Standing Dog Reviews

Reset
3.8
Mike Wylie

1. Great Company

I have been working at Standing Dog full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Standing Dog is the best job I've had. I believe they truly care about the overall growth and culture of the company. The majority of the people around me know what they are talking about and do what they can to help out the new people. My direct managers are great leaders and I really enjoy working with them. I would highly recommend working here. The benefits are a bonus to working for a great company.

Cons

I don't see any cons so far in working here.The only thing is the work is not as creative as other agencies I've worked at.

2. Once in a lifetime opportunity.

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Standing Dog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've never had the pleasure of working for a company that puts its money where its mouth is when it comes to doing the right thing. From the top down, they genuinely care about their employees and clients. The people here are awesome and close like family. They are growing, and offer amazing perks like telecommuting and fun team building events. Breakfast on Fridays and unlimited snacks. Mentor programs and learning opportunities. I'm surrounded by some of the most intellectually stimulating and caring people I've ever met.

Cons

Growth brings growing pains, but nothing a little hard work and motivation can't conquer. If you've worked for an agency before you'll know these pains pail in comparison to other agencies. We're all learning together, but we're committed to making this work for ourselves and each other.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the right thing. We might not can change the world, but we can change the world of all our employees. Getting the opportunity to work for a company that does the right thing no matter who watches is a rare thing. These young future-leaders will spread that integrity everywhere they go.

Fast-Paced and Diverse

Current Employee - SEO Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - SEO Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Standing Dog full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Standing Dog works in an industry that is constantly changing and growing which requires quick pivots on a tactical and strategic level. For anyone who wants to keep growing and learning, Standing Dog's focus on digital strategy for its clients will stay interesting. The team is top-notch but, probably more than most companies, you get out of the team what you put into it. If you're striving to increase your knowledge and experience, everything you need to succeed is waiting for you. But if you don't have a lot of self-motivation, stay far away.

Cons

Like any digital agency, there's a lot of turnover since most of the staff is early in their careers. Clients can be demanding as well if their KPIs aren't being met.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for top talent to replace those who get poached by recruiters.

Great experience so far!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Standing Dog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros at working at Standing Dog is that I have an opportunity to grow in an industry that I truly enjoy. Overall there are some great perks here at Standing Dog, we have summer hours coming up which I will certainly be taking advantage of they also provide a lot of employee outings to help boost morale. The leadership here seems to genuinely have the best interest of the company and its employees at heart. Growth is definitely promoted here and that's something I value. I enjoy coming to work every day and that is extremely important. Standing Dog seemingly values the input of their employees, I was a part of an "all company" meeting the other day that had nothing to really do with my department, but they saw that myself and others might have some good input on the subject at hand.

Cons

Some of the challenges here is turnover, but overall I think this is due to just the industry and not necessarily the company. They are trying their best to get a handle on it and this is to be commended and not condemned.

Advice to Management

Continue to put a focus on communication. Continually keeping the staff informed even of "not so great" news is still good and lets us know that there is a value of input.

I wanted to like working here, but management makes it virtually impossible

I worked at Standing Dog full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros are the things that they throw at you to cover up the cons, like breakfast on Friday and working from home one day a week (even though some work from home more than once a week without real explanation as to why they get to do it, they just do). There are some fantastic people here and you can learn a lot if you pick the right people to align yourself with and learn how to play the game.

Cons

Lack of true leadership Lack of trust Lack of direction Surplus of egocentric behavior Erratic decision-making

Advice to Management

Management sells this idea of what they WANT it to be like working here, so it gives false expectations to people who actually do start working here. You go in expecting one thing and what you get is entirely another. There is a lot of talent but no trust in people to do their jobs, and there is very little communication. There are a lot of overwhelmed people and demanding clients. Expectations are not clear and all departments are lacking in directional leadership. The turnover at the bottom will slow if you would just fix things at the top. Management is looking at it backward and keeps trying to fix the part that's not broken.

May 19, 2014 – HR Manager

We want to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback concerning your time with us here at Standing Dog. As always, we endeavor to provide a positive work environment for our employees. This ... More

7. While there are benefits, they don't outweigh the challenges

I worked at Standing Dog full-time

Pros

Most of the people there are incredibly kind and smart. Work/life balance is good. It is a fairly diverse office in general, although diversity is lacking at the director and executive levels.

Cons

Communications breakdowns are rampant and damaging. Perks and opportunities for learning and team-building vary greatly between departments for no real reason. There is no real leadership and no accountability. The executives switch gears wildly and frequently and provide no real direction, leaving even the brightest people to struggle to meet conflicting, changing expectations. It can be a "cloak and dagger" atmosphere where you don't really know what's happening with things that directly affect you and sometimes even your direct superior doesn't know until it is too late to salvage it. This makes it difficult to advocate for yourself or to seek help from others, and also leads to a lack of trust. The atmosphere is rapidly changing to one of paranoia and micro-managing over time sheets, summer hours (not all they're cracked up to be when you read the fine print), and personal contact with former employees. If you decide to pursue an opportunity here, ask critical questions and pay attention to the answers. If you can get a tour, walk around to make sure you can work in their "call center" environment, and gauge the mood of the office for yourself. If you accept the position, get as much in writing as you can, and if you have a side job, hang on to it for at least six months until you're past the "honeymoon" phase. Turnover is a huge problem here, and the executive team has not displayed an interest in fixing it.

Advice to Management

Your clients seem to have respect for you, but your internal instability will eventually trickle down to those relationships as well. Standardize processes and opportunities to make them equal across departments. Commit to the new ideas you want to implement, and provide ample training so that your employees can successfully execute them. You have some very talented people working for you at all levels of the agency. Most of your employees are doing their very best to please you and the clients that they serve. Take care of them and don't treat them like they're expendable.

May 19, 2014 – HR Manager

We want to thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback on your time here at Standing Dog. We recognize that our industry is constantly changing and that to continually grow in this ... More

Great Place to Work, Grow

Former Employee - PPC Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - PPC Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Standing Dog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Company keeps it's employees up to date -Working from Home options -Learning Environment where questions are appreciated -Expanding Quickly! Big opportunities -Management regularly asks you for your feedback, actually takes action on it -Holds fun events (happy hours, movies, picnics) pretty regularly -A lot of very intelligent people -Company sponsored teams are a blast -Senior management provides mentoring opportunities and helps you actively work towards your personal and professional goals

Cons

-Expanding Quickly! Just a few growing pains

Advice to Management

I think y'all are doing a great job with the fast growth in the company.

Standing Dog - Dallas Digital Marketing Agency - Can't put lipstick on a pig for long

I worked at Standing Dog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big brands. Employees can walk around the office and talk about absolutely nothing. Employees can work form home and scam the time-keeping system. There are not enough characters allowed to continue.

Cons

Stop paying for reviews on glassdoor. The largest client is about to find a better marketing company.

Advice to Management

Stop paying for reviews on glassdoor. It is all coming down on you.

May 12, 2014 – HR Manager

Standing Dog has never and will never pay for a review on Glassdoor. We value the feedback here, but it is simply not true. We met with our team during an annual meeting and emphasized that if a ... More

Liked my job, disliked the company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Standing Dog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Standing Dog is like being in college. You learn things, make friends and leave. As other reviewers said, it's best to treat your time like a year or two at a specialized school and get your degree in SEO, Paid Search, Analytics and then graduate to another company. Some of the long term employees were very knowledgeable so treat them like professors, kiss butt and you'll be golden. My coworkers and direct supervisor were great even though there were cliques. The work itself was varied and challenging and they have some high profile clients. The clients stick around longer than 99% of employees so Standing Dog is doing something right. Their reputation is good so working here will look good on your resume. Perks were okay, including working from home once a week and fun company events but most companies of its kind also have those. A lot of hot girls worked there, is that a perk? Hours were not long most of the time and it was a standard 40 hour workweek.

Cons

Pay is not good. Breakfast every Friday does not make up for paying 20-50% less than the DFW market. The company experienced close to 100% turnover each year from people quitting and getting fired. I've never seen turnover like this outside of a restaurant or call center. This gave long term employees a lot of power as they were the only ones with deep knowledge, which meant a lot of the long time employees had job security even though they were lazy, unprofessional or hard to work with. But most of the people I worked with are gone now. There was no room for advancement. Mid and senior level positions were filled from outside the company. The CEO didn't seem like he wanted to be there and often seemed distracted or unhappy, yet he demanded to be involved in the smallest of decisions. He didn't trust any of his employees so we didn't trust him either. The CEO was always changing policies and rules for no reason and Standing Dog had far more paperwork and procedures than most companies of its size, yet it was still disorganized. He'd criticize employees and clients to other employees, which was very unprofessional and hurt morale. He asked employees to write positive reviews on Glassdoor. Look at the 5 star reviews from this fall.

Advice to Management

The CEO should take some time off and go get new clients. Increase pay, take a hard look at underperforming employees and work harder to keep good ones.

Apr 14, 2014 – HR Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback on your experience at Standing Dog, LLC. It is our goal to make everyone’s experience here a positive experience, however we realize that it is ... More

Make the best of it and then move on

Pros

For a small agency, there are some awesome tools and perks. If you can take advantage and learn everything possible, you are in a great place to move on after a year or so. There isn't any client diversity, so you have a lot of knowledgable people around you that are able to pass on information.

Cons

Senior management is definitely the biggest problem, though I will say they are educated. However, their knowledge is useless, because it is shared in backhanded ways and energy is spent manipulating employees. The majority of choices made here make absolutely no sense, but if you can put your head down and just stick it out, you'll be a better person for it.

Advice to Management

Dont make your employees write fake reviews on glassdoor to feed your ego. Call a spade a spade.

RSS Feed </> Embed