an employee who is late for what few shifts she shows up for.

Priorities.

Good for extra income or getting started.

I worked at Stage Stores

Pros

Nice discount that can be combined with coupons. Fun to see new merchandise. Great to interact with customers.

Cons

Too many tasks expected to be done in one shift.
    Quotas for credit cards and magazines make the job less pleasant.

Get the message to the superiors to take it down a notch with having us hassle the customers. Figure out a way to schedule more hams on deck to get job done well without overwhelming staff.

It was Eh.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ada, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ada, OK

I worked at Stage Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There wasn't a lot to the job.Very easy to do.

Cons

low pay, they hound you to sell credit cards and magazines, old demanding ladies, coworkers, manager favoritism.

Good Luck Getting Promoted

I worked at Stage Stores

Pros

-female friendly environment
    -summer hours, half day Fridays during the summer time

Cons

-antiquated systems
    -ET candidates get first choice of jobs or promotions over individuals with better education and work experience

Horrible management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hays, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hays, KS

I worked at Stage Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to this job. My GM was a total flake.

Cons

GM was not consistent w employees. She had her favorites and they got away with whatever they wanted. This company has no structure, and hire GMs that have no experience and have no place running a store. If you like being forced to ask for credit apps and the 3 free magazines, which is embarrassing, this is the job for you. Run....run fast.

Working at Stage Stores has allowed me to develop and grow in my professional skill set and my inner personal skill set.

I have been working at Stage Stores

Pros

Stage stores has wonderful coworkers and staff to work along side. They offer great benefits. The work load, that I take on, still allows me to have a life outside of the office.

Cons

As in most retail jobs, the stresses of the holiday times do make for a challenge.

It's inviting to know that employees can share their beliefs openly in the work place.

DO NOT WORK HERE!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Stage Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, and good place to meet good people/coworkers. Discount if you're into their clothing.

Cons

Very VERY underpaid company! Way below standards for the cost of living in Houston! And "raises" are a complete joke! Only 2% raise which doesn't even cover the cost of a lunch on a paycheck. And that raise was when the economy was "good"

Treat your employees with respect, and gratitude. No gratitude for staff as a whole!

A few months in.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Stage Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The customer base is wonderful and whoever runs Marketing/PR knows exactly what they're doing, the store manager that hired me was, by far, the most positive and encouraging boss i have ever had and was a joy to work with (unfortunately she quit due to some of the problems) If you care at all about people and the appearance of your workplace the job itself is actually quite easy; it boils down to: 1.) Take care of your customers 2.) take care of your store.

Cons

Nonexistent training, low pay, lazy and unmotivated coworkers, HUGE fluctuations in scheduled hours (from 30 one week to only 6 the next) My Assistant Manager is completely incompetent and rude and drives customers away with her random made-up answers to questions and poor soft skills. Poor scheduling system resulting in no coverage for meal breaks, causing you to have to make a choice between being a "team player" and "declining" a meal break or taking one and having the rest of the "team" look down on you.

Value your front-line employees as much as you expect *them* to value your stores. Pay a reasonable amount for the level of commitment you are expecting and *then* hold people to those expectations. Live up to your supposed core values. Give your people the tools, knowledge, and time they need to succeed. Implement daily team meetings. Keep Associates in the loop with emails too instead of just the Management. Want to fight shrink? 1.) Staff the store so that there are more than 2 people scheduled to work on sale days where we have 30 plus customers in the store at a time. AND 2.)Invest in a new inventory infrastructure that is accessible in-store as an associate so that the team knows what we have, where it is, how much of it we are supposed to have, and how it should be displayed.