Stanford University

Stanford University Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Stanford University President John L. Hennessy

John L. Hennessy

Pros
  • For a physics department of this caliber, there's great work/life balance(in 33 reviews)

• Great Benefits; beautiful campus; lot of training(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • The number one problem is the inadequate salary regarding cost of living in the heart of the bay area(in 20 reviews)

• The work life balance at Stanford tends to be pretty poor for graduate students, though this is the case at most universities(in 10 reviews)

402 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

nice place

Senior Software Architect (Current Employee) Stanford, CA

Prosthis was a specialized project, multi-year contract, which I enjoyed very much

ConsI found the Palo Alto/Stanford area very boring -- basically a "white-bread" upscale shopping mall sort of plave, not very culturally exciting.

Great place to work with great opportunities to expand on my career.

Motion Graphics Artist (Current Employee) Stanford, CA

ProsThe benefit are amazing with opportunities to continue ones education, retirement, and the work life balance. Working on campus gives you all the access to any facility including gyms and plenty of discount around town. The work environment is relaxed yet productive with the opportunity to be self managed.

ConsConstruction is going on all the time.

A fantastic place to study.

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsTons of resources available to students, both for research and personal development. This is *the* place to be to study at any education level. This is the opportunity to study under the best in their field, no matter what field they're in. There is plenty to challenge anyone.

ConsGraduate school anywhere can be stressful, but this is more dependent upon the research group you work with. Salary for graduate students is of course low, but everyone knows that going in. I never thought so many people could live in such a wonderful place and spend all their time in labs not enjoying the outdoors.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great environment to push yourself.

Graduate Student (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsThe perfect place to pursue cutting edge research and entrepreneurship.

ConsAll-consuming, requires a lot of time commitment. Everyone is working long hours.

Great research environment, setup for success

Postdoctoral Scholar (Current Employee) Stanford, CA

ProsA solid grant/fellowship support system, career resources, and social support groups. An awesome campus, lots of facility/equipment access, and clear sunny days.

ConsFaculty are hard to access (compared to at least one other institution of similar report and esteem).

Administrative Associate

Administrative Associate (Current Employee) Stanford, CA

ProsIntellectual, multi-culture and Great benefits

Consnot that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementSome department managers don't have good leadership

great!

Resident Assistant (Current Employee) Stanford, CA

Prosamazing people, beautiful campus, etc

Consdealing with immature college kids.

Advice to Senior Managementwork out at the gyms

beautiful place to work

Postdoctoral Scholar (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Prosit is a good place to work

Consthe salary is very low

student ambassador for Stanford Dining.

Stanford Dining Ambassador (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Prossome creative input, some flexibility for new programming, but ultimately constrained by

Conseverything always has to be approved and re-approved by executives and the marketing department, even if you have the key expertise over an area. It's a little ridiculous. Sometimes you might feel that you are not trusted to do your job thoroughly, and that you would somehow try to soil the brand if given the opportunity.

Meetings with management are extremely difficult to land, and you might get a cold email from a secretary telling you there is no time for an executive to discuss a certain matter with you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive students the time to talk when they need to talk. Meaning gets lost in email threads. Hear us out over the phone or schedule in-person meetings.

Research Associate

Research Associate (Current Employee) Stanford, CA

ProsLots of freedom, outstanding environment, low stress, smart people, lifetime benefits, and incentives to improve your health condition.

ConsBe prepared to be underpaid.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake action to reduce the bureaucracy to promote researchers to a senior position.

Worked for Stanford University? Contribute to the Community!