Stanford Hospital & Clinics

Stanford Hospital & Clinics Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Stanford Hospital & Clinics President & CEO Amir Dan Rubin

Amir Dan Rubin

Pros
  • Good benefits and work like balance(in 6 reviews)

• Great place to work, collaborate with all the excellent people(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Occasional hospital-wide pay freezes, and small cost-of-living increases, especially considering the high(in 4 reviews)

• The nurses that work with direct patient care seem very content, however, beware this department(in 5 reviews)

ok

Clinic Assistant (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

Prosgreat money, benefits, perks, PTO

Consstressful, stressful, stressful, stressful, stressful

Advice to Senior Managementbetter training

Nice place to work

Laboratory Support Analyst (Current Employee) Stanford, CA

ProsWonderful place to learn. Beautiful campus!

ConsParking is very hard and you pay for it!

The worse, incompetence...............

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsStanford Hospital and Clinics have very good Benefits.

ConsPatient care is not first agenda.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more ethical................ Management is totally lacking in competency and value.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pleasant working environment with lots of opportunities for internal advancement.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsJob stability. Decent benefits. Good level of respect and courtesy between employees. Fair job review process with lots of feedback. Opportunity to learn more skills for career advancement.

ConsNot at the cutting edge of technology as far as administration technical support. Decisions are typically made at the very upper levels f management without employee input.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to seek more employee input. Some of the best ideas for innovation or an increase in efficiency often come from the employees doing the work!

They are trying...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Stanford, CA

ProsGreat job, everyone really cares about the patients and tries to put the patient experience first

ConsVery political, trying to do too much (change) at once...great ideas but need to be realistic

Advice to Senior Managementprioritize

Excellent A great learning experiance One of the best places to work

ProsThe care that is provided to our patients, And the loyalty from the staff is great

ConsAt times the hospital can be a bit too big

Advice to Senior ManagementGive thanks on a daily basis to thier staff

Pathetic !!

Senior Clinical Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsOnly thing good is the pay and the name on the resume otherwise None. Full of politics !!

ConsYou will stagnate in terms of skills ! They move very slow, worse than the government.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and stop running the organisation like it's your dynasty. Get out of that bureaucratic, hierarchial structure and pay attention to making the organisation more effective and productive instead of wasting peoples money.

Terrible place to work

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsHighly qualified, educated and competent staff who wish to provide excellent care to the patients.

ConsManagement team not qualified in bringing out the best in their staff. Management very critical and demeaning

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement through fear never works. Goals change constantly to create the illusion there is never failure. No focus - all over the map. Gave only one star because the program demanded a rating. Zero stars were my first choice.

Salary

Prosgood, great employees, work balance

ConsToo many projects running simulteously

Better than most hospitals, still not great

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

ProsGreat pay/benefits, good ratios. Surrounded by smart people, the latest technology and research. You will see every procedure, every disease out there, lots of opportunities to learn. Good amount of resources and staff (except for CNAs, really understaffed in that one area for some reason). High emphasis on education and advancement, seems like every RN I meet is either already a CNS or NP or studying to be one (yet still working as an RN, either because the pay is better or there aren't enough jobs for all these "advanced" nurses being churned out). I believe there will be good opportunities for advancement, because there are TONS of advanced practice and management positions for nurses (seems like there are more "managers" or "specialists" than clinical staff sometimes, and I have no idea what most of them do). I LOVE my boss, but not sure how universal that is.

ConsThe doctors (mostly residents) are terrible to work with as a nurse, they are incredibly condescending and difficult to reach and seem to take little interest in actual patient care. They are either too busy or too unconcerned to answer pages from nurses or take the time to explain things to patients. If you get a response, it's usually,"I'll have to talk to my attending" and you and the patient never hear from them again. As a result, I witness a lot more patient complaints and nurse burnout than at other hospitals. I get the least amount of respect and autonomy as a nurse at Stanford compared to other hospitals where I've worked, and I hear this from many nurses. It is stressful to have to field complaints frequently and not be able to do anything about it (ex: I've never seen so many family members YELLING about waiting so long for the doctor to call back about pain meds, and I've worked in some crappy places). The patients frequently complain that they've seen 20 doctors, everyone says something different, the doctor says they'll be back and they never are, and the patients have no idea what's going on with their care. And why are rounds at 6-8 a.m. but visiting hours don't start until 11, that seems like an almost intentional attempt to exclude family from participating?!

Yes, the nurses can be entitled and spoiled sometimes, especially the long-time Stanford nurses or new grads. Travelers and recent hires from other hospitals know how lucky they are. The union seems greedy, petty, and entitled- they embody and perpetuate the negative stereotype that doctors and other staff have about nurses.

Advice to Senior ManagementI like the major focus at Stanford on quality improvement, but unfortunately, that usually creates more hassles as management tries to "fix" things and more complexity is added (more checklists for nurses to complete, more charts and processes to memorize, more meetings) where simplicity would be more effective. This is a problem common to all hospitals, but I expected Stanford to be better at it, given that they have so many people working on it. Isn't the point of Kaizen and 5S to make things more simple? I don't need another color-coded chart telling me how to do my job, I need another CNA and better stocking so I don't have to spend an hour looking for supplies every day.

If you want better patient satisfaction scores and patient throughput, the doctors need to be forced to put patient care first by spending more than 1 minute in the patient's room, communicating effectively with the patients and nurses (responding to pages in a timely manner, respecting the thoughts of the nurses who spend 12 straight hours with the patient to your 1 minute). If the residents are constantly too busy to answer pages, something needs to change. We are a hospital, not just a learning institution, patient care keeps the lights on. And maybe if the doctors could communicate with the patients a bit better about their hospital course and discharge, we wouldn't always have problems with overcrowding.

Worked for Stanford Hospital & Clinics? Contribute to the Community!