Standard Register

Standard Register Reviews in Dayton, OH

Updated November 13, 2014
Updated November 13, 2014
2.0

Standard Register EVP, Acting CEO, and COO Joe Morgan Jr.
Joe Morgan Jr.

Pros
  • Flexibility & Oustide of management, i had the pleasure of working with some great people (in 11 reviews)

• work from home on snowy days, caring employees, interesting work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is getting too big and the upper management is losing touch with those who do the work (in 14 reviews)

• Not a single person in corporate could do the job of anyone in customer service (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

31 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Glory Days Have Past

Current Employee - Executive Account Manager in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Executive Account Manager in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Standard Register full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Recent renovation of several wings within the Dayton headquarters buildings has certainly improved the look and feel of the office work environment.

Cons

It is difficult to drive initiatives and projects to completion because so much corporate knowledge has left the company. More than a year following the acquisition, cultural differences still linger.

Communication is not a hallmark of our organization. Healthy life work balance is nearly impossible to maintain.

Standard Register is a stagnant/declining company but it's made up good people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I worked at Standard Register full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I worked with on a day to day basis were wonderful. We worked hard but had fun too.

Cons

The print business is declining and they know it. They have been trying to break into other markets, but it's a tough job. I went through many layoffs in the years I worked there. Layoffs seemed to be just to meet numbers for the end of the year. I was paid below my pay grade for a period of time.

Downhill

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Standard Register full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Close to home, not stressful, casual work environment

Cons

No 401K match, company is trying to merge and having some growing pains that don't seem to be getting any better.

Finance Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I worked at Standard Register full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home, flexible sick time policy, great people who work very hard, decent benefits

Cons

The company is very top heavy with senior leadership. Way too many VPs, not enough change in upper management to have fresh ideas, and almost all white males. Female and diverse leadership is laughable. They just keep moving the same people around and promoting them in a company that has continually lost money for years. It is frustrating to see hard working, overlooked, & underpaid employees faces every time there is a new VP position created for no good reason for someone who scratches the CEOs back.

This quote may not be totally true but it popped into my head recently when I read about another of Joe's Yes Men getting promoted: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." The company needs drastic changes at the highest level to expect different results. Give Joe his payout and get someone with fresh ideas.

Same old place that is stuck in place.

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Dayton, OH

I worked at Standard Register full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Having once been in HR at Standard, have seen nothing new coming from senior leaders in support of the company or employees. But it is evident that upper management at least stays physically in shape running around trying to find the silver bullet that will make a once proud company successful again.

Cons

Management clueless. No new ideas. Workflow One acquisition continues to be very difficult to integrate---just ask the HR department that is struggling from lack of leadership and capability. Significant churn everywhere. Department heads confounded, perplexed, frutrated and tired. Appears to be Charles Dickens Bleak House all over again.

None, wallow in your own making.

Things seem to be going downhill

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Standard Register full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, reasonable benefits

Cons

No raises or 401K matching, questionable upper management. Acquisition of WorkflowOne seemed to help at first, but a year later, SR seems back on the downhill slide. Too much work for too few people.

Hire more people when you take on new accounts instead of just expecting more and more out of current staff (without giving cost of living raises).

Monumentally disappointing training

Current Employee - Service Studio Representative in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Service Studio Representative in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Standard Register full-time (less than an year)

Pros

40K annual salary, lenient sick day policy, no micro-managing

Cons

Absolutely zero training, and leaders/mgt do not set an example.

Absolutely zero formal training. I specifically addressed the importance of my need to be properly trained, DURING my interview with the person who ended up being my boss. He assured me I'd have all the training needed to do my job to the best of my ability. I worked there for 2+ weeks, before I even got any passwords to any of the 20+ systems that they use. My boss kept assuring my team members and me that "help was on the way." This never happened. I had a 1:1 meeting with my boss to discuss my concerns, and he assured me that I was "doing fine," and stated that it takes about 6-9 months to know what I was doing. None of this was communicated to me during my initial interview. Nothing changed after this meeting, either. After about 40 days of being there, I still could not complete ONE thing on my own, as I had no idea how to do anything. Honestly, I could have probably worked there for at least another month, before anyone realized that I had completed absolutely no work. I told my boss that I was giving 2 weeks notice, but he may as well just let me go, because I'd be asking other team members how to do everything, and taking up all of their time to get through the next 2 weeks. At that point, he stated that he'd be losing a positive asset to the team, and that he would arrange 1:1 training for me. Wasn't that what already supposed to be arranged? When I told him I had been waiting on that for over a month, he changed gears, stating that "the trainers had their own schedules and could not sit with me all day." Overall, highly disappointing experience. I turned down decent money, because I'm not willing to be stressed out all day, not knowing what I'm doing and getting paid for sitting on my duff. I also thought it was highly unethical to find out that I was hired in at a good 4-5K more per year than the rest of my team. I should've listened to all of the reviews I read about this company before I accepted the position. Lesson learned.

How to ruin a 100 year old company in two years

Former Employee - Marketing in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing in Dayton, OH

I worked at Standard Register full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

SR has a great history and many talented people and serves some of the most respected companies in America.

Cons

Leadership is incapable of thinking strategically and executing tactically.

Invert the triangle and truly begin to listen to what your customers are saying.

Look at me leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I worked at Standard Register full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people below all of the Directors, VP's and C levels.

Cons

It is like going back to the 80's when it comes to internal systems. Too many homegrown programs that do not interact well. The company will spend millions on projects that do not have a future, but will not invest in upgrading their ERP to a modern system. It seems like everyone is a Director or above, leaving the work to be done by a few. No on can make a decision without upper management. The CEO is too concerned with telling everyone how great he is and all the perks he gets for being CEO than actually guiding the company.

Stop promoting your golf partners to Director positions and start looking for people who can actually provide a vision and drive you there. You might want to look at your C level, new blood would help the company.

Long hours with a low pay.

Former Employee - Service Studio Representative in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Service Studio Representative in Dayton, OH

I worked at Standard Register full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of good, talented people who have and are still working there. Best place to get some experience and move on.

Cons

Very stressful Customer Service Area. Too much responsibility placed on the shoulders of the employees. Long work hours. Management demands you work from home during your off hours. We were told in one meeting by a supervisor "Take your laptops home, feed your families and then log into your laptops afterwards." In another meeting was told by a VP "Just be thankful that you can feed your family."

Accept the reality of the limitations within your old applications that SR neglected to improve over the years. Stop forcing your employees to fill in the gaps. Each division should work more closely together and not as individual entities. Accept the fact the failures and mistakes are Team failures not individual groups or singular person failures. Support cross-team brainstorming sessions. Be more involved in the day to day activities of your employees, while focusing less on the "pie in the sky" philosophies.