Standard Register

Standard Register Reviews in Dayton, OH

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
1.9

Standard Register EVP, Acting CEO, and COO Joe Morgan Jr.
Joe Morgan Jr.

Pros
  • Flexibility & Oustide of management, i had the pleasure of working with some great people (in 8 reviews)

• Recently moved 1 Customer Service Manager to another department (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a single person in corporate could do the job of anyone in customer service (in 13 reviews)

• Company is getting too big and the upper management is losing touch with those who do the work (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Finance Manager

I worked at Standard Register full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Ability to work from home, flexible sick time policy, great people who work very hard, decent benefits

Cons

The company is very top heavy with senior leadership. Way too many VPs, not enough change in upper management to have fresh ideas, and almost all white males. Female and diverse leadership is laughable. They just keep moving the same people around and promoting them in a company that has continually lost money for years. It is frustrating to see hard working, overlooked, & underpaid employees faces every time there is a new VP position created for no good reason for someone who scratches the CEOs back.

This quote may not be totally true but it popped into my head recently when I read about another of Joe's Yes Men getting promoted: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." The company needs drastic changes at the highest level to expect different results. Give Joe his payout and get someone with fresh ideas.

How to ruin a 100 year old company in two years

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing in Dayton, OH

I worked at Standard Register full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

SR has a great history and many talented people and serves some of the most respected companies in America.

Cons

Leadership is incapable of thinking strategically and executing tactically.

Invert the triangle and truly begin to listen to what your customers are saying.

Look at me leadership

I worked at Standard Register full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people below all of the Directors, VP's and C levels.

Cons

It is like going back to the 80's when it comes to internal systems. Too many homegrown programs that do not interact well. The company will spend millions on projects that do not have a future, but will not invest in upgrading their ERP to a modern system. It seems like everyone is a Director or above, leaving the work to be done by a few. No on can make a decision without upper management. The CEO is too concerned with telling everyone how great he is and all the perks he gets for being CEO than actually guiding the company.

Stop promoting your golf partners to Director positions and start looking for people who can actually provide a vision and drive you there. You might want to look at your C level, new blood would help the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long hours with a low pay.

Former Employee - Service Studio Representative  in  Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Service Studio Representative in Dayton, OH

I worked at Standard Register full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of good, talented people who have and are still working there. Best place to get some experience and move on.

Cons

Very stressful Customer Service Area. Too much responsibility placed on the shoulders of the employees. Long work hours. Management demands you work from home during your off hours. We were told in one meeting by a supervisor "Take your laptops home, feed your families and then log into your laptops afterwards." In another meeting was told by a VP "Just be thankful that you can feed your family."

Accept the reality of the limitations within your old applications that SR neglected to improve over the years. Stop forcing your employees to fill in the gaps. Each division should work more closely together and not as individual entities. Accept the fact the failures and mistakes are Team failures not individual groups or singular person failures. Support cross-team brainstorming sessions. Be more involved in the day to day activities of your employees, while focusing less on the "pie in the sky" philosophies.

Long Hours, Continuous Revolving Door for Employees

I worked at Standard Register full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some very wonderful and talented people who work there.

Cons

The company is constantly downsizing, forcing surviving employees to work more and more hours. They are not honest during the interview process about how many hours are required. If you work because you need a paycheck, I would not suggest a career at SR.

Standard Register

Current Employee - CSS  in  Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - CSS in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Standard Register full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They included a self-serve marketplace for employees.

Cons

Standard register purchased Workflowone; no 401k, pay is really below market for someone with a degree. It seems like two separate companies in one building. They start new employees higher than their old employees.

Listen to your employees instead of telling us future plans that doesn't work.

Horrible

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Standard Register full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Getting a paycheck every two weeks.

Cons

Not enough pay for all that you do, no raises and the company can careless about you as a human.

Listen to your employees and make necessary changes when asked or suggested. Stop being money hungry.

Good Job Experience

Current Employee - Client Care Manager  in  Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Client Care Manager in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Standard Register full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a customer service oriented company, warm with the employes and confident of the entire team.

Cons

Downsizing has been a problem lately and their strive to keep on the market with new solutions, Im confident it iwll make it for another 100 years,

Service Studio Representative

Former Employee - Service Studio Representative  in  Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Service Studio Representative in Dayton, OH

I worked at Standard Register full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was employed there for four years, so I would say the fact that I had job stability for four years was the very few pros. Also, my co-workers where the best kind of people from all walks of life. We made the best of a bad situation.

Cons

Management was very inexperience and very unqualified to hold these positions. Tenure people were threaded as it their obligation to train others without being compensated. The systems were outdated. Processes changed from day to day. Aside from the layoffs, people were resigning at a alarming rate, including top executives.

The department I worked in, majority of the managers in that department had no business in the position. Seek educating yourself on being better leaders. Lack of leadership showed in the work that was being released

Going Down Fast!

I worked at Standard Register full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hmmmmm, hard to think of something here. Maybe promoting people who do not know what they are doing and would otherwise not be promoted in other companies...

Cons

Horrible culture, mismanagement, confusing direction, no processes, layoffs of the dedicated and loyal employees to hire friends with no clue. I have no hope that this company will make it for much longer. They cannot seem to handle even the smallest of clients well.

Fire all top management except Joe to save the company and hire a team to help hire people who know what they are doing and save the company. Not sure if there is time to even do that. A shame since once this company was on the move with smarts and integrity - now they lack both.

Worked for Standard Register? Contribute to the Community!