Stanford University

Updated October 15, 2014
4.2

Stanford University President John L. Hennessy
John L. Hennessy

Pros
  • There is a strong sense of community among staff and work-life balance is valued (in 38 reviews)

• Great Benefits; beautiful campus; lot of training (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • The number one problem is the inadequate salary regarding cost of living in the heart of the bay area (in 25 reviews)

• Sociopathic managers, poor salary, no advancement, poor work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

314 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing place to work and learn

Current Employee - Basic Life Science Research Associate in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Basic Life Science Research Associate in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of support, great status, good benefits, access to amazing resources. One of the most beautiful campuses on earth, great food available, and many places to exercise in an absolutely phenomenal climate.

Cons

One of the most expensive places to live in the country / world. Bosses and mentors are self-selected to be workaholics, anti-social savants, and poorly-trained managers. There is lots of HR support if problems arise, but your experience will be heavily influence by the quality, ethics, and choices of your boss/mentor/PI.

Enforce better management and mentorship training for professors who are expected to act as mentors/managers. Some of the management fails I have witness here are appalling. Word-class expertise in a specialty subject does not at all imply even a little aptitude for management skills or effective mentorship.

Great for graduate students!

Current Employee - Graduate Student- School of Medicine in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student- School of Medicine in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

collegial environment, great resources, great minds, excellent collaborations

Cons

you can get lost if you don't reach out

Physics research

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Stanford, CA
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Stanford, CA

I worked at Stanford University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The researchers and their work are world-class. For a physics department of this caliber, there's great work/life balance. The postdoc salaries are good relative to the rest of the field (though the field is, of course, horrible relative to the "real world").

Cons

I don't have a lot of bad stuff to say. I loved it there. Parking on campus can be hard to come by, I suppose?

Students/postdocs would benefit from more insight into career trajectories that take them out of academia. I know that this is hard to do from within academia, but it's necessary.

Stable, well resourced place

I have been working at Stanford University full-time

Pros

Stable environment and less volatile than the private sector, beautiful campus, great brand recognition.

Cons

There's a 2-class system with faculty and staff; people are nice but not mind blowingly impressive, the culture is such that mediocrity is often tolerated. If you function in a slightly more aggressive way than "we're all a family, let's not rock the boat", you may not be well received.

Invest more in people's career growth; think carefully how you can create a high-performance environment (not just at the level of lip service)

Mostly Great

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stanford provides great benefits (caltrain passes, use of athletic facilities, discounted fitness classes and much more), work-life balance and a beautiful place to work. You get paid to bike to work. Lots of vacation time. Campus closes down for two weeks each winter.
    Work atmosphere will vary by department.

My department had a work from home day each week. It provided ample training and professional development opportunities. We had flexible work hours as well.

Cons

Parking on campus can be challenging.
    Some departments aren't that enjoyable to work for.
    Regular staff are being moved off of campus.

Administration Assitant

Current Employee - Administrative Associate in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Associate in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Job has a lot of flexibility, growth opportunity, and great benefits. Work itself is very independent and requires self management.

Cons

Long commute and the pay could be a little better.

A good place to work, somewhat heavy on the administrative bureaucracy.

I have been working at Stanford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Highly intelligent workforce doing interesting things. Fair pay overall, attractive benefits. Pleasant work environment. It employs a vast array of professionals in numerous categories and therefore makes for a good place to move within, laterally or up.

Cons

A tendency to memorialize everything in formal policy. I'm not sure it's any worse than any other university, but it sometimes seems to hamper internal innovation and tends to discourage an entrepreneurial attitude amongst the workforce.

Keep listening with an open mind. Beware of death-by-administration.

Stanford is incredible

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The community, facilities and opportunities at Stanford are second to none. Yes, I am only a teaching assistant in the mechanical engineering department, but I have 0 complaints about anything and feel extremely fortunate to hold such a position.

Cons

I cannot think of many, but if I had to name a few, it would just be the bureaucratic balogna that happens with such a large institution.

Stanford is a power-house environment that needs to work on building a culture of social responsibility.

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Colleagues are almost all brilliant and driven, which elevates the work product and experience. Funding is strong. Students are great. Infrastructure is amazing. Environment is stunningly beautiful. Climate is perfect all year round. Salaries are competitive.

Cons

Colleagues could learn more humility, compassion, and social responsibility.

While it is nice to be in the gleaming tower of privilege, please learn to be a little less self-centered and to think about those less fortunate.

Student Services Officer

Current Employee - Student Services Officer in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Student Services Officer in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to work with graduate, undergraduate and postdoctoral students.

Cons

This job fluctuates with periods of high stress to low stress.

Stanford University Photos