Stanford Hospital & Clinics

Updated August 21, 2014

3.2

Stanford Hospital & Clinics President & CEO Amir Dan Rubin
Amir Dan Rubin

Pros
  • Good benefits and work like balance (in 6 reviews)

• Great place to work, collaborate with all the excellent people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Occasional hospital-wide pay freezes, and small cost-of-living increases, especially considering the high (in 4 reviews)

• The nurses that work with direct patient care seem very content, however, beware this department (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

They are trying...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford Hospital & Clinics full-time

Pros

Great job, everyone really cares about the patients and tries to put the patient experience first

Cons

Very political, trying to do too much (change) at once...great ideas but need to be realistic

prioritize

Pathetic !!

Former Employee - Senior Clinical Systems Analyst  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Clinical Systems Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Stanford Hospital & Clinics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Only thing good is the pay and the name on the resume otherwise None. Full of politics !!

Cons

You will stagnate in terms of skills ! They move very slow, worse than the government.

Open your eyes and stop running the organisation like it's your dynasty. Get out of that bureaucratic, hierarchial structure and pay attention to making the organisation more effective and productive instead of wasting peoples money.

Terrible place to work

Current Employee - Project Coordinator  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Stanford Hospital & Clinics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Highly qualified, educated and competent staff who wish to provide excellent care to the patients.

Cons

Management team not qualified in bringing out the best in their staff. Management very critical and demeaning

Management through fear never works. Goals change constantly to create the illusion there is never failure. No focus - all over the map. Gave only one star because the program demanded a rating. Zero stars were my first choice.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Salary

I have been working at Stanford Hospital & Clinics full-time

Pros

good, great employees, work balance

Cons

Too many projects running simulteously

The absolute best place to work!

Current Employee - Patient Care Manager  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Patient Care Manager in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Teaching hospital, great salary and benefits.

Cons

There are really no negatives to working at Stanford.

Keep up the great work!

Memorable experience

I have been working at Stanford Hospital & Clinics

Pros

Great place to work, collaborate with all the excellent people

Cons

Hope the constructions will finish soon

Better than most hospitals, still not great

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Stanford Hospital & Clinics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay/benefits, good ratios. Surrounded by smart people, the latest technology and research. You will see every procedure, every disease out there, lots of opportunities to learn. Good amount of resources and staff (except for CNAs, really understaffed in that one area for some reason). High emphasis on education and advancement, seems like every RN I meet is either already a CNS or NP or studying to be one (yet still working as an RN, either because the pay is better or there aren't enough jobs for all these "advanced" nurses being churned out). I believe there will be good opportunities for advancement, because there are TONS of advanced practice and management positions for nurses (seems like there are more "managers" or "specialists" than clinical staff sometimes, and I have no idea what most of them do). I LOVE my boss, but not sure how universal that is.

Cons

The doctors (mostly residents) are terrible to work with as a nurse, they are incredibly condescending and difficult to reach and seem to take little interest in actual patient care. They are either too busy or too unconcerned to answer pages from nurses or take the time to explain things to patients. If you get a response, it's usually,"I'll have to talk to my attending" and you and the patient never hear from them again. As a result, I witness a lot more patient complaints and nurse burnout than at other hospitals. I get the least amount of respect and autonomy as a nurse at Stanford compared to other hospitals where I've worked, and I hear this from many nurses. It is stressful to have to field complaints frequently and not be able to do anything about it (ex: I've never seen so many family members YELLING about waiting so long for the doctor to call back about pain meds, and I've worked in some crappy places). The patients frequently complain that they've seen 20 doctors, everyone says something different, the doctor says they'll be back and they never are, and the patients have no idea what's going on with their care. And why are rounds at 6-8 a.m. but visiting hours don't start until 11, that seems like an almost intentional attempt to exclude family from participating?!

Yes, the nurses can be entitled and spoiled sometimes, especially the long-time Stanford nurses or new grads. Travelers and recent hires from other hospitals know how lucky they are. The union seems greedy, petty, and entitled- they embody and perpetuate the negative stereotype that doctors and other staff have about nurses.

I like the major focus at Stanford on quality improvement, but unfortunately, that usually creates more hassles as management tries to "fix" things and more complexity is added (more checklists for nurses to complete, more charts and processes to memorize, more meetings) where simplicity would be more effective. This is a problem common to all hospitals, but I expected Stanford to be better at it, given that they have so many people working on it. Isn't the point of Kaizen and 5S to make things more simple? I don't need another color-coded chart telling me how to do my job, I need another CNA and better stocking so I don't have to spend an hour looking for supplies every day.

If you want better patient satisfaction scores and patient throughput, the doctors need to be forced to put patient care first by spending more than 1 minute in the patient's room, communicating effectively with the patients and nurses (responding to pages in a timely manner, respecting the thoughts of the nurses who spend 12 straight hours with the patient to your 1 minute). If the residents are constantly too busy to answer pages, something needs to change. We are a hospital, not just a learning institution, patient care keeps the lights on. And maybe if the doctors could communicate with the patients a bit better about their hospital course and discharge, we wouldn't always have problems with overcrowding.

Challenging

Current Employee - Laboratory Support Analyst  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Laboratory Support Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Great process and adherence to procedural methods. Good leadership. Wonderful, dedicated people to work with. Opportunities to learn are available as is a chance to work on the latest Epic releases. All in all, a very solid and reliable laboratory systems team.

Cons

Very intense. Some of the leads are so aggressive they scare people away. Very, very high volume of laboratory orders and results. Downtime causes the worst to come out in some of the leadership. Not quite panic, just overly reactive. Very much micro management at its worst in some departments. Also, some departments always want to blame others for their own lack of initiative.

Life, and health care is about people. Don't ever let that fact slip away from what you do. If your employees aren't happy - they will be less productive. If they are stressed out, or stretched too thin, they will make mistakes. It is inevitable.

Lab manager

Current Employee - Lab Manager  in  Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Lab Manager in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford Hospital & Clinics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

plenty of resources, good opportunity to know colleagues

Cons

less salary and working opportunities are limited to government funding like NIH

none

It's a great add to my resume.

I worked at Stanford Hospital & Clinics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation is competitive; if you like 'so busy you can't dive deeper into the problem to resolve the underlying issues but have only enough time to address the symptoms', then SHC is for you.

Cons

Medical benefits package has tanked; no room for advancement; change happens...s l o w l y. The culture seems to be changing, not for the better. Management, as a whole, is not great - poorly/not qualified people in leadership roles.

Less nepotism and more thought about placing qualified people in leadership positions.

Worked for Stanford Hospital & Clinics? Contribute to the Community!