Stampin' Up!

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Shelli Gardner

Great direct sales company

Senior Supervisor (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsStampin' Up! has been around for over 25 years and is going strong. The corporate office, in Riverton UT, really cares about all demonstrators, regardless of their career objectives or sales numbers. They provide a great website and resources, as well as an annual convention, leadership conference, and numerous trainingnng opportunities throughout the year. Demonstrator Support (help desk) is amazing!

ConsThere really are no negatives to working with Stampin' Up!

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for all you do!

Aside from upper management, the company is filled with intelligent, creative, & genuine people who love what they do.

Designer (Current Employee) Riverton, UT

ProsCreative, open atmosphere. Fun, talented people to work with. Flexible schedules. Great health benefits.

ConsExecutive team (and many directors) laced with incompetence, no sense of direction or clear strategy for the company and in some cases have no experience/education in their field. Poor compensation for middle management, and lower, positions. Not a lot of opportunity for personal growth. Company continually loses money year over year.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, a complete overhaul of upper management is needed. The importance of having people in these positions who are specifically trained and have extensive experience in their respective fields (not to mention "can play well with others") cannot be stressed enough if this company is to survive. Clear direction and communication is a must. Also, better compensation and instilling more value and trust in employees.

Not enough to stay

Sales (Former Employee) South Jordan, UT

ProsAll in all it was a pretty good place to work. Great work life balance, fun and friendly co workers.

ConsI left because the pay was too low and the work load was too heavy. They need a president with a strong MLM background who is success at running a MLM company.
    It seems that the people who are running this company reicived their postiton because they are all friends, none of them knows anything about running a company and it shows in meetings and in the declining sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the president go. I'm afraid if you don't you will end up letting everyone go, because the company will fail. It's better to let one wealthy person go who is close to retiring, than hundreds of workers who need their job. Run the company with common sense and not emotion. The president will be just fine if you were to let him go.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great environment and experience over the past ten years

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Riverton, UT

ProsGreat environment, great people, great benefits. A great location to work.

ConsThe company's infrastructure and tech are extremely outdated. Website, internal systems, and processes are a mess. Company direction is constantly shifting over the past many years, but with no observable benefit. Although benefits are great, the salary's are much lower than found out in the market for equivalent positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in technology and infrastructure that gives the company options to grow the business

Great co-workers/Amazing focus on employees

ProsEmployees, work life balance, office culture, compensation, benefits package, work environment, products, growth potential, CEO.

ConsTop Leaderships ability to find the new (President/Half of the VP's).

Advice to Senior ManagementContrary to what others are saying, I think leadership has done a good job at keeping us alive during a tough time in the arts and crafts/paper crafting industry when many others are going out of business. We just received a healthy raise and bonus and are doing well in many of our markets. The advice I would give to management is to take bigger calculated risks on finding the new. Forget about small wins and choose a long-term strategy to build strength within our biggest market. I am not sure our current president, or a handful of his vice presidents are qualified to make this happen. They are good at managing the status-quo, but are not change agents. Our CEO has put a little too much trust in the President/VP's and should probably step back in and do some performance managing. That being said this company is far and above a better place to spend your 9-5 than 99% of companies in Utah. I have noticed that a-lot of employees have a hard time leaving, and if they do they either come back or regret it.

Could be a great company if there was competent leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Riverton, UT

ProsGreat work life balance, and the people work hard to try and make the company successful. The office facilities are fantastic.

ConsThere are two main challenges 1) no accountability. People have been promoted to positions they are not qualified for but they maintain their spots because they are not held accountable. 2) The leadership team is a complete failure. Partly its' because none of the leaders have ever ran a business before and never went to business school. The president is a former teacher and tries to lead by teaching rather than leading.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis place is fantastic, please don't let it fail. Please start by replacing your corporate team with competent individuals who have experience in actually running a business.

Great benefits, but......

Trainer (Current Employee) Riverton, UT

ProsFor the most part, the people are great to work with. Everyone is there toget their job done and are willing to help each other out, especially when the deadlines are tight.

ConsDeadlines are always tight. Everyone is always working cross functionally on different projects, but no one is given ownership of a specific product or process. Each department has their own way of doing things, which leads to confusion and dropped deliverables. It feels like no one is driving at times. There is no new hire training. They expect you to know internal operations procedures from day 1, but don't give you a roadmap. Management is quick to pass blame for poor strategy to the tactical team. Too many instances to list. I'm looking for a different job. Job searchers, beware.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to take a serious look into your current management structure. It's not working.

Poor Management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Riverton, UT

ProsOK benefit package, nice folks to work with, nice building, there is so much to do the days fly by quickly

ConsNo chance for advancement, small or no bonuses, small raises which only throw you into a new tax bracket, increased significant work load. SU likes to put people on salary so they can work them to death. If you can do an amazing job in 40 hours a week than you need a bigger work load so you can do an amazing job at 50 or 60 hours a week. Take your work home? Sure there will be MORE projects assigned to you! Just because you were hired and are qualified for one job does not mean that is what you will be doing. You can be so busy you have no idea when you will be finished with your projects and then you are called to work on the pick line, or told you have to go and work at convention, then they still expect your projects to be done. SU is an organizational mess!
    The Management is so unqualified they are pretty consistently flying from the seat of their pants! Meetings are insane. They call meetings for everything and before you know it you are in meetings all day long and you have to take your work home so you can get it started.
    SU says they promote Family life but what the CEO really means is she promotes HER family and their lives. Your family is insignificant. It does not matter how many years you work for the company or all of the amazing things you have done for the company, in a heart beat they have no problem throwing you out the front door with NO warning. The current president is as cold as ice and could care less about honor and loyalty to anyone. He is there for a paycheck just like everyone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO needs to come back to work and find a new President. The energy he has brought to the company is cold and heartless because that is what he is cold and heartless. The CEO needs to realize all of the folks that made the company what it is (or once was) have been dismissed. She needs to realize her loyalties have been in the wrong place. The current management are NOT qualified to run this company.

A place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Riverton, UT

ProsPaid time off, flex schedules

ConsLack of standard operating procedures

Confusing

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Riverton, UT

ProsEvery other Friday off is pretty nice until you take it off and feel guilty.

ConsWhat are we doing? Everything is so disjointed for the past few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure it out.

Worked for Stampin' Up!? Contribute to the Community!