Standard Register

Standard Register Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014
2.0

Standard Register EVP, Acting CEO, and COO Joe Morgan Jr.
Joe Morgan Jr.

Pros
  • Flexibility & Oustide of management, i had the pleasure of working with some great people (in 11 reviews)

• work from home on snowy days, caring employees, interesting work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is getting too big and the upper management is losing touch with those who do the work (in 14 reviews)

• Not a single person in corporate could do the job of anyone in customer service (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Definitely not just a print company.

I have been working at Standard Register full-time

Pros

Some benefits are average for the region but others really make up for it. Good medical choices, two weeks vacation and 5 days PTO (based on days worked), Stock Purchase Plan, Insurance Discounts, up to 1-5 days of bereavement based on relation, 11 paid holidays, paid jury duty Set my own hours. Weekend work is extremely rare and I'm home with my family every night.

Cons

Low pay, long hours for salaried employees. Rates appear to be set to the Corporate Headquarters standard.

Measure twice, cut once. We're headed in the right direction but we need to be sure that we don't start creating our own obstacles in policies that prevent work from being completed.

Ineffective Management, Blind Eye to Real Problem

I worked at Standard Register full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great employees to work with, but very poor communication from managers. Managers ignore employee concerns and fail to communicate what is going on. A lot of "top heavy" managers that other manager brought in just to help their friends out.

Cons

No salary increases and no communication as to when there will be any increases.

Get rid of upper management that only occupy an office and take that money and give to the employees that do perform and need it.

Monumentally disappointing training

Current Employee - Service Studio Representative in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Service Studio Representative in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Standard Register full-time (less than an year)

Pros

40K annual salary, lenient sick day policy, no micro-managing

Cons

Absolutely zero training, and leaders/mgt do not set an example.

Absolutely zero formal training. I specifically addressed the importance of my need to be properly trained, DURING my interview with the person who ended up being my boss. He assured me I'd have all the training needed to do my job to the best of my ability. I worked there for 2+ weeks, before I even got any passwords to any of the 20+ systems that they use. My boss kept assuring my team members and me that "help was on the way." This never happened. I had a 1:1 meeting with my boss to discuss my concerns, and he assured me that I was "doing fine," and stated that it takes about 6-9 months to know what I was doing. None of this was communicated to me during my initial interview. Nothing changed after this meeting, either. After about 40 days of being there, I still could not complete ONE thing on my own, as I had no idea how to do anything. Honestly, I could have probably worked there for at least another month, before anyone realized that I had completed absolutely no work. I told my boss that I was giving 2 weeks notice, but he may as well just let me go, because I'd be asking other team members how to do everything, and taking up all of their time to get through the next 2 weeks. At that point, he stated that he'd be losing a positive asset to the team, and that he would arrange 1:1 training for me. Wasn't that what already supposed to be arranged? When I told him I had been waiting on that for over a month, he changed gears, stating that "the trainers had their own schedules and could not sit with me all day." Overall, highly disappointing experience. I turned down decent money, because I'm not willing to be stressed out all day, not knowing what I'm doing and getting paid for sitting on my duff. I also thought it was highly unethical to find out that I was hired in at a good 4-5K more per year than the rest of my team. I should've listened to all of the reviews I read about this company before I accepted the position. Lesson learned.

Glory Days Have Past

Current Employee - Executive Account Manager in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Executive Account Manager in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Standard Register full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Recent renovation of several wings within the Dayton headquarters buildings has certainly improved the look and feel of the office work environment.

Cons

It is difficult to drive initiatives and projects to completion because so much corporate knowledge has left the company. More than a year following the acquisition, cultural differences still linger.

Communication is not a hallmark of our organization. Healthy life work balance is nearly impossible to maintain.

Finance Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I worked at Standard Register full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home, flexible sick time policy, great people who work very hard, decent benefits

Cons

The company is very top heavy with senior leadership. Way too many VPs, not enough change in upper management to have fresh ideas, and almost all white males. Female and diverse leadership is laughable. They just keep moving the same people around and promoting them in a company that has continually lost money for years. It is frustrating to see hard working, overlooked, & underpaid employees faces every time there is a new VP position created for no good reason for someone who scratches the CEOs back.

This quote may not be totally true but it popped into my head recently when I read about another of Joe's Yes Men getting promoted: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." The company needs drastic changes at the highest level to expect different results. Give Joe his payout and get someone with fresh ideas.

Same old place that is stuck in place.

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Dayton, OH

I worked at Standard Register full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Having once been in HR at Standard, have seen nothing new coming from senior leaders in support of the company or employees. But it is evident that upper management at least stays physically in shape running around trying to find the silver bullet that will make a once proud company successful again.

Cons

Management clueless. No new ideas. Workflow One acquisition continues to be very difficult to integrate---just ask the HR department that is struggling from lack of leadership and capability. Significant churn everywhere. Department heads confounded, perplexed, frutrated and tired. Appears to be Charles Dickens Bleak House all over again.

None, wallow in your own making.

Things seem to be going downhill

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Standard Register full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, reasonable benefits

Cons

No raises or 401K matching, questionable upper management. Acquisition of WorkflowOne seemed to help at first, but a year later, SR seems back on the downhill slide. Too much work for too few people.

Hire more people when you take on new accounts instead of just expecting more and more out of current staff (without giving cost of living raises).

Company is shrinking, they may knee-jerk reactions to when sales are down. Good people are let go and lazy folks stay

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Standard Register full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work from home on snowy days, caring employees, interesting work

Cons

leadership is not connected with reality, live in fantasy that some small product will save the company

How to ruin a 100 year old company in two years

Former Employee - Marketing in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing in Dayton, OH

I worked at Standard Register full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

SR has a great history and many talented people and serves some of the most respected companies in America.

Cons

Leadership is incapable of thinking strategically and executing tactically.

Invert the triangle and truly begin to listen to what your customers are saying.

I have been working at Standard Register

Pros

Some of the employee's. Are nice.

Cons

When you try to talk to the supervisors about anything they just think you are complaining.
    They seem to care more about the Temps then
    the employee's. We have been complaining about certain people not doing any work and all they do is fool around. It seems like they are afraid to confront them. And if you try to talk to their boss he only sides with them.

Get New Supervisors.