Stanford University

Updated September 18, 2014
4.1

Stanford University President John L. Hennessy
John L. Hennessy

Pros
  • For a physics department of this caliber, there's great work/life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Great Benefits; beautiful campus; lot of training (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • The number one problem is the inadequate salary regarding cost of living in the heart of the bay area (in 20 reviews)

• Sociopathic managers, poor salary, no advancement, poor work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

nice place

Current Employee - Senior Software Architect  in  Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Architect in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

this was a specialized project, multi-year contract, which I enjoyed very much

Cons

I found the Palo Alto/Stanford area very boring -- basically a "white-bread" upscale shopping mall sort of plave, not very culturally exciting.

Stanford is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people and wonderful location. The university takes care of the employees. Free gym membership, walking trails and many other perks. The work is interesting and many opportunities to meet new people. Can take classes to stay on top of your game.

Cons

Communication could be better at times. At least within my area. A huge downfall is driving on campus. The plus is the train is free for employees. Free shuttles all over campus.

There should be more opportunities for advancement.

Generally a positive experience

I have been working at Stanford University full-time

Pros

Great colleagues, excellent facilities, and good support for work.

Cons

Benefits for postodcs are not great, same for graduate students in STEM.

Consider paying STEM graduate students more.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Provides the broadest choices of career path under one employer.

I have been working at Stanford University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The opportunity to be amongst world-renowned scholars who are conducting life-changing research in both humanities and sciences everyday is priceless. As long as the employee is willing to explore and plan, there are many career paths to choose from on campus. Different training programs are available to enable mid-career changes. Subsidy for employees pursuing additional training, including academic degree. Tuition subsidy for employee's college-bound children. Health and dental benefits adequate. Increased commitment in employee's professional development. Stanford tries hard to provide free transportation options to employees to go to work so the high parking fee will not be an issue.

Cons

Departments almost always have a "flat" structure, making promotion within same department challenging. Most often, employees need to move to another department in order to get a higher level job.

Just your basic TA

I have been working at Stanford University part-time

Pros

Great Meeting new students
    It's very flexible
    Get to really master the subjects taught in the course
    I love Stanford!

Cons

Grading is always very time consuming
    Can be a hassle at times
    Hard to do with a full course load

Filled with very smart people, exciting projects, and incredible area, but housing can be very expensive.

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Stanford, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Stanford, CA

I worked at Stanford University full-time for less than a year

Pros

extremely intelligent people, cutting edge research, close proximity to exciting locations in the Bay Area. The extremely entrepreneurial culture fosters any ideas you may have and I can't think of a better place to pursue innovation

Cons

can be very demanding because expectations are so high, however this really pushes you to fulfill your potential

Amazing place to do a Masters degree in CS

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Stanford, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Stanford, CA

I worked at Stanford University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Your peers are super smart! The professors are very knowledgeable and work really hard to prepare for their classes. One can learn a lot from both the professors and their peers. I would also recommend taking some of the fun courses like dancing to get the most out of your time at Stanford.

Cons

You need to be on your toes and be ready for the gruelling schedule of the quarter system, it is definitely an effort to keep up with the pace.

Great place to work with great opportunities to expand on my career.

Current Employee - Motion Graphics Artist  in  Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Motion Graphics Artist in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefit are amazing with opportunities to continue ones education, retirement, and the work life balance. Working on campus gives you all the access to any facility including gyms and plenty of discount around town. The work environment is relaxed yet productive with the opportunity to be self managed.

Cons

Construction is going on all the time.

Great environment, lots of work opportunities, challenging and stimulating work.

Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Stanford University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work environment, work life balance, benefits, colleagues, supervisors, career opportunities. Pretty much everything else besides salary. Scenic campus, It is a pleasure to wake up and go to work.

Cons

compensation, high cost of living on the peninsula. This is the tradeoff for a better, much less stressful quality of life, including shorter commute if you live close to the caltrain.

A fantastic place to study.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Stanford University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Tons of resources available to students, both for research and personal development. This is *the* place to be to study at any education level. This is the opportunity to study under the best in their field, no matter what field they're in. There is plenty to challenge anyone.

Cons

Graduate school anywhere can be stressful, but this is more dependent upon the research group you work with. Salary for graduate students is of course low, but everyone knows that going in. I never thought so many people could live in such a wonderful place and spend all their time in labs not enjoying the outdoors.

Worked for Stanford University? Contribute to the Community!