StanCorp Financial Group Reviews

Greg Ness

1. Ok Place to Work

Former Employee - Product and Services Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Product and Services Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at StanCorp Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. My colleagues were well trained professionals. Little drama. Benefits were ok, but health benefits were through an HMO which was sometimes difficult to deal with. Immediate supervisors were great. Upper management was ok, even giving impromptu bonuses to employees.

Cons

Human Resources was out of touch with employee needs. Some egos in the mid-management team which accompany some unprofessional acts. I was once told by a mid-manager that I didn't belong at Stancorp. I did manage to succeed there despite her statement, but it's one I will not soon forget.

Advice to Management

In my 4 years at Stancorp, I moved from one area on the floor to another 5 times, (as did all employees). This is inefficient and expensive when facilities "ergonomic" specialists have to come in and redesign everyone's workspace. Make a plan and stick to it.

Good if in right area, terrible if not

Current Employee - Professional Level in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Professional Level in Portland, OR

I have been working at StanCorp Financial Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you are lucky enough to work for one of the many good managers, and you are paid a market wage, you will have a good experience. There are many outstanding managers and one of the companies core values are "care about people".

Cons

Bad managers don't get fired, they get moved around. You might end up with one & your life will be miserable. There's a big problem with clear objectives (bad managers don't know how to measure performance), and with pay inequity within teams & across the organization.

Advice to Management

Make your managers accountable for upholding company values, and don't be afraid to terminate the ones that drag down a good company. DO SOMETHING with the feedback you receive. Stop acting like the economy is still in a recession & that people are replaceable.

3. Would consider working there again if changes were made at the VP level

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at StanCorp Financial Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive pay to market for shared services roles

Cons

Difficult to push projects to completion, very hierarchial management style.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Happy employees are productive employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed