Standard Bank and Trust Co.

www.standardbanks.com

Standard Bank and Trust Co. Reviews

Updated Jun 22, 2014
Standard Bank and Trust Co. – Hickory Hills – “Standard Bank and Trust Co. Main Office”

Not yet rated.

Lawrence P. Kelley

Banking and finance, both Data capturing and Administration

Document Controller (Former Employee) Pretoria, Gauteng (South Africa)

ProsThere is fun and workshops that educates us, eg Id training, Fraud workshops and the importance of Confidentiality.

ConsI was a temp staff and that comes with no medical benefits and leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe i am suitable for this position

Not a good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits were good (profit sharing, 401k match), most customers are friendly, some of the colleagues are wonderful, no sundays

ConsWorst hourly pay for a bank in the area (was told this by HR upon hiring), no room for advancement, managers don't know how to work teller line, company seems unwilling to change

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the tellers - they are the first people that the customers see and if they aren't happy neither are the customers. Managers need to stop having favorite employees - too many times they are listening to their favorites and not the facts.

Entry-Level Banking Experience Without Much Room to Grow.

Personal Banker (Former Employee)

Pros*Low-key sales atmosphere compared to other retail banking environments.
    *Work with the same customers/get to know your clientele.
    *Attend community events as a brand ambassador.
    *Quiet working hours without much going on.

Cons*Almost no room to advance - as a community bank, this is a much different experience than working at your Bank of Americas, Chases or Citibanks, but there is absolutely no development plan in place for retail employees.
    *Changing work environment has made a lot of employees expendable. During my time there, a lot of the teller positions were being outsourced to temp/staffing agencies.
    *Almost nothing to do during the day - this was a pro for me to be able to get a lot of school work done when no customers were in the bank, but it became so boring after a while that it was almost unbearable.
    *No real support from management - our branch manager was out of the office all of the time, trying to "stir up new commercial business" which left us alone without a manager to try and figure out situations where a customer wanted a fee waived or charges dismissed.
    *Lack of training - the training department is a total joke, so if you want to advance yourself, it forces you to look outside of the company.

They also don't spend any money on marketing, (literally had signs in the branch to sign up for debit card!) so it's extremely difficult to compete with larger banks - I don't know if they have a commissions program available now, but I left after getting promised they would establish one for 2 years and never seeing it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your Personal Bankers a commission and produce opportunities for advancement, otherwise you will continue to lose good people. Also, this company needs a serious reexamination of nepotism standards. The Board of Directors family members kept getting hired in higher positions. In short, your company values are not represented in the hiring process...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work, everyone is friendly and you create long lasting friendships with co-workers!

Teller (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly environment, good company culture, good hours, time off on all major holidays.

ConsThe pay could be better!

Good bank

Loan Officer (Former Employee)

Prossmall bank so that you dont get lost in the shuffle

ConsNot many chances for advancement

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Worked for Standard Bank and Trust Co.? Contribute to the Community!