Stanford University

Stanford University Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Stanford University President John L. Hennessy

John L. Hennessy

Pros
  • For a physics department of this caliber, there's great work/life balance(in 34 reviews)

• Great Benefits; beautiful campus; lot of training(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • The number one problem is the inadequate salary regarding cost of living in the heart of the bay area(in 20 reviews)

• Sociopathic managers, poor salary, no advancement, poor work-life balance(in 11 reviews)

nice place

Senior Software Architect (Current Employee) Stanford, CA

Prosthis was a specialized project, multi-year contract, which I enjoyed very much

ConsI found the Palo Alto/Stanford area very boring -- basically a "white-bread" upscale shopping mall sort of plave, not very culturally exciting.

Great environment, lots of work opportunities, challenging and stimulating work.

Senior Research Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsWork environment, work life balance, benefits, colleagues, supervisors, career opportunities. Pretty much everything else besides salary. Scenic campus, It is a pleasure to wake up and go to work.

Conscompensation, high cost of living on the peninsula. This is the tradeoff for a better, much less stressful quality of life, including shorter commute if you live close to the caltrain.

Filled with very smart people, exciting projects, and incredible area, but housing can be very expensive.

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Stanford, CA

Prosextremely intelligent people, cutting edge research, close proximity to exciting locations in the Bay Area. The extremely entrepreneurial culture fosters any ideas you may have and I can't think of a better place to pursue innovation

Conscan be very demanding because expectations are so high, however this really pushes you to fulfill your potential

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fantastic place to study.

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsTons of resources available to students, both for research and personal development. This is *the* place to be to study at any education level. This is the opportunity to study under the best in their field, no matter what field they're in. There is plenty to challenge anyone.

ConsGraduate school anywhere can be stressful, but this is more dependent upon the research group you work with. Salary for graduate students is of course low, but everyone knows that going in. I never thought so many people could live in such a wonderful place and spend all their time in labs not enjoying the outdoors.

Great place to work with great opportunities to expand on my career.

Motion Graphics Artist (Current Employee) Stanford, CA

ProsThe benefit are amazing with opportunities to continue ones education, retirement, and the work life balance. Working on campus gives you all the access to any facility including gyms and plenty of discount around town. The work environment is relaxed yet productive with the opportunity to be self managed.

ConsConstruction is going on all the time.

Great research environment, setup for success

Postdoctoral Scholar (Current Employee) Stanford, CA

ProsA solid grant/fellowship support system, career resources, and social support groups. An awesome campus, lots of facility/equipment access, and clear sunny days.

ConsFaculty are hard to access (compared to at least one other institution of similar report and esteem).

Great environment to push yourself.

Graduate Student (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsThe perfect place to pursue cutting edge research and entrepreneurship.

ConsAll-consuming, requires a lot of time commitment. Everyone is working long hours.

Administrative Associate

Administrative Associate (Current Employee) Stanford, CA

ProsIntellectual, multi-culture and Great benefits

Consnot that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementSome department managers don't have good leadership

great!

Resident Assistant (Current Employee) Stanford, CA

Prosamazing people, beautiful campus, etc

Consdealing with immature college kids.

Advice to Senior Managementwork out at the gyms

Great place to work. Salaries are higher than the marketplace.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTerrific dental insurance that covers dental implants to 3K per year.

ConsNo place to park due to deals made with the surrounding towns to curb traffic--continuous building out.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet luxury buses like the Google buses. Public transportation can take 2.5 hours each way--a major quality of life issue, especially with those who have children.

Worked for Stanford University? Contribute to the Community!