Stamats Reviews

2.7

Guy Wendler

Entry-level designer/web content curator

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Stamats full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere as Stamats really allows creativity to flourish. Work attire is casual everyday, not just Fridays, and everyone is very friendly.

Cons

Despite being a communication company, the communication network at Stamats is severely broken. There were many times where upper management would make decisions that directly impacted my workload without asking me or my supervisor how it might affect my work. There is also very little collaboration and idea sharing among employees. There's also very little opportunity to move up in the company. Since many of the employees have families, they are less likely to move on to a better job that might require relocating. The company also has a very severe division between their higher education side and business-to-business publication side (the building is also split in two like this). This division creates an undeniable underlying animosity between employees.

Tried very hard to make this a life-time career...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Stamats full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people who work here are awfully smart, I learned a ton (and even taught a few things!) to some very intelligent and hardworking people.

The building itself is in a nice location and it's got a lot of pleasing artwork and awards to make you feel proud of the work you are doing.

Being a family owned company, they do keep that in mind and cater to the lifestyles of families. This is helpful if you have one.

Really, it's the coworkers who make this place what it is.

Cons

They allow certain managers to really beat down and belittle their employees. I was personally told that senior level management was aware of these actions (by senior level management!), but nothing is done about it. They've watched a lot of people leave before, and will watch a lot more leave until they fix this glaringly obvious issue.

There are quite a few positions within the company that have little to no training available, nor direction for support on the position. Anyone who manages anyone in this company needs to know exactly what this person is going to do, what the overall end-result should be and how this employee is supposed to get there. There is support available in this company, but you need to go looking for it. Be prepared to hit the ground running when you start.

Wages are extremely low for the market and there is very little room for growth or advancement - even if you do everything in your power to make yourself noticed (and needed) within the company.

I know they offer better benefits than some, but I wasn't able to partake due to the cost.

Move faster on decisions you need to make (whether it's hiring/policy updates/promotions etc). I can't tell you how many times I interviewed and how long it actually took to get hired over a 3 year period.

Realize when you do "departmental decisions" and don't alert the entire company to what is going on... you create an unsteady work environment to those who are "out of the loop." If we hear through the grapevine about layoffs or restructuring - but not from the horses mouth, we'll wonder who "really matters" here.

Take what you have and use it, but be prepared to pay for it. We're all working to make a living, but let us make a life too. You've currently got a 5 departmental company, in which near everyone is unhappy - hire employees to work for your company, instead of your divisions. I guarantee you'll find an increased sense of moral, and your salary dollars will work better for you. (add up the cost of living in Cedar Rapids... pay $10,000 over that and you'll get good employees to work for you... and STAY!)

Listen to your employees and realize that even though what they are saying may not effect you in a day to day sense, that what they are struggling with (especially managerial issues) they take home with them every night. Overall employees will want to do a good job for you, if they feel like they are coming to a good job. The longer these issues remain without being dealt with... the less and less that employee will care about that work they do for you.

Great People, Poor Pay

I worked at Stamats full-time

Pros

The best part about Stamats is its employees. People are eager to help and have a great attitude. The company is very open about business decisions and financials. They work really hard to create a positive work culture. Best part? Summer hours!

Cons

There is extremely low pay and little opportunity for promotions. There is high employee turnover. During my short time here I saw a handful of people laid off with no notice.

Pay what people are worth otherwise they will leave. Don't treat certain (failing) business units to special events and not include the other business units. Creates bad morale.

Managers do not micromanage.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Stamats full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a great company where you can go in and do your work without having managers micromanage everything you do. They treat you like the adult that you are. Middle managers do not exist. The company is extremely transparent in their financials. The attire is business casual, but jeans are also the norm. Benefits include a floating holiday for your birthday and early out on Friday afternoons in the summer.

Cons

While having managers with a hands off approach, often leads to the managers not understanding what an employee's day to day duties are. There really is not much room for career opportunities from within even though they take pride in saying they like to promote from within. The business is divided basically at the lobby level. On one side of the building is the educational services group, the other side of the building is the commercial business group. It really feels like not one company but two that do not know who each other are.

Find a way to make the company feel like one.

A place you can be proud to work, but where you can expect lower than market value compensation for your efforts

Current Employee - Coordinator in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Stamats

Pros

It's a family-owned company with sort of a family atmosphere.

Cons

Stamats is known for it's low compensation levels. However, there are other advantages to Stamats that compensate partially for that: a day off for your birthday, opportunity for tuition assistance, team environment, etc.

Senior management doesn't always consider the impact that their decisions will have on the people who report to them. Unrealistic expectations can be set based on managements' desire to meet a specific deadline rather than on a realistic assessment of the time it will take to accomplish the goal.

Chaotic sweatshop with managers that should not manage people.

Former Employee - Sales Management in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Management in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Stamats

Pros

Colleagues and peers are great. There is a feeling among employees that "we're all in this chaos together."

Cons

A sweat shop. Management is arrogant and lacks integrity. Demands quick turnaround on assignments that involve long hours, late nights. This reduces quality. Management has a screaming and yelling style. Often belittles employees, especially in front of colleagues. Poor morale. High turnover due to overall atmosphere of negative energy.

Stop pushing people. Stop yelling. Show some respect for the people you hired and claim that you value. Stop worrying about your bonuses and worry about morale that could make it a great place to work.

Terrible leadership, underpaid employees, coworkers are all that get you through.

I worked at Stamats full-time

Pros

-Coworkers willing to go above and beyond to help you.
    -Offers insurance, vision, dental, and 401K.
    -Good for college graduates looking for a "launch pad" into a career.

Cons

-Depending on the department/brand you work in, upper management is terrible, and blatantly lack the qualities of good leadership.
    -Company owners are aware of, and complacent, about the problematic management, but do not demonstrate any concern or initiative to change. The turnover rate underneath one VP in particular is appalling, but there is no plan for action.
    -Poor leadership resulting in low employee morale.
    -Notoriously under compensate employees.
    -Employee appreciation is lacking.

Employees are your most essential resource, and ignoring a high turnover rate created by upper management will be more costly to the company in the long run. Listen to your employees.

Good people

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Stamats as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very enjoyable people. They is a casual dress code and the facilities are well designed with very interesting art work which often brightens your day in the morning.

Cons

Training is non existent and overall organization could be improved.

Work on a training program and overall organization.