Stanford Health Care

Updated October 17, 2014
3.3

Stanford Health Care President & CEO Amir Dan Rubin
Amir Dan Rubin

Pros
  • Stanford Hospital and Clinics have very good Benefits (in 6 reviews)

• Super dedicated teams and great place to get interdisciplinary care experiences (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Although the pay is good, the cost of living is not (in 6 reviews)

• The nurses that work with direct patient care seem very content, however, beware this department (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Tertiary hospital with specialized care for very sick patients. Not great for routine medical needs.

I have been working at Stanford Health Care part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive on the lower end with other Bay Area hospitals. Health insurance is free to inexpensive if you sign up for the "approved" plan. Dental insurance is free. Amount of PTO is competitive. Currently new hospital is under construction but prior to that, was a very nice campus. Definitely feels like you are making a difference by working here.

Cons

Very obtrusive management. HR is virtually non-existent (websites galore is all you get) and ALWAYS sides with management. Campus is torn up pretty bad right now due the the new hospital construction. Hidden pay scale not shared with employees. Reviews done via HR website - no one-on-one with supervisor. Department "huddles" are mandatory and scrutinized by managers. Very little friendly interaction with management. Lots of propaganda. Feels like the website is a commercial. CEO's picture is everywhere.

You need to get out of the way of the people working at your institution so that they can do their jobs. Stop spending money on innane programs and provide ammenities so your employees are comfortable while they are working their tushies off.

Great place to work.

I have been working at Stanford Health Care full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive environment! Great Place to be an RN!! I was a traveler and landed here! Worked at many hospitals and this in the best.

Cons

There are times the census can be extreme! Patients do wait in the Emergency Room for a long time to get an inpatient bed

I expected better... I was sorely let down.

Current Employee - General Services in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - General Services in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Stanford Health Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, Medical and thats about it... really...

Cons

If you value self respect, don't go to work for SHC. CEO Amir Dan Rubens agenda is to expand SHC (in other words, his) empire. Even at the expense of his employees. Management is a joke, especially in the General Services department. They micro manage EVERYTHING and treat their subordinates like children and attempt's to stand up for yourself is swiftly dealt with as if you are forming an insurrection. Preception is paramount, and the reality is dismissed. The CI Care format is crammed down our throats and it is expected to be followed as scripture. Speaking of that, we are basically walking scripts with the fake Pan Am smile. God forbid we are seen as human by the patients or visitors... or worse the families. The work enviorment is toxic and hostile for lack of better words...

Grow up and quit acting like children bucking for position on the playground

Good place to work with the potential to be a great place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford Health Care full-time

Pros

Meaningful mission and vision; good compensation; many motivated and thoughtful colleagues

Cons

Overall organization is still stuck in an old-school mindset that views the organization as performing much better than it actually does. There are training and skills deficits throughout middle- and upper-management.

Roller-coaster

I have been working at Stanford Health Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great benefits, especially the retirement plan. excellent pay. CEO seems wonderful and down-to-earth. surrounded by intelligent employees. you learn something new every day - wonderful experience being in a teaching hospital

Cons

I rarely receive feedback regarding my work. It might just be my manager, but it becomes frustrating because I do not know if I am not meeting/exceeding expectations. I've asked for feedback, but got a beat-around-the-bush answer. I guess no news is good news.

There are A LOT of academic snobs /condescending people here. Just because you went to an Ivy League school does not mean you are God's gift to mankind. Please be humble, people!

Although the pay is good, the cost of living is not.

Please consider a solid framework for feedback/360 reviews especially during an employee's probation period. this is something most companies have.

Implement C-I-CARE not just for patients/families, but for employee-employee, manager-employee as well and actually hold people accountable to it! Let's just say I feel my colleagues don't CARE about me. I don't understand why the expectation is to be nice/caring to patients and their families but not to each other? Ridiculous.

Registration

Current Employee - Registrar in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Registrar in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford Health Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Friendly co-workers. Exciting job.

Cons

Favoritism.
    Messed up Schedule.
    No Weekends for Newbies.
    Inconsistency.

Be consistent with rules and the way they are enforced.
    Schedule people at regular times, not all over the place where you cannot get used to times.
    If you have a "favorite" dont show it off to everyone.

Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Stanford Health Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Provide free caltrain passes and bus shuttle
    to the campus site which is helpful with the commute costs.

Cons

Limited career growth. Management is not supportive to employees' comments or ideas, they are unable to look beyond their "way" of doing things. Staff is surprisingly not credentialed for a tertiary center. Practice flow of moving patients in and out is very unorganized.

Another opporunity...still here :)

I have been working at Stanford Health Care

Pros

- Received 2nd promotion in June to position that is few steps higher then my last (bigger salary increase).
    - Company is trying to standardize departments, workflows & jobs...thumbs up...I agree.
    - New Hospital (to be completed by 2018) will give us a new facility to look forward to!

Cons

- Upper management can be political.
    - Lots of competition for jobs from both an external and internal prespective.

- Give your dedicated employees the opportunities they deserve.
    - Encourage us to build ourselves so that we may serve you better (education, skills, ect.)

Long term employee who has seen huge changes in the last few years.

I have been working at Stanford Health Care

Pros

Compensation package, generous paid time off (39 days/year), education fund of $2000, 403B matching.

Cons

Commute - it is a tough drive from anywhere in the Bay Area - even the folks who live in Palo Alto have a 30 minute commute.

Worst company I have ever worked

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Stanford Health Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its just the name -Stanford. I didn't experience anything good working here.

Cons

I work in IT department, fully political company. No Diversity in IT department. Absolutely zero encouragement and motivation for me. Managers and co workers are rude and disgusting. There is no way to complain with HR either. Higher management plays games with sincere employees, no equal opportunity for employment.

This company needs re org. Absolutely disgusting staff in IT department. Needs to replace all Tamil speaking staff with educated and decent local employees. NO work life balance.

Stanford Health Care Photos

Colorful Hallways-Depends on the Dynamic in your division.
Stanford University