Stanford University

Stanford University Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Stanford University President John L. Hennessy

John L. Hennessy

Pros:
  • "For a physics department of this caliber, there's great work/life balance"
    in 32 reviews
  • "Great Benefits; beautiful campus; lot of training"
    in 53 reviews
Cons:
  • "Cost of living in Silicon Valley is really high, so the pay is not actually very much"
    in 18 reviews
  • "The work life balance at Stanford tends to be pretty poor for graduate students, though this is the case at most universities"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

OK salary but really high cost of living

Postdoctoral Scholar (Current Employee)
    Stanford, CA

ProsStanford looks nice on the CV, it probably helped me land an assistant professor job in a really good research university. People are very smart of course, which helps tremendously to develop a research program for the future.

ConsThe number one problem is the inadequate salary regarding cost of living in the heart of the bay area.
    A close second is the lack of recognition of post-docs: the salary is only a part of it. Post-docs are considered students, meaning they don't get staff benefits. But they don't get student benefits either. Rule of thumb is, if there is a perk out there for some category of the Stanford community, post-docs won't get it.

This is why you cannot retaining good workers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Compensation, yearly raises plus bonuses

ConsHas not hired Permanent employees since 2000

Not what I expected.

Deputy Director (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsVery smart people and interesting work
    Beautiful surroundings (exterior) and high tech work spaces (for the most part although some are quite shoddy)
    Good benefits (especially health and retirement)

ConsHorrible management (most faculty members have no idea how to manage)
    Very poor responses to HR issues
    Staff are seen as expendable and always come after faculty and students
    Low salaries with little chance of advancement
    No real interest in professional development of staff

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good place to work, somewhat heavy on the administrative bureaucracy.

Stanford, CA

ProsHighly intelligent workforce doing interesting things. Fair pay overall, attractive benefits. Pleasant work environment. It employs a vast array of professionals in numerous categories and therefore makes for a good place to move within, laterally or up.

ConsA tendency to memorialize everything in formal policy. I'm not sure it's any worse than any other university, but it sometimes seems to hamper internal innovation and tends to discourage an entrepreneurial attitude amongst the workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening with an open mind. Beware of death-by-administration.

Stanford is incredible

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)
    Stanford, CA

ProsThe community, facilities and opportunities at Stanford are second to none. Yes, I am only a teaching assistant in the mechanical engineering department, but I have 0 complaints about anything and feel extremely fortunate to hold such a position.

ConsI cannot think of many, but if I had to name a few, it would just be the bureaucratic balogna that happens with such a large institution.

if you know what you want to do, do it here!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStanford takes great care of its staff. Fun activities and encouragement to continue learning, you definitely feel like you're a part of the community. Great fringe benefits, including tuition reimbursement and wellness stipends. Can't beat the free Caltrain pass. Most people are very friendly.

ConsYour experience will depend a lot on where you end up working on campus. Some places are amazing, some are stressful. Sometimes folks have been here so long that they have become burnt out.

Executive Assistant, Office Manager

ProsGood place to work, good networking, great benefits

ConsSome areas/schools are friendly than others. Some encourage professional growth, some don't. The university over all does encourage all employees to grow professionally and to take professional training that is offered on campus.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe better about promoting within and raising salaries of long time faithful employees before hiring new employees

excellent learning institution

Graduate Administrator (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsYou have the opportunity to take classes which would enhance your skills at no charge to the employee.

ConsThe University makes it a point through several free programs to all employees on fitness and health. They sponsor a free Health Fair every year as well with new information on healthy ways of living.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should advocate employees to move around in other positions within the department after three years in one position.

Stanford is a power-house environment that needs to work on building a culture of social responsibility.

Research Scientist (Current Employee)
    Stanford, CA

ProsColleagues are almost all brilliant and driven, which elevates the work product and experience. Funding is strong. Students are great. Infrastructure is amazing. Environment is stunningly beautiful. Climate is perfect all year round. Salaries are competitive.

ConsColleagues could learn more humility, compassion, and social responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile it is nice to be in the gleaming tower of privilege, please learn to be a little less self-centered and to think about those less fortunate.

comfortable

Administrative Associate (Current Employee)
    Stanford, CA

Prosgood benefits, great environment with lots of opportunities and intelligent people.

Consadministration is slow to move. Lots of regulation and cherry-picking of enforcement.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more involved in making some people productive. Be consistent in enforcement and helping people grow skills with jobs.

Worked for Stanford University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stanford University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Stanford University CEO John L. Hennessy. All 652 reviews posted anonymously by Stanford University employees.