Standard Life

Add Photos

Standard Life CEO David Nish

David Nish

Very nice place to work

Trainee Actuary (Former Employee)

ProsIts in the middle of the city center so you get to see the Edinburgh castle all the time and have access to the city easily.
    The people in the company are really nice and opportunities are available for improvement in your skills and knowledge

ConsNot a lot I can think of. Except the cafeteria food is quite expensive and there tends to be company "rearranging" which sometimes end with people losing their jobs.

Difficult to move up

Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsGreat perks, good location downtown, free indoor parking offered for employees after 6PM and on weekends, gym inside the building.

ConsVery conservative culture, very difficult to move up, too many layers and very political in their hiring. Internal job offer interviews are very difficult, if you are studying in a domain or even have a degree and want to join that department they will still take someone from outside rather than hire internally. If you are a temporary employee they will not make you permanent and you have absolutely no yearly wage increases. Is becoming less and less flexible with their employees and is going backwards in terms of mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible with your employees.

Good Company to work for who really look after their staff

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsSalaries are pretty good with good bonus scheme.

Offices are pretty good

Internal Communitcation is good.

Staff benefits are good with a good flexible benefits scheme.

ConsChances to move around are sometimes quite limited, and you can get quite pigeon holed with no real way to move up.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very. Good company

Director, Marketing (Former Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsThe people were very down to earth. Very good employer . Excellent benefits and hols.

ConsNot really any negatives I can think off. Just a ver good company overall.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery well run company. Management were excellent.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Didn't know what to expect, was overwhelmed with what a great experience I had.

Actuarial (Former Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsWell structured departments. Excellent management system. Great network of support and cross departmental projects. Extremely friendly colleagues with a positive working dynamic. Very encouraging teams, especially EEV. Highly patient and interested in the development of employees.

ConsDidn't work here long enough to discover any. Too many young people? (I'm 20 and I thought the teams were often quite young, but that is just a personal preference of wanting to work in an equally distributed age environment with people of all age groups)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Good people

Relationship Manager (Current Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsWork independently when performing job and day to day tasks

ConsStrong core values and support of charitable events

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees when employees are surveyed

A company ready for changes

Digital Manager (Current Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsStandard Life offers its employees a chance to make a difference by empowering them and listening to them.
    Although it's a long established institution, it's embracing new technologies with the ambition to serve its customer better.
    The company offers a good benefit package such as a generous contribution towards its employees's pension.

ConsAlthough the company is moving in the right direction there is still too much red tape sometimes. Security around software and hardware could be a bit looser as it can sometimes get in the way.

Difficult to move up if not part of a manager's clique

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsLots of good people who tried to build a camaraderie despite poor management practices.

ConsStrategies and priorities constantly changing so hard to focus efforts. If you have a mediocre manager you suffer and HR provides little support.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeed out the poor middle managers and listen more to your people.

Good chances for development but constant change

Change Manager (Former Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsGreat pension contribution from the company, healthcare is provided as well as a range of other benefits that you can opt in or out of such as childcare vouchers etc. Work-life balance varies greatly depending on the division, department and role you are in.
    Lots of staff are long serving and have a wealth of knowledge about the company, products and industry. The company is small enough that it is easy to find who you need to speak to to get things done.

ConsThe constant rate of change and restructuring is having a significant impact on morale, lots of staff have started to leave as a result. There is no clear direction which is also having an impact and frustrating many.

Analyst

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsVery good company to work for
    Nice people

ConsNo cons, all was very

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good job

Worked for Standard Life? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Standard Life reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Standard Life CEO David Nish. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by Standard Life employees.