Stanford Hospital & Clinics

Stanford Hospital & Clinics Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Stanford Hospital & Clinics President & CEO Amir Dan Rubin

Amir Dan Rubin

Pros
  • Good benefits and work like balance(in 6 reviews)

• Great place to work, collaborate with all the excellent people(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Occasional hospital-wide pay freezes, and small cost-of-living increases, especially considering the high(in 4 reviews)

• The nurses that work with direct patient care seem very content, however, beware this department(in 5 reviews)

Good place to work with the potential to be a great place

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Stanford, CA

ProsMeaningful mission and vision; good compensation; many motivated and thoughtful colleagues

ConsOverall organization is still stuck in an old-school mindset that views the organization as performing much better than it actually does. There are training and skills deficits throughout middle- and upper-management.

Nurses, Avoid the Quality Department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeautiful hospital setting, great benefits, working with world class physicians.

ConsHighly political, massive overturn in the quality department, with no change in the established leadership. The nurses that work with direct patient care seem very content, however, beware this department.

Another opporunity...still here :)

Pros- Received 2nd promotion in June to position that is few steps higher then my last (bigger salary increase).
    - Company is trying to standardize departments, workflows & jobs...thumbs up...I agree.
    - New Hospital (to be completed by 2018) will give us a new facility to look forward to!

Cons- Upper management can be political.
    - Lots of competition for jobs from both an external and internal prespective.

Advice to Senior Management- Give your dedicated employees the opportunities they deserve.
    - Encourage us to build ourselves so that we may serve you better (education, skills, ect.)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long term employee who has seen huge changes in the last few years.

ProsCompensation package, generous paid time off (39 days/year), education fund of $2000, 403B matching.

ConsCommute - it is a tough drive from anywhere in the Bay Area - even the folks who live in Palo Alto have a 30 minute commute.

No Valid 360 Review

Finance (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsDecent benfit package, more PTO days than many organization

ConsVery hierarchical. No valid venues to provide feedback on a bad manager

Mixed review

Human Resources - Compensation (Former Employee) Stanford, CA

ProsThe company is employee oriented. They have an excellent employee insentive program.

ConsSomewhat rigid in how they approach the work environment. They call it the Stanford way.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more aware of what all employees contribute.

Very challenging and rewarding hospital to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSupportive leadership with wonderful diverse atmosphere of extremely intelligent people - some of the smartest people in the world work at Stanford Hospital. Great salary and benefits!

ConsCost of living is the worst! Additionally, depending on what office you work out of, traffic is a nightmare given the booming economy of the area (Google, HP, Facebook, Apple, etc.) and the fact that Stanford is building a new hospital to replace the original.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe HR department lacks any leadership and is rudderless. The HR staff are terrific and do the best with what they have but since about 2012 all benefits are outsourced, which means no one can help you and due to the complexity of the benefits the vendors are useless.

Exhilarating

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Stanford, CA

ProsIt is exciting, interesting and my co-workers are for the most part some of the kindest people on the planet.

ConsMany demands from all sides - management, hospital and patients. However our patients are, despite their illnesses, often patient and tolerant.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need leadership as well as management. I realize there are many good managers in the world who keep things running smoothly and a chronic lack of leadership. However we need leaders with a vision for what could be and workable ways to get there as a team. We need strong leadership to manage the rare, but morale lowering goof-off, opportunist and cynic. Those particular people need to take a long walk elsewhere.

Experienced nurse

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsI love my coworkers. I also love the amazing experience of working in such a respected teaching hospital as well as the knowledge gained. I feel like an active and important member of the treatment team.

ConsManagement. It is poor. I have had a number of patient care managers in my unit in just a handful of years and each seems worse than the one before. They have very poor communication skills and even worse leadership skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo an analysis of management in the hospital and clean house. Be honest, be fair. Hire ONLY experienced managers with a proven record and not just letters behind their names. Stanford obviously has the ability to be amazing but I really do think that unit managers are one major reason why the hospital is not reaching its goals.

I like this place

ProsThe company is very famous and collaborate with different teams and that's good for a beginner.

ConsA lot of new stuff in the hospital and such a big team. Communictaion is very important.

Worked for Stanford Hospital & Clinics? Contribute to the Community!