Standing Dog

Standing Dog Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Mike Wylie

Great Place to Work, Grow

PPC Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Standing Dog full-time for more than a year

Pros-Company keeps it's employees up to date
-Working from Home options
-Learning Environment where questions are appreciated
-Expanding Quickly! Big opportunities
-Management regularly asks you for your feedback, actually takes action on it
-Holds fun events (happy hours, movies, picnics) pretty regularly
-A lot of very intelligent people
-Company sponsored teams are a blast
-Senior management provides mentoring opportunities and helps you actively work towards your personal and professional goals

Cons-Expanding Quickly! Just a few growing pains

Advice to Senior ManagementI think y'all are doing a great job with the fast growth in the company.

Liked my job, disliked the company

I worked at Standing Dog full-time for more than a year

ProsStanding Dog is like being in college. You learn things, make friends and leave. As other reviewers said, it's best to treat your time like a year or two at a specialized school and get your degree in SEO, Paid Search, Analytics and then graduate to another company. Some of the long term employees were very knowledgeable so treat them like professors, kiss butt and you'll be golden. My coworkers and direct supervisor were great even though there were cliques.

The work itself was varied and challenging and they have some high profile clients. The clients stick around longer than 99% of employees so Standing Dog is doing something right. Their reputation is good so working here will look good on your resume. Perks were okay, including working from home once a week and fun company events but most companies of its kind also have those. A lot of hot girls worked there, is that a perk? Hours were not long most of the time and it was a standard 40 hour workweek.

ConsPay is not good. Breakfast every Friday does not make up for paying 20-50% less than the DFW market. The company experienced close to 100% turnover each year from people quitting and getting fired. I've never seen turnover like this outside of a restaurant or call center. This gave long term employees a lot of power as they were the only ones with deep knowledge, which meant a lot of the long time employees had job security even though they were lazy, unprofessional or hard to work with. But most of the people I worked with are gone now.

There was no room for advancement. Mid and senior level positions were filled from outside the company.

The CEO didn't seem like he wanted to be there and often seemed distracted or unhappy, yet he demanded to be involved in the smallest of decisions. He didn't trust any of his employees so we didn't trust him either. The CEO was always changing policies and rules for no reason and Standing Dog had far more paperwork and procedures than most companies of its size, yet it was still disorganized. He'd criticize employees and clients to other employees, which was very unprofessional and hurt morale. He asked employees to write positive reviews on Glassdoor. Look at the 5 star reviews from this fall.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO should take some time off and go get new clients. Increase pay, take a hard look at underperforming employees and work harder to keep good ones.

Flag Review

Standing Dog HR Manager responded to this review

Apr 14, 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback on your experience at Standing Dog, LLC. It is our goal to make everyone’s experience here a positive experience, however we realize that it is ... More

Make the best of it and then move on

I worked at Standing Dog

ProsFor a small agency, there are some awesome tools and perks. If you can take advantage and learn everything possible, you are in a great place to move on after a year or so. There isn't any client diversity, so you have a lot of knowledgable people around you that are able to pass on information.

ConsSenior management is definitely the biggest problem, though I will say they are educated. However, their knowledge is useless, because it is shared in backhanded ways and energy is spent manipulating employees. The majority of choices made here make absolutely no sense, but if you can put your head down and just stick it out, you'll be a better person for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont make your employees write fake reviews on glassdoor to feed your ego. Call a spade a spade.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ex-Employee Review: Smart People. Forward Thinking Company.

SEO Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Standing Dog full-time for less than a year

ProsThe #1 positive comment I have to make about Standing Dog is in regards to their team. For the most part, you have some of the brightest and competent professionals in the industry. Seriously, it's like a dream team of people you want to work with.

A few examples:

Web development: REAL programmers who know how to build/manage sites and the servers that run them. There's one guy you can't help but learn something from every time you talk to him.

Sales: If I had to pick 1 reason why Standing Dog is growing so quickly, I'd say it's because of their business development team. It's run by a guy who knows digital media inside and out.

Account Management: Cool people who protect their producers from clients and don't micro-manage, even when they're under the gun. It also helps that they're willing to do the heavy lifting and offer support when it's called for.

Social: Forget what you think you know about outsourcing your Social Media. Beyond Tweets and Likes, this team is far and above the most cutting edge and knowledgeable group in social communications.

Copy Writing: Again, this department is run by not only one of the best in the industry, but the most pleasant people you will ever work with.

PPC: I'm just going to put it this way: one of their PPC experts used to work for Google. The director runs a tight ship, and everyone in the department knows their stuff.

SEO: Obviously not as awesome now that I'm gone... (I kid! I kid!) Seriously, though - Standing Dog has been able to recruit some of the brightest in organic search marketing. The guy currently directing the department is one of the only people in the world I'd trust to oversee my own SEO.

Support: The unsung heroes. The excel wizards, document builders, and overall glue connecting everyone's work, making the stars shine. This is such a difficult area to get right, and Standing Dog has done it.

Management: One word to describe upper management: Patient. Not pushovers, but the management at Standing Dog are very patient with employee learning curves. It's impressive when you step back and look at it from the outside.

Anita: Yes, Anita gets her own department. You want to sit as close to her as possible and bask in the awesomeness :)

Other than the team, the client work is some of the top names in hospitality, with an increasing load of work from high-visibility players in other markets. Basically, you're not trying to market the dead.

My final "pro" is the balance of Work/Social life. 3 simple letters make up for most of the cons I'm about to list... W-F-H.

ConsI'm going to list some areas that could use improvement from my point of view. Keep in mind that I've never run an agency, so I don't have all the pieces. If you were to ask me why I don't work there any more, here would be my reasons:

Compensation: I can only speak for myself, and maybe 1 or 2 others I've heard complain. It's not horrible, but I think it falls a little short of being commensurate at all levels. To be sure, there are several benefits that come close to making up for it, but nothing beats out cold, hard cash.

Project loads: Unfortunately, when a company is growing at high speeds, some producers end up with massive workloads. I feel like this happened in my role. To be fair, Standing Dog did expand the department in an attempt to alleviate the problem, but as long as they're growing it's obviously going to be a factor.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have much advice. If this review came off like a love letter, it's because I did love working there.

I just got paid to go somewhere else. :-)

Highly professional company with an outstanding work culture environment.

I have been working at Standing Dog full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCommitted and knowledgeable management and co-workers. Everyone seems motivated to do their best and to help others do their best. CEO is very oriented towards helping staff achieve career goals, including offering one-on-one mentoring. Outstanding work culture environment, and a team attitude. Everybody seems to enjoy being involved, having fun at work, while getting an incredible amount of work done.

ConsThe Internet marketing industry is constantly evolving, and changes to the industry landscape can happen overnight. This makes it very difficult to establish processes that would streamline some tasks and lessen workload. That is more a con about the industry than the company. The company is extremely busy and very in demand. Accordingly, thank goodness, CEO is smartly managing his company's growth.

In-the-Know Digital Marketing Agency That is Moving Forward

SEO Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Standing Dog full-time for less than a year

ProsI've worked at Standing Dog for almost 7 months. I have to almost laugh at some of the "negative" reviews posted because honestly, I love this place. I get to come to work every day and not only learn something new from insanely intelligent leadership, but also laugh with and enjoy my co-workers. It doesn't seem like "work" (even though some tasks are going to be a bit mundane - but then again, doesn't every job have those aspects?) when you are with great people and have a CEO and President who are genuinely interested in each individual and how you're progressing in your role and career. They are never "too busy" to meet with and give you that extra bit of confidence that you're doing your job well or be willing to help you improve. Each week we fill out a report that comments on our "wins" for the week along with how we think the morale is around the office and to offer up any suggestions. This is a mandatory report we do every week for our CEO. How cool is that? I don't know of may companies that the CEO reads 50+ reports each week on how things are going in various departments and levels in the company AND takes the time to respond to each one. We get great benefits for a smaller company, breakfast brought in every Friday, surprise afternoons off/leave early days, summer hours, work-from-home days, company sponsored Happy Hours and in-office lunches/birthday parties, etc. The work hard/play hard mentality is definitely here and if you can mesh with that, this place is for you. There is a good portion of the company that has been here 3+ years (the company is only 8 years old) and I'd say about half are within the last year or so. We are growing, moving forward fast and we have great clients.

ConsThe training and mentoring has gotten so much better since I started. That has been a huge help!

Advice to Senior ManagementSince we do reports every week to our CEO/management, there is nothing I can really say here!

Great people and emerging leaders make it a great place to be

I have been working at Standing Dog full-time for less than a year

ProsManagers with a fresh perspective that are eager to learn
Fun atmosphere and culture (perks like working from home and breakfast on Fridays)
Awesome people
Great clients
Supportive teams

ConsSpace struggles (but more room is on the way)
Focus can shift from project to project, leaving some confusion

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the new managers have room to do their jobs, trust your teams to do the hard work and continue to support while making the high-level decisions.

Top level marketing firm who values its employees

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Standing Dog full-time for less than a year

ProsStanding Dog sets the bar for the best marketing company. The benefits are great which explains how the employees are top knotch. Teamwork is stressed and positive attitudes are required.

ConsLets face the facts- IF you don't like computers or sitting at a desk, this might not be the best job for you.. IF you don't like to work hard- This might not be the job for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue raising the bar and Standing Dog will keep recruiting the best!

Fun company growing fast

SEO Director (Current Employee)

ProsFun loving culture
Serious about client care
Cool client portfolio

ConsSlightly heavy workload but not as bad as some agencies.

Micro management and no trust

I worked at Standing Dog full-time

ProsSome good clients and co workers.

ConsThis company has gone downhill fast. Every single person is unhappy and constantly complaining to leave. People have quit on the spot because of the pressure and unnecessary stress created by management.

Every step of the way you will be micro managed and criticized.

Management is very unprofessional. The benefits are decent but you will be underpaid.

You are asked to do ridiculous and redundant tasks that get the team no where.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the employees you hire. Get up to date with technology.

Flag Review

Standing Dog HR Manager responded to this review

Oct 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. We wish everyone could have a positive experience here and although we try, we know it’s not always possible. We certainly have experienced some ... More

Worked for Standing Dog? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Standing Dog reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Standing Dog CEO Mike Wylie. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Standing Dog employees.