Standard TV and Appliance

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bill Gander

A Family,(Disfunctional and Abusive, but a family)

Sales (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsAll the other employees became friends and family. Everyone looked out for and helped if anyone had a personal problem. Fun environment as long as managers were not there. Could make good money at start but slowly decreased year by year. I worked there for over 10 years.

ConsManagers are browbeaten and crap rolls downhill. By the time I left, everyone was looking over their shoulders. You have about 50% of your time left to sell each day after cleaning your section 3 times, writing your reports, keeping and turning in your figures, researching the competitors ads, restocking floor, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementBACK OFF. The employees will be loyal without you forcing them to be.

loved working there. great family environment

Sales (Former Employee) Portland, OR

Prosfamily owned company. everyone has a word and is able to go to the right people to get things done. owner cares about its employees in an event of an accident.

Consmanagement system is confusing. There are too many managers trying to do the same job. No 401k match.

Run Away

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsYour fellow salespeople, state of the art stores

Consvery bad managers, very bad owner, will browbeat you and write you nup at their discretion. Favorites will get away with lots. Owners is insane and the crap rolls downhill from there. 2 hour sales meeting to browbeat you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to taking care of the customer. That is what your salespeople try to do,,,,,trust them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Desperate and frightened

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSubstantial employee discounts on appliances and electronics. Big company picnic. Other than that, I can't think of any pros to the job. I guess it's better than being unemployed.

ConsVery negative and paranoid work environment fostered by the owner. Everyone is afraid of him. Employees are not trusted and considered disposable. Work/life balance is an alien concept. Poor compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace yourselves!

Hell On Earth.Truly a professional purgatory. Don't know what you did to get there, but pray you move on.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDiscounts on products is about all it has to offer. If you are remodeling you can save alot. The people that work there are actually really quality people. They are the kindest. I think everyone bonds together to get through the tough times - except management.

ConsThe management is run like a fiefdom in the Medieval times. Everyone has Stockholme Syndrome. You can be fired for the slightest reason. HR is a nightmare. They do not support their employees. They serve them up for dinner. It's amazingly unprofessional. It is nothing like the real world at all. It exists in an alternate universe. Management is wholly vindicative and bullies employees every way they can.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people do what they are good at and stop interfering hourly. Stop the badgering and fear tactics.

Good people at the store

ProsGot to watch sports a lot

ConsManagers were not always great

Unclear future

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsCould make a good income, great showroom, excellent store level management.

Conslost its way.... very negative place to work. Business down.

Advice to Senior ManagementReturn to serving the customer

Worked for Standard TV and Appliance? Contribute to the Community!