Stanford University

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Stanford University President John L. Hennessy

John L. Hennessy

286 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing place to work and learn

Basic Life Science Research Associate (Current Employee)
    Stanford, CA

ProsLots of support, great status, good benefits, access to amazing resources. One of the most beautiful campuses on earth, great food available, and many places to exercise in an absolutely phenomenal climate.

ConsOne of the most expensive places to live in the country / world. Bosses and mentors are self-selected to be workaholics, anti-social savants, and poorly-trained managers. There is lots of HR support if problems arise, but your experience will be heavily influence by the quality, ethics, and choices of your boss/mentor/PI.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnforce better management and mentorship training for professors who are expected to act as mentors/managers. Some of the management fails I have witness here are appalling. Word-class expertise in a specialty subject does not at all imply even a little aptitude for management skills or effective mentorship.

Great for graduate students!

Graduate Student- School of Medicine (Current Employee)
    Stanford, CA

Proscollegial environment, great resources, great minds, excellent collaborations

Consyou can get lost if you don't reach out

Physics research

Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee)
    Stanford, CA

ProsThe researchers and their work are world-class. For a physics department of this caliber, there's great work/life balance. The postdoc salaries are good relative to the rest of the field (though the field is, of course, horrible relative to the "real world").

ConsI don't have a lot of bad stuff to say. I loved it there. Parking on campus can be hard to come by, I suppose?

Advice to Senior ManagementStudents/postdocs would benefit from more insight into career trajectories that take them out of academia. I know that this is hard to do from within academia, but it's necessary.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stable, well resourced place

Stanford, CA

ProsStable environment and less volatile than the private sector, beautiful campus, great brand recognition.

ConsThere's a 2-class system with faculty and staff; people are nice but not mind blowingly impressive, the culture is such that mediocrity is often tolerated. If you function in a slightly more aggressive way than "we're all a family, let's not rock the boat", you may not be well received.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in people's career growth; think carefully how you can create a high-performance environment (not just at the level of lip service)

Mostly Great

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Stanford, CA

ProsStanford provides great benefits (caltrain passes, use of athletic facilities, discounted fitness classes and much more), work-life balance and a beautiful place to work. You get paid to bike to work. Lots of vacation time. Campus closes down for two weeks each winter.
    Work atmosphere will vary by department.

My department had a work from home day each week. It provided ample training and professional development opportunities. We had flexible work hours as well.

ConsParking on campus can be challenging.
    Some departments aren't that enjoyable to work for.
    Regular staff are being moved off of campus.

Administration Assitant

Administrative Associate (Current Employee)
    Stanford, CA

ProsJob has a lot of flexibility, growth opportunity, and great benefits. Work itself is very independent and requires self management.

ConsLong commute and the pay could be a little better.

OK salary but really high cost of living

Postdoctoral Scholar (Current Employee)
    Stanford, CA

ProsStanford looks nice on the CV, it probably helped me land an assistant professor job in a really good research university. People are very smart of course, which helps tremendously to develop a research program for the future.

ConsThe number one problem is the inadequate salary regarding cost of living in the heart of the bay area.
    A close second is the lack of recognition of post-docs: the salary is only a part of it. Post-docs are considered students, meaning they don't get staff benefits. But they don't get student benefits either. Rule of thumb is, if there is a perk out there for some category of the Stanford community, post-docs won't get it.

A good place to work, somewhat heavy on the administrative bureaucracy.

Stanford, CA

ProsHighly intelligent workforce doing interesting things. Fair pay overall, attractive benefits. Pleasant work environment. It employs a vast array of professionals in numerous categories and therefore makes for a good place to move within, laterally or up.

ConsA tendency to memorialize everything in formal policy. I'm not sure it's any worse than any other university, but it sometimes seems to hamper internal innovation and tends to discourage an entrepreneurial attitude amongst the workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening with an open mind. Beware of death-by-administration.

Stanford is incredible

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)
    Stanford, CA

ProsThe community, facilities and opportunities at Stanford are second to none. Yes, I am only a teaching assistant in the mechanical engineering department, but I have 0 complaints about anything and feel extremely fortunate to hold such a position.

ConsI cannot think of many, but if I had to name a few, it would just be the bureaucratic balogna that happens with such a large institution.

Student Services Officer

Student Services Officer (Current Employee)
    Stanford, CA

ProsGreat opportunity to work with graduate, undergraduate and postdoctoral students.

ConsThis job fluctuates with periods of high stress to low stress.

Worked for Stanford University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stanford University reviews and ratings in Stanford, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Stanford University CEO John L. Hennessy. All 286 reviews posted anonymously by Stanford University employees.