Stanford Hospital & Clinics

Updated September 20, 2014
3.2

Stanford Hospital & Clinics President & CEO Amir Dan Rubin
Amir Dan Rubin

Pros
  • Good benefits and work like balance (in 6 reviews)

• Great place to work, collaborate with all the excellent people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Occasional hospital-wide pay freezes, and small cost-of-living increases, especially considering the high (in 4 reviews)

• The nurses that work with direct patient care seem very content, however, beware this department (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work !

Current Employee - Unit Support Assistant  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Unit Support Assistant in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Stanford Hospital & Clinics part-time for more than a year

Pros

Stanford and Stanford's Children's hospital are both great places to work. After working in a county facility for many years it was quite a treat to work there. Your opinions and input are always requested no matter your job title. The campus is really beautiful and the weather amazing.

Cons

Stanford is a very intense place to work as they strive for excellence in every area.

Keep seeking opinions from your staff to see what is really happening within your units.

very good benefits

I have been working at Stanford Hospital & Clinics full-time

Pros

sense of purpose, interesting work, exciting time because of new hospital being built

Cons

very heriarchial, not good management, not effective management training, no mentoring

Tertiary hospital with specialized care for very sick patients. Not great for routine medical needs.

I have been working at Stanford Hospital & Clinics part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay is competitive on the lower end with other Bay Area hospitals. Health insurance is free to inexpensive if you sign up for the "approved" plan. Dental insurance is free. Amount of PTO is competitive. Currently new hospital is under construction but prior to that, was a very nice campus. Definitely feels like you are making a difference by working here.

Cons

Very obtrusive management. HR is virtually non-existent (websites galore is all you get) and ALWAYS sides with management. Campus is torn up pretty bad right now due the the new hospital construction. Hidden pay scale not shared with employees. Reviews done via HR website - no one-on-one with supervisor. Department "huddles" are mandatory and scrutinized by managers. Very little friendly interaction with management. Lots of propaganda. Feels like the website is a commercial. CEO's picture is everywhere.

You need to get out of the way of the people working at your institution so that they can do their jobs. Stop spending money on innane programs and provide ammenities so your employees are comfortable while they are working their tushies off.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stressful at times, but worth it because of higher than average pay.

Current Employee - Food Service Worker  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Stanford Hospital & Clinics full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Pay. Very good because I don't have a degree yet.
    -Benefits.
    -Lots of career opportunities. Able to expand to any venue I would like to transfer to in the future.
    -Higher than average wages compared to similar jobs.
    -Easy work for the pay.
    -Schedule is posted for 3-4 weeks in advance.
    -Different positions to work on every day.

Cons

-Expected to finish tasks in a small time window.
    -Pay for Parking. Have to pay for monthly parking permits.
    -6 Week rotation for weekends off.
    -Poor Management
    -Some lazy Co-Workers
    -Old system for requesting time-off / vacations

-Have more extra people work to complete tasks in a timely manner.
    -Micromanaging needs to stop.
    -Listen to your co-workers and offer good feedback.

I expected better... I was sorely let down.

Current Employee - General Services  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - General Services in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Stanford Hospital & Clinics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay, Medical and thats about it... really...

Cons

If you value self respect, don't go to work for SHC. CEO Amir Dan Rubens agenda is to expand SHC (in other words, his) empire. Even at the expense of his employees. Management is a joke, especially in the General Services department. They micro manage EVERYTHING and treat their subordinates like children and attempt's to stand up for yourself is swiftly dealt with as if you are forming an insurrection. Preception is paramount, and the reality is dismissed. The CI Care format is crammed down our throats and it is expected to be followed as scripture. Speaking of that, we are basically walking scripts with the fake Pan Am smile. God forbid we are seen as human by the patients or visitors... or worse the families. The work enviorment is toxic and hostile for lack of better words...

Grow up and quit acting like children bucking for position on the playground

Informatics Analyst

Current Employee - Informatics Analyst  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Informatics Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Stanford Hospital & Clinics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The pay and benefits. The gardens are pretty. They have shuttles to get you to caltrain and all around campus

Cons

Management is very demeaning and rude, which seems totally acceptable by upper management. They are terrible at offering any type of flexibility. There are many bullies and harassment in this department. You cant stand up for yourself because they will make you out to look like an idiot
    Management does not practice what they preach. Unfortunately this is not the only dept in stanford that is run this way. I know of people who have PTSD from working at this hospital and being treated like dirt

Treat all of your employees with respect. Stop with the favoritism. Say hello to your employees and when you do say hello, dont make it seem like you are hating every syllable.

Best place I've worked

Current Employee - Staff Nurse (RN), Intensive Care Unit  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse (RN), Intensive Care Unit in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Stanford Hospital & Clinics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Teamwork, support, pay, education for nurses,

Cons

Won't let u go part time

Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Provide free caltrain passes and bus shuttle
    to the campus site which is helpful with the commute costs.

Cons

Limited career growth. Management is not supportive to employees' comments or ideas, they are unable to look beyond their "way" of doing things. Staff is surprisingly not credentialed for a tertiary center. Practice flow of moving patients in and out is very unorganized.

Great place to work.

I have been working at Stanford Hospital & Clinics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Supportive environment! Great Place to be an RN!! I was a traveler and landed here! Worked at many hospitals and this in the best.

Cons

There are times the census can be extreme! Patients do wait in the Emergency Room for a long time to get an inpatient bed

Roller-coaster

Pros

great benefits, especially the retirement plan. excellent pay. CEO seems wonderful and down-to-earth. surrounded by intelligent employees. you learn something new every day - wonderful experience being in a teaching hospital

Cons

I rarely receive feedback regarding my work. It might just be my manager, but it becomes frustrating because I do not know if I am not meeting/exceeding expectations. I've asked for feedback, but got a beat-around-the-bush answer. I guess no news is good news.

There are A LOT of academic snobs /condescending people here. Just because you went to an Ivy League school does not mean you are God's gift to mankind. Please be humble, people!

Although the pay is good, the cost of living is not.

Please consider a solid framework for feedback/360 reviews especially during an employee's probation period. this is something most companies have.

Implement C-I-CARE not just for patients/families, but for employee-employee, manager-employee as well and actually hold people accountable to it! Let's just say I feel my colleagues don't CARE about me. I don't understand why the expectation is to be nice/caring to patients and their families but not to each other? Ridiculous.

Worked for Stanford Hospital & Clinics? Contribute to the Community!