Standard Chartered Bank

Standard Chartered Bank Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Standard Chartered Bank Group CEO Peter Sands

Peter Sands

Pros
  • Work-life balance does exist, but there are some individuals who slog like slaves(in 46 reviews)

• Nice working environment inside the company(in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance based upon projects(in 19 reviews)

• long working hours, low pay, no recognition at work unless youre an indian(in 15 reviews)

Dont work to this company!!!

Personal Financial Executive (Current Employee) Butterworth (Malaysia)

ProsWorking time flexible, learning new things,

ConsPolitic office, experienced management, bad office culture, no certificate management people , no off date

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do whatever you promise to !! Think in employee shoes!!

Poor management.

Analyst (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsThere's enough leave for the year though.

ConsPoor management for a large bank. No training for staff. Lack of growth.

Mixed Bag of Experiences

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

Pros- Company Benefits are good
    - Pro-European/British bank. Good careers progression if you're one of the boys.

Cons- Great work life balance. Depends on the team though. Some teams work weekends for months without a break.
    - Compensation is good. Sometimes it might price you out of the market

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Here for good really?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone really. It has one of the highest turnover rate in the market and this tells everything.

ConsLong working hours, not enough headcounts, no training at all, no annual dinner whatsoever, very high turnover rate, complicated internal structures (a simple deal may need to go through 10+ depts), Managment continue to dream on beating ANZ and Citi.

Manager

ProsBenefits are reasonable. There is no outstanding pros to mention.

ConsOffice politics are terrible. Very low integrity. Inefficient in producing value added work. Very judgemental peers, resulting to low morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery unfortunate it is not up to a foreign bank standard.

my first job

Senior Relationship Manager (Current Employee) Hyderābād (India)

Proswas satisfied employee 4 years before after management has changed things have become worse

Consdoes not consider loyal employees, they take new employees with higher salaries

A wanna-be bank

Manager (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

Prosfairly good pay and thats about it.

ConsThis wanna-be bank has to attract talent by paying a notch above the others. Whilst its Wholesale bank was bearable until 2010 (Citibankers invasion), its Consumer bank (CB) is an oligarchy run by a handful of larger-than-life indians who protect each others back and show returns at all costs to a geriatric board sitting in the UK. Beware to all, this a venus fly-trap. You are welcome as long as you walk the party line and lick the boots of the indian boys club that run the show. It grew exponentially from 2007 onwards hiring: an army of local singaporean cheap labour to change different colour light-bulbs, a number of highly paid Aussies and undesirable leftovers (with a gift of the gab) from other banks. for senior staff, Ooce you fall for its salaries it is difficult to get out of the trap. I cannot total the number of headhunters who told me that I was lucky to get out after 3 years, otherwise I would be branded SCB - "Here of Foot" and no serious bank would consider me thereafter. Like Incredible India - inside it is everyday a working miracle.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to change your possey of indian oligarches. Chiding them and shifting them around from Dubai to Singapore, Singapore to Taiwan and the then to Seoul does not change the poor culture of the bank. need to chop it right at the top.

Assistant manager

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Pros- structured training
    - do not need to deal with other side issues

Cons- too aggressive
    - too less welfare
    - too low salary

Advice to Senior Managementaim in high performance should give rational payoff!

Contract Staff

Contract (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsSome old staff are kind and some are unfriendly. Contracts can be left secluded at times. A good place to work with good benefits when you are a full timer but not on contracts.

ConsNot offered with full salary instead a pay cut. Initially was told on budget constrain yet are able to hire full-timer on full salary. Get squeeze for every penny.

Advice to Senior ManagementContract staff should be offered with equal salary or market value for fair employment. At least if there is no intention to keep them for long term, it helps them to move on to another job with an even salary. After all that is what SCB boast about Corporate Social Responsibility. It should start from appreciating your short-term staff contribution for long-term reputation.

Horrible !

Human Resources Executive (Former Employee) Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

ProsEqually victimized colleagues to talk to!

ConsDead Senior team, does nothing, but chit-chat, and draw their salaries. Even a suggestion is not taken up and nothing done any day. Very sluggish team specially senior HR Team. There was no desk or docking station when I arrived thrilled to work the first day. For at the whole 4 months, I was without one, and was told to use those desks which were empty due to vacation staff or absent ones. If anyone suddenly turned up, I was asked to move! It was such horrible time there. Another girl who joined newly had no chair to sit, and I watched her stand and work. Terrible scene it was. We then together went around to see for any empty cabins, which we did for the lat week of our contracts.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you dont change yourselves, the bank is crashing for sure! Ask the grey hairs to retire, and recruit young sensible, active staff!

Worked for Standard Chartered Bank? Contribute to the Community!