Stanford University Reviews

866 reviews filtered by

1. Stimulating environment and cutting edge research

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Stanford University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with the smartest people in the world. Encouraging interdisciplinary research collaboration. Access to the high tech instruments that may not be available in other universities. Internal scientists often give worldclass lectures on campus. Invited speakers for seminars are usually significant contributors of the field.

Cons

Cumbersome reagent ordering system (if it's a non-catalog request). Poor processing of administration / bureaucracy (cumbersome paper work and sometimes missing paychecks...). Salary for researchers is disproportional to the extremely high living expenses in the bay area.

Please simplify the ordering system.

2. I am a PhD student only

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University

Pros

learn a lot; the colleagues are smart

Cons

do not have much spare time

3. I've been working as a civil engineering intern with Stanford Utilities Division. I learnt how to use AutoCAD.

Current Employee - Civil Engineering Intern in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineering Intern in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University

Pros

I was involved in a few water-related projects. Engineers there are super nice and you can learn a lot from them.

Cons

Nothing I can think of.

5. Media Relations

I worked at Stanford University

Pros

Fun people. Good camaraderie

Cons

Long/odd hours. Office politics play a role

6. It's a call center.

I worked at Stanford University part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is really great ($14.25/hour) and you get paid even more if you work over the 6 hour/week limit. You also get free food and it doesn't matter how much money you make, you won't get fired.

Cons

It's a call center. So you really have to be able to take rejection and rudeness well since you are asking for donations. I know there were really great perks but in the end the job wasn't worth it for me.

I think the management was great, and the perks were great, but the job just wasn't for me.

7. Great

I have been working at Stanford University

Pros

I am a research assistant (PhD student) here and it is lovely!

Cons

There is no cons... it is great in every aspect!

Stanford is an amazing place to work!

I have been working at Stanford University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stanford contributes to the cultural and scientific endowment of the world with groundbreaking research in science, medicine, engineering, and humanities. It's amazing to be a part of that. Stanford is the most entrepreneurial and exciting university in the world. There is no other quite like it.

Cons

The nature of a research university is to place faculty research, and the contribution of faculty, above all else. That can be kind of discouraging as a member of the support staff, that ones contribution will never rival the star status of faculty. Hard to argue with though, the faculty really are that awesome. 20+ nobel prize winners.

Your staff (not just faculty) can be innovators.

9. sucks

I have been working at Stanford University

Pros

shutdown, vacation time and plenty of sick time

Cons

poorly run institution, lacks a good Human Resources Group

10. Surrounded by great people

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Stanford is brimming with smart, interesting and talented people. I've had so many rich conversations and made lasting friendships with the people I've met there. Many opportunities to learn with an abundance of excellent lectures and seminar series across all disciplines in the university. Campus is gorgeous.

Cons

Located in one of the most expensive areas to live in the country; finding reasonably priced housing on a postdoctoral fellow or graduate student's salary can be challenging.

11. Great Place to work, Great non salary benefits

I have been working at Stanford University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stanford is a great place to work. Its a beautiful campus to come to every day. Depending on the area you work in the work-life balance is really good. If you have a family there are tons of additional benefits you can take advantage of.

Cons

Even though Stanford benefits are great, salary compensation (non academic) is not very good due to accelerating cost of living in the bay area. Stanford does not give performance bases raises. Everyone gets a cost of living adjustment regardless of performance. The last few years the average increase was around 3% which is drastically below cost of living increases across the bay area. Make sure you negotiate a good salary because salary advancement is virtually impossible without jumping around to different positions within the university.

Stanford is very 'academically' driven, meaning things are slow to change because of the consensus driven approach that every project has to take.

Stanford has moved a lot of the business offices off campus. So you may end up working in a business park and not on the main campus.

Stanford University Photos