Stanford University

Stanford University Reviews in Palo Alto, CA

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Stanford University President John L. Hennessy

John L. Hennessy

Pros
  • For a physics department of this caliber, there's great work/life balance(in 33 reviews)

• Great Benefits; beautiful campus; lot of training(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • The number one problem is the inadequate salary regarding cost of living in the heart of the bay area(in 20 reviews)

• The work life balance at Stanford tends to be pretty poor for graduate students, though this is the case at most universities(in 10 reviews)

108 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A fantastic place to study.

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsTons of resources available to students, both for research and personal development. This is *the* place to be to study at any education level. This is the opportunity to study under the best in their field, no matter what field they're in. There is plenty to challenge anyone.

ConsGraduate school anywhere can be stressful, but this is more dependent upon the research group you work with. Salary for graduate students is of course low, but everyone knows that going in. I never thought so many people could live in such a wonderful place and spend all their time in labs not enjoying the outdoors.

Great environment to push yourself.

Graduate Student (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsThe perfect place to pursue cutting edge research and entrepreneurship.

ConsAll-consuming, requires a lot of time commitment. Everyone is working long hours.

beautiful place to work

Postdoctoral Scholar (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Prosit is a good place to work

Consthe salary is very low

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

student ambassador for Stanford Dining.

Stanford Dining Ambassador (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Prossome creative input, some flexibility for new programming, but ultimately constrained by

Conseverything always has to be approved and re-approved by executives and the marketing department, even if you have the key expertise over an area. It's a little ridiculous. Sometimes you might feel that you are not trusted to do your job thoroughly, and that you would somehow try to soil the brand if given the opportunity.

Meetings with management are extremely difficult to land, and you might get a cold email from a secretary telling you there is no time for an executive to discuss a certain matter with you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive students the time to talk when they need to talk. Meaning gets lost in email threads. Hear us out over the phone or schedule in-person meetings.

Department Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGreat benefits and perks for staff.

ConsStaff are treated as second class citizens. Management do not support staff. Faculty are favored.

Stay away from the School of Medicine

Simulation Technology Specialist (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsHealth benefits, name recognition, money for equipment, paid holidays. You will work with brilliant and dedicated physicians. People come from around the world to check out programs at Stanford. Employees working in areas outside the school of medicine seem much happier than those inside it.

ConsSociopathic managers, poor salary, no advancement, poor work-life balance. Many managers answer to essentially no one. Micromanagement and nasty emails are rampant. Working harder or doing better work does not result in better treatment. Turnover in my department was over 50% during my time there.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to high turnover rates in specific departments, treat staff with the same respect as faculty, improve mechanisms for identifying and addressing abusive managers

Postdoctoral research fellow

Postdoctoral Scholar (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsExcellent resources, brilliant academic scientists, exciting research. numerous opportunities for postdocs to grow and explore various career paths (academia or industry). beautiful campus and flexible hours.

Consquality of lab/research is very dependent on the professor. my personal experience: professor mostly absent and poor unity in group. resources can be a bit scattered on campus and somewhat decentralized. parking on campus is pricey and the postdoc salary makes it difficult to make ends meet in the bay area.

Advice to Senior Managementmore resources for career building

It allowed me to meet with many walks of life and to experience Job Growth/fulfillment while I was there.

Medical School Media Services (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsMany Growth Opportunities and helpful people

ConsLimited work flexibility. It didn't give me the ability to adjust my hours do to time restraints on activities.

excellent learning institution

Graduate Administrator (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsYou have the opportunity to take classes which would enhance your skills at no charge to the employee.

ConsThe University makes it a point through several free programs to all employees on fitness and health. They sponsor a free Health Fair every year as well with new information on healthy ways of living.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should advocate employees to move around in other positions within the department after three years in one position.

Stanford University is a great place to work!

Registrar (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsVery collegial
    You work hard and you have a life

ConsFinding housing near by might be a challenge

Worked for Stanford University? Contribute to the Community!