Stampin' Up!

Shelli Gardner

Independent Demonstrator for 6 years

Current Employee - Independent Demonstrator
    Current Employee - Independent Demonstrator

I have been working at Stampin' Up! part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of freedom to run my own business how I want. Even though it's direct sales they still give me the freedom to do things my way and decide how much I want to put into it. Whether as a hobby or as a business to make my living from. Demonstrator Support are super friendly and helpful!

Cons

Frequently introduce new product lines then "retire" them quickly. As a Demonstrator I am encouraged to buy new products so I can share them and sell them, but then they go away and I'm often left with things I normally wouldn't purchase.

Rarely seem to seek demonstrator input on new products or ideas. We are on the front lines working with customers and have a different perspective that could be hlepful.

Lately new products have had a lot of issues and are often unable to be purchased right after they are introduced. Again, this makes it difficult for demonstrators having to explain to customers who don't understand why a company would release things that are non-functional.

LOTS of backorders lately, I mean a LOT!

Although Demonstrator Support is really great, you can call two times in a row and sometimes get two different answers which can be frustrating to say the least.

Very rarely give information about upcoming changes or promotions in advance, very frustrating when we get asked questions by our customers and they know more than we do.

Recent changes to the demonstrator plan are concerning in regards to whether or not many people will be able to stay demonstrators.

Like with any direct sales, if you want to make good money you HAVE to have a downline (people you have signed up under you).

Share more information with Demonstrators sooner. Not just announcements that there is an announcement coming. Stick to what you do best and perfect it. Not so many "fish in the sea" so to speak.

Great people and enjoyable work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverton, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverton, UT

I worked at Stampin' Up! full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People
    Benefits
    Engaged in lots of different type of work
    Work-life balance
    Very creative and fun environment

Cons

Leadership is more concerned about how they "feel" vs. data - a little balance never hurt
    A top down organization vs. bottom up
    No career growth
    not a meritocracy

Reward top talent

Corporate team ineffective, lack of true leadership and focus.

Current Employee - IT Professional in Riverton, UT
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Riverton, UT

I have been working at Stampin' Up! full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Most team leaders and managers are supportive of employees and understand the issues.
    - Good employees with extraordinary collective capability.
    - CEO Shelli Gardner really seems genuine and caring.
    - Benefits package is good.
    - Beautiful building in a great city.

Cons

- Lack of effective leadership from the corporate team is debilitating and killing the company.
    - Pay subpar, the best people are leaving or have already left.
    - No accountability, worst in top management.
    - High frequency of irrelevant, unuseful meetings.
    - Old guard/veteran employees very resistant to desperately needed changes.
    - Lots of cliques, probably the main reason for lack of accountability.
    - Voicing your opinion or suggesting changes can get you fired.
    - No bonuses or raises while company wastes time/money at an alarming rate.
    - A different project/focus every week, never finishing.

Decisions from the president and corporate team are more emotional than empirical. They're more than willing to have the "tough conversations", but when it comes time for action little is done. We ousted Dale Filmore for a lot less, so what is it this time? We need a president and corporate team with real direct marketing experience, if they can't do it, it's time for a new president and corporate team.

It's also high time for accountability. Certain individuals, teams and entire departments operate on their own set of rules. We will sit in meetings all day long and agree to try new things and cut back where it makes sense, and the very same day we find the entire marketing team is flying to Orlando for Leadership. It's hard to be told that profitability is alarmingly low and then be told it's our fault. Where is the leadership that we pay our expensive corporate team for? Where is the accountability? Why can't we do what we say we will do in all these meetings?

The shining stars are leaving because Stampin Up won't pay a fair wage or offer a more promising career path. Poor revenue/profitability and compensation is a difficult balance, but a little diplomacy goes a long way. I don't get that feeling from the president and corporate team, just "tough conversations" and empty promises.

It's alright.

I have been working at Stampin' Up! full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of PTO, good home/life balance. A lot of very good and talented people work there. The building is very nice, and the warehouse is very clean.

Cons

It’s an odd place to work. There seems to be a total lack of direction and strategy at top levels. Often subjective and anecdotal out weights empirical evidence. Top management sometimes finds it difficult to look beyond their own confirmation bias. Some managers are amazing others are not. It’s hard to take someone serous when they claim Satan is actively working against the company.

A good company that tries to take care of its employees

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Riverton, UT
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Riverton, UT

I have been working at Stampin' Up! full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and culture are great. Everyone is friendly and management is very accessible. Time off is very generous and they offer a 9 9's schedule to have every other Friday off.

Cons

Salaries are below average, and the industry as a whole is beginning to decline, yet the company is focused on increasing revenue.

I think it is time to focus on reducing costs and cutting out projects and products that don't have a high ROI. Keep the margin high on the core products.

Good place to work

I have been working at Stampin' Up!

Pros

Own boss
    Can make what you want

Cons

Always have to be on your toes for new customers which is hard with a full time job

Lack of management focus and communication with teams, future looks bleak.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverton, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverton, UT

I have been working at Stampin' Up! full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very nice building, there's always plenty of parking. PTO benefits are excellent. Health benefits are good. Management is very flexible and willing to work with those who are dealing with major life events.

Cons

Since I've been at Stampin' Up, priorities have shifted constantly and promising projects have been shelved because someone decided to pull the plug and change directions. Morale in my department seems really low. There's just this negative vibe that's disturbing, and employee turnover is high. One of my biggest complaints is the "open work space environment", which basically means shuffling employees around every couple of months; every new project is a reason to uproot everyone and go to another section of the building. It maximizes noise levels and eliminates personal space. Even the loudest conference meetings are now out in the open - if your job requires mental focus, look elsewhere.

All employees were given a raise at the end of last year, but this has not happened in years. From the management speeches telling us how surprisingly generous it was of the CEO to do this (as well as multiple reminders of how much it hurts an already struggling bottom line), the odds of it happening again any time soon are slim. So expect a flat-lined salary and no bonuses because the business is struggling.

We are currently under a very tight and stressful schedule because deadlines have been imposed without asking responsible teams for a time estimate.

Do not try to correct your course by putting undue pressure on responsible teams. Have enough respect for them to submit requirements and ask for an estimate before making decisions. Reduce turnover by implementing changes that improve workplace quality for the majority instead of smaller, opinionated groups. Offer merit rewards to increase motivation. Pick a course and follow through on it. Continue to improve and innovate your chosen area of focus. Minimum viable product does not mean finished product!

Great company to work for

I worked at Stampin' Up! full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly people, great work life balance, great benefits, flexible work schedule. The building is very nice and the work environment is great.

Cons

The company sales have been flat for a few years and it feels like the corporate team is throwing any idea to the wall to see what sticks. Most of the ideas are half-baked and to slow to get to market. With a bigger company, it's hard to bring forth fresh, innovative ideas because they get watered down by upper management.

Great work environment

Former Employee - Customer Support in Riverton, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Riverton, UT

I worked at Stampin' Up! part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They started people at decent wages and treated everyone like family. The CEO was a very inspiring lady. Not a ton of drama.

Cons

Not a ton of opportunity to move up in the company.

Consider more hiring and training from within

A Passive-Aggressive Pressure Cooker in Sore Need of Real Leadership

I worked at Stampin' Up! full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The flexible schedule was great. PTO builds rapidly. There are a few people who actually care about the quality of their work and they're eager to share what they know.

Cons

• There is is a contempt for empiricism in marketing that seems unlikely to ever be resolved.
    • Too many programs like Crucial Conversations, Arbinger, TRIM, and Agile coaching. They never do anything to improve employee relations or to improve the output of the company. Direct confrontation is so frowned upon that you might not find out for months if you've offended someone. Offering a different opinion in meetings (even with supporting evidence) can get you shunned by the larger group, and sometimes even in trouble.
    • Too much of company policy is determined by group-think and brainstorming.
    • IT changed the tech stack 3-4 times in a single year, causing many projects to be started from scratch or scraped each time. As a result, the company is highly dependent on antiquated IT systems that could have been replaced for less effort and money than any one of those false starts.
    • Management ask their experts for advice and then ignores it. You’ll get to clean up when it fails.
    • People are rarely held accountable for their work (or lack thereof). In sports, a coach can only lose so many games before they're out looking for work. Here, you'll be rewarded with a "stable" position. What's more, it's sort of an open secret that there many do nothing more than show up for their check. Many lack the skills, others the motivation. Either way, they'll get the same bonus as you, no matter how much more work you do.
    • The south entrance feels like segregation. I can't say that this is necessarily on purpose, but you know right away who will enter the warehouse or corporate office door by the color of their skin. This always made me uncomfortable. The warehouse also takes their lunch at a different time, which only seems to further cement this impression.

The director-level leadership has had more than an adequate chance to prove themselves, and have failed repeatedly. Someone needs to get them out of the way of the people who are actually able to do something that works. Additionally, it's time to admit that MLM is not a viable business model, especially in the long-term. It plays on people's ignorance and greed, while ignoring the mathematically inevitable collapse of saturated markets.

Stampin' Up! Photos